The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Legacy Credit Bank

Joshuau

As has been discussed in the 197 other threads asking for this, its probably a no go until there is a way to prevent free to play and preferred from using this to bypass their restrictions on credits. (Be they not being able to transfer credits or exceed their credit cap)

Then you have the "what happens when someone goes from sub to preferred and gains all the limitations" issues. Lots of hassle to save people two seconds of mailing credits to themselves...

Edited by XiamaraSimi

The easy answer is:

1. Subs only.

2. If you go from sub to pref, you cannot access the legacy bank at all, and all of the credits there are locked up until you re-sub.

So, your answer is to hold ALL the credits in legacy storage hostage, even if that player who is now preferred still has room under the credit cap, or worse, if they had all their credits in legacy storage?

2. If you go from sub to pref, you cannot access the legacy bank at all, and all of the credits there are locked up until you re-sub.

Imagine this: You've gone to this one bank all your life, but you're moving, so you need to trasnfer the money out of the bank but the bank goes, "No, **** you, this stays here until you pay up." Yeah, not fun, right?

So, your answer is to hold ALL the credits in legacy storage hostage, even if that player who is now preferred still has room under the credit cap, or worse, if they had all their credits in legacy storage?

Fail to plan; plan to fail.

Before dropping to preferred, withdraw all credits from the legacy bank to the characters that will remain active once you drop to preferred. That way, credits in excess of the cap will be available through escrow unlocks.

(If withdrawing credits from the legacy bank to an individual character's credit balance isn't under discussion, it would have to be added, obviously.)

Really, it is that simple. Expecting the game to cover all possibilities so that the player doesn't have to manage the transition from sub to preferred is a red herring, as is expecting the game to cover any accidents (actual or claimed) of lapsed subs.

Certainly paying subs shouldn't be denied this feature because someone who let their sub lapse is potentially out less credits then you earn doing some dailies.

Certainly paying subs shouldn't be denied this feature because someone who let their sub lapse is potentially out less credits then you earn doing some dailies.

Because it such a horrendous and gigantic effort to spend a few minutes using the already existing mail system to send credits between characters.

That already existing mail system allows for subscribers to transfer credits between characters while still maintaining all the credit restrictions that apply to F2P and preferred players.

Don't get me wrong. I would also like to see legacy credit storage, provided it can be implemented in such a way as to maintain all the credit restrictions that apply to F2P and preferred while not holding any credits in legacy storage ( up to the credit cap) should a player drop from subscriber to preferred.

Unless I am mistaken, BW has already stated that they do not plan to implement legacy credit storage, though.

I can only guess at the reason why, but I would guess it is the potential problems that legacy storage could cause.

The easy answer is:

1. Subs only.

Thats probably a way to increase F2P players if the removed it.

It could work similar to Escrow. If you have, for example, 50k credits in your inventory, and 600k credits in legacy storage, 300k credits will be moved to your inventory, and 300k will be locked in bank. Simple? Simple.

I don't know why we should suffer because of people who don't want to pay for the game.

It could work similar to Escrow. If you have, for example, 50k credits in your inventory, and 600k credits in legacy storage, 300k credits will be moved to your inventory, and 300k will be locked in bank. Simple? Simple.

I don't know why we should suffer because of people who don't want to pay for the game.

Player A is a subscriber who has 11 characters. One of those characters places 10 million in legacy credit storage, leaving 50,000 credits in that character's inventory. The other 10 each place 100,000 credits into legacy storage, again leaving 50,000 credits in each character's inventory. There is a now a total of 11 million in legacy storage and all 11 of player A's characters each have 50,000 in their inventory.

Player A now drops to preferred, for whatever reason. How much do you transfer from legacy credit storage to each character?

If you say 300,000 to bring each character to the credit cap, then you are allowing the restriction against transferring credits between characters to be bypassed, as only one character placed more than 100,000 credits into legacy storage.

If you say that each character only receives what they put into legacy storage, up to the credit cap, then you are asking BW to incur additional database load to track how many credits each character placed into legacy storage. Additionally, how does BW determine which "character's credits" are used for any purchase made using credits from legacy credit storage?

If you say "they aren't even paying to play, just leave all the credits in legacy storage until they resubscribe", then you are holding those credits hostage, even though the player has room under the cap for credits they earned and still have.

As I said, I think the potential problems with respect to the credit restrictions that F2P and preferred have make legacy credit storage a more difficult to implement than many seem to think it is. As much as I would like to see legacy credit storage, in this case I think that is a can of worms that may be best left unopened.

• 2 weeks later...
Imagine this: You've gone to this one bank all your life, but you're moving, so you need to trasnfer the money out of the bank but the bank goes, "No, **** you, this stays here until you pay up." Yeah, not fun, right?

This is what happens anyway with escrow. All they need to do is make the credit storage like escrow but let Subs have access to it. I just hope they figure it out. Trying to remember what alt has what is not so fun lol

/signed...

for whatever issues this might cause F2P or preferred players... subs should be taken care of first...

