MMORPG's work like this

Jagerinho

The most common thing I'm hearing on these forums is that Bioware should of been able to produce a game with similar polish to that of WoW. The reason being is that Bioware have seen how a good mmo is made, and therefore have no excuse.

Unfortunately these people fail to realise that these games do have a budget and a timeframe, and while Bioware may want to spend years and years developing a game, having next to no bugs and having the same amount of content as a game of WoW's ilk, their budget would not of allowed it.

The aim for any MMO is too try and find a balance of releasing a playable game, within a reasonable time frame. Once the game is released, the company will have steady income and can continue to work on their game.

I know people are frustrated, but patients is key, and one day when the 3rd expansion is released, you will be reminiscing about how you were there in the beginning, playing Vanilla SWTOR and bragging to new people how old school you are.

SWTOR will be something special, if you have issues with the game or have suggestions, be more articulate and proactive in your suggestions, rather than saying "This game is ****, Bioware have failed"

Sorry for any grammatical errors/spelling mistakes, its late and has been christmas and quite drunk :-) hopefully the spirit of this post will shine through any mistakes made! :-)

-- EDIT

People are still spouting the same sh*t, making new threads.

I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong and give me a good argument.... Or maybe that's why the haters don't reply to this thread, because there is nothing to say and they know they are wrong.

Edited by Jagerinho

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most common thing I'm hearing on these forums is that Bioware should of been able to produce a game with similar polish to that of WoW. The reason being is that Bioware have seen how a good mmo is made, and therefore have no excuse.

Unfortunately these people fail to realise that these games do have a budget and a timeframe, and while Bioware may want to spend years and years developing a game, having next to no bugs and having the same amount of content as a game of WoW's ilk, their budget would not of allowed it.

The aim for any MMO is too try and find a balance of releasing a playable game, within a reasonable time frame. Once the game is released, the company will have steady income and can continue to work on their game.

I know people are frustrated, but patients is key, and one day when the 3rd expansion is released, you will be reminiscing about how you were there in the beginning, playing Vanilla SWTOR and bragging to new people how old school you are.

SWTOR will be something special, if you have issues with the game or have suggestions, be more articulate and proactive in your suggestions, rather than saying "This game is ****, Bioware have failed"

Sorry for any grammatical errors/spelling mistakes, its late and has been christmas and quite drunk :-) hopefully the spirit of this post will shine through any mistakes made! :-)

3rd expansion?

I'm sorry sir but it's gonna be a miracle if there's even 1 expansion by the way things are looking.

They didn't even make enough money out of preorders to cover up costs and free month is over "soon". Once it is how many do you think will keep subbing after seeing this isn't really an MMO.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Skeelol

There is little patience in the MMO community these days. If a game isnt perfect and doesn't have the features they want implemented in a particular way, then it's a fail as far as many players are concerned. Edited by Mandrax

I don't understand where the idea of 'lack of polish' comes from.

I think there's some clunky class design going on in the SW/JK dual saber advanced class trees, but generally nothing macros won't fix.

This game is profoundly polished. I invite its critics to cite any 'lack of polish' that is as equally offensive or more offensive than WoW vanilla's launch, or WAR's launch. Both of those games had biblical plagues compared to SWTOR's teething pains.

I have the feeling that a lot of people complaining on this forum either have never participated in an MMO launch before, or they put on their rose-colored glasses and forget what it was like.

I have been a part of numerous MMO launches in the past: WoW, LotRO, Warhammer, Aion. I can honestly say that this is the best one of them all. I know some people have had technical problems, but I have literally had zero. Either I'm extremely lucky, or those other people are doing something wrong. Either way, this has been the most successful MMO launch I've witnessed.

People like to forget how WoW launched. I remember waiting days to play and re-rolling on several servers because they constantly went down. I remember the loot bug and many others.

Also, an MMO does not come out of the box finished and completely polished. It is a constant work in progress, unlike single player games. I read about people complaining about instancing and the world feeling empty. Bioware themselves have stated that instancing would be removed once things got stabilized. People complain about the graphics not working as intended. Yes, this should have been fixed before release but it WILL BE fixed. Bioware is not stupid, and EA wants their money. The problems people have will be dealt with.

Anyone throwing a nerd fit and threatening to cancel their subscription 5 days after an MMO launch is being an impatient baby. Plain and simple. I went to college for video game production for a long time, before finally changing my major. I learned a lot of things. I would like to see the people complaining make their own MMO, and release it without any bugs or flaws. Then they would have a right to cry.

As for me, I'm enjoying the game despite the small flaws and annoyances I've run into. And I know I'm not the only one.

Preorder numbers already speak for themselