Extreme Companion Gearing

First time poster here. I recently spent a ton of credits getting the best gear I could find for Vette (level 36 advanced mods, enhancements, armoring, barrel, and augments for every piece). Her HP is at 43k. So I have a few questions I'm hoping can be answered here: Is this typical of level 60 players' companions? Is 43k good for a companion? I did the same for my Sith Marauder. He's at 46k. Is that good for level 60 PvE? I appreciate any helpful replies. Thank you. Edited by Jomini_Thorn

HP is not an indication of good gear. in fact, if your mara is sitting at 56k hp, you should probably reexamine your gear, because it sounds like you're running high on endurance.

Edit: By Comparison, my Jugg tank is only sitting at 52k HP, with buffs and stim applied, in fully augmented 192's with 6 piece set bonus.

Edited by Andrellma

How can you even reach 53k health with level 36 mods :confused::confused:

I think he's referring to the name of the mod, not it's actual level. For example "Advanced Might Armoring 36" is a level 60 armoring, rating 186.

Awesome. Thank you for the help. Now about Vette. Is it wise to gear up a companion like that?

Companions don't really matter too much. I think you wasted your money, personally, because the free 192 companion set you get from Yavin is more than sufficient for gearing your companion out for any PVE content where companions are relevant. However, if you don't like the look of that gear (and most of us don't), then getting the mods and such and putting them in a look you do like is fine.

HP is not an indication of good gear. in fact, if your mara is sitting at 56k hp, you should probably reexamine your gear, because it sounds like you're running high on endurance.

Edit: By Comparison, my Jugg tank is only sitting at 52k HP, with buffs and stim applied, in fully augmented 192's with 6 piece set bonus.

Just as a corollary to this, remember that shield/absorb/tanking augs don't have endurance, but most of the other augs accuracy/crit/whatever do. So in my experience, it's not actually not unusual to see a DPS with potentially more HP than a tank, these days, because the tank has (rightly) focused on mitigation. Getting HP out of DPS augs is more of an unavoidable side effect than anything else.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

Just as a corollary to this, remember that shield/absorb/tanking augs don't have endurance, but most of the other augs accuracy/crit/whatever do. So in my experience, it's not actually not unusual to see a DPS with potentially more HP than a tank, these days, because the tank has (rightly) focused on mitigation. Getting HP out of DPS augs is more of an unavoidable side effect than anything else.

True, but even in my fully augmented DPS set (again, 192 with 6 piece) on the same toon, with buffs (stim isn't relevant for hp here) I have just shy of 51k. I know he has since corrected his numbers to 46k, which at 186 gear is pretty reasonable, when I made this post, I was working under the 56k number, which is absurdly high. Also, while tank augs don't have endurance, our armorings, implants, and earpieces run slightly higher endurance than the DPS counterparts.

If you really want to get the most out of companions, your presence needs a lot of attention. This means completing companion stories on as many companions as you can. I'm hitting 1045 presence and it gives a huge bonus to companions...

As a sage, I naturally put my dps gear on Nadia - I'll rarely use it when solo pve'ing. It's only a 2 piece set bonus so far (192) and a mix of looted mark 2 192's or comm bought 198 elsewhere.

It's only just recently become better than the 192 companion gear from Yavin, and still uses a few pieces of that as I don't need a whole separate set of armour for dps

Nadia's health comes out at 53084 with 2028-2421 melee damage, 1848 bonus damage, 111.65% force accuracy. Which is nice.

Just in the Yavin 192 comp gear, fully augged:

HK comes out at 51698, with 2114-2311 damage.

Qyzen comes out just a slither short of 62k health.

Get those companion stories finished :p

Edited by leehambly

If you really want to get the most out of companions, your presence needs a lot of attention. This means completing companion stories on as many companions as you can. I'm hitting 1045 presence and it gives a huge bonus to companions...

As a sage, I naturally put my dps gear on Nadia - I'll rarely use it when solo pve'ing. It's only a 2 piece set bonus so far (192) and a mix of looted mark 2 192's or comm bought 198 elsewhere.