Being a subscriber does NOT entitle a player to everything they want.

I can think of many things that would be nice to have, but that may be much more problematic to implement than they are worth. A legacy bank is one of those things, especially since the ONLY thing a legacy bank would do is to save a few seconds and the huge and monumental effort required to use the fully functioning mail system that is already in place to send credits between characters.

You want to argue that you have to toon hop to see which toon has the credits? Set one toon as your "banker" and have that toon hold the majority of credits so you always know which toon has the credits.

You want to argue that you might "accidentally send the credits to a complete stranger"? Enclose one of the many easily available pieces of legacy gear (many of which are simply given to you for FREE) to ensure that any credits sent stay within your legacy.

Being a subscriber does NOT entitle a player to everything they want.

I can think of many things that would be nice to have, but that may be much more problematic to implement than they are worth. A legacy bank is one of those things, especially since the ONLY thing a legacy bank would do is to save a few seconds and the huge and monumental effort required to use the fully functioning mail system that is already in place to send credits between characters.

You want to argue that you have to toon hop to see which toon has the credits? Set one toon as your "banker" and have that toon hold the majority of credits so you always know which toon has the credits.

You want to argue that you might "accidentally send the credits to a complete stranger"? Enclose one of the many easily available pieces of legacy gear (many of which are simply given to you for FREE) to ensure that any credits sent stay within your legacy.

I see. You expect subs to jump through hoops sending legacy gear with credits and remember things like whicht toon has what, yet it's apparently asking too much for people who have to be AWARE they are dropping from sub to preferred to take their credits out of the legacy bank if they want the max escrow available for each toon they have. Subs must take responsibility for their actions while the poor preferred players need BW to hold their hands so they don't screw their individual escrow amounts up. Personally, I don't think subs should be denied a feature that would make our lives easier on the off chance that someone not even paying for the game will moan if they don't have access to as many credits as they could have had. How about preferred take on some responsibility for their credit management, like the grown people we all say we are when we sign the ToS?

I see. You expect subs to jump through hoops sending legacy gear with credits and remember things like whicht toon has what, yet it's apparently asking too much for people who have to be AWARE they are dropping from sub to preferred to take their credits out of the legacy bank if they want the max escrow available for each toon they have. Subs must take responsibility for their actions while the poor preferred players need BW to hold their hands so they don't screw their individual escrow amounts up. Personally, I don't think subs should be denied a feature that would make our lives easier on the off chance that someone not even paying for the game will moan if they don't have access to as many credits as they could have had. How about preferred take on some responsibility for their credit management, like the grown people we all say we are when we sign the ToS?

"GIMME!! GIMME!! GIMME!! I want it and I want it now and to heck with anyone else."

Good luck getting the devs to listen. They already addressed this issue when they implemented legacy storage. As far as I know, the answer was, and still is "NO". Of course, that does notg stop the "entitled, have to have it now and for as little cost and effort as possible crowd, and to heck with anyone else as long as I get what I want" crowd from continuing to stamp their feet and pester the devs like a petulant 5 year old who's mommy said he can't have a cookie.

"Maybe if we keep pestering they'll give us what we want to shut us up".

As I have said before may times, I would like to see legacy credit storage, PROVIDED it can be implemented in such a way as to maintain ALL of the credit restrictions that F2P and preferred have and also does not hold any credits in legacy storage (up to the credit cap) hostage should a player drop from subscriber to preferred, for any reason.

Maybe some other subscribers can start acting like grown people and accept that sometimes we can't have what we want.

Edited by Ratajack

I see. You expect subs to jump through hoops sending legacy gear with credits...

How about they just keep their mail warning active for when they try to mail something to a character outside of their legacy?

You disabled the warning? Too much trouble to have to click it off because you mail stuff to strangers often?

Then you are already accepting the risk of mailing to the wrong person.

This isn't "jumping through hoops", it is maintaining reasonable safeguards.

You can mail credits to other characters. There is no problem other than the one people are trying to pretend exists.

Unless I am mistaken, BW has already stated that they do not plan to implement legacy credit storage, though.

I can only guess at the reason why, but I would guess it is the potential problems that legacy storage could cause.

Curious - can anyone recall or find a Dev comment about this? (i.e. not planning to implement?)

As for this conundrum about the problems it could cause, couldn't it just know the Legacy total? If you drop from Subscriber to Preferred, the Legacy cap kicks in. If the total of credits currently withheld by all characters on the account (legacy) does not total the cap, then the difference is available via the Bank kiosk. If the total is over the cap, then the kiosk is completely unavailable, with the remaining in escrow. :cool:

And obviously, I +1 this idea. It is my #1 wish. I hate emailing, and the fears that a glitch will occur when emailing a large amount.

Edited by Code_Airwolf