It's only just recently become better than the 192 companion gear from Yavin, and still uses a few pieces of that as I don't need a whole separate set of armour for dps

Nadia's health comes out at 53084 with 2028-2421 melee damage, 1848 bonus damage, 111.65% force accuracy. Which is nice.

Just in the Yavin 192 comp gear, fully augged:

HK comes out at 51698, with 2114-2311 damage.

Qyzen comes out just a slither short of 62k health.

Get those companion stories finished :p

Yeah, I was focusing more on his character gearing. Presence will help out a lot with ompanions, as it increases their health, damage output, and heals output.

On my BH Merc I'm running with the 192 set bonus gear with a few 198 mods here and there for better boost etc so rather than use the legacy comp gear on Torian/Treek I use my old min maxed 192 Massassi gear on them instead, better stats and life than the 192 comp legacy gear, better DPS/Heals, plus Torian doesn't look like everyone else's damn Torian on fleet too -.-

Companions don't really matter too much. I think you wasted your money, personally, because the free 192 companion set you get from Yavin is more than sufficient for gearing your companion out for any PVE content where companions are relevant. However, if you don't like the look of that gear (and most of us don't), then getting the mods and such and putting them in a look you do like is fine.

Except the companion gear looks god awful....

Personally I only use the 192 set for the droid companions. That is it. I do the same thing you do. My character takes priority obviously, but when I have 190-192 gear for healer and dps, there is no more use for the basics, so I spend time gearing my companions =).

True, but even in my fully augmented DPS set (again, 192 with 6 piece) on the same toon, with buffs (stim isn't relevant for hp here) I have just shy of 51k. I know he has since corrected his numbers to 46k, which at 186 gear is pretty reasonable, when I made this post, I was working under the 56k number, which is absurdly high. Also, while tank augs don't have endurance, our armorings, implants, and earpieces run slightly higher endurance than the DPS counterparts.

Oh, I agree. I just wanted to throw the thing in there, just in case people were spending time looking for augs that didn't have end on them because people have a habit of taking advice literally, and saying to themselves "Oh, some dude on the forum said I shouldn't have HP"

Sorry missed this earlier...

Sufficient? Is that all we gear to? Sufficient? I don't know what content you are doing, but I don't think you need a companion at all apart from some of the sub 50 class quests.

What's companion relevant PVE content?

Sorry missed this earlier...

Sufficient? Is that all we gear to? Sufficient? I don't know what content you are doing, but I don't think you need a companion at all apart from some of the sub 50 class quests.

What's companion relevant PVE content?

Sure you do. Who else is going to kill all those trash mobs for you in the dailies while you go make coffee? :D

Nadia's entire raison d'etre is so that she can clear the BH H4 weekly while I post on here and occasionally alt-tab back to loot things.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

At level 60, my companions are in at least 186 gear with full 186 augments. I have a few like Treek and HK that use the Yavin 192 gear, but it is so ugly I won't use it on Vette or Elara...

Now that Elite comms are falling from the sky, I'm starting to put Vette, Elara, and others into 192 gear as I focus on 198 for my own toon.

Is all that needed? Not really, 178 blues without augments would be enough for companions for almost everything you'll use a companion for, but it is nice to have and makes solo FP easier.

Awesome. Thank you for the help. Now about Vette. Is it wise to gear up a companion like that?

I wouldn't spend credits or comms gearing any companions unless you really dislike the appearance of the 192 gear you can earn from the weekly mission on Yavin IV.

That said, there is a weekly mission on Yavin IV that can be done in about 1 hour that will get you a full set of 192 gear for the companion of your choice. There is another weekly mission to kill Revan that will get you a 192 weapon for one copanion, and a daily mission on Rishi that will give you a 192 offhand for your companion.

I would recommend making do with the 172 gear you get from the story missions on Rishi to gear any companion that uses the same primary stat that your character uses.

Once you have your favorite companion geared out in 192 gear, they should have around 48-51k health and do enough damage to nearly solo all of the daily missions on Yavin IV with you standing aside and watching. And each week you can do the weekly mission and fully gear another companion.

Save your credits for the augmentations you will need for your character's gear. Save your comms for 186 or better gear for yourself.

Edited by Orizuru

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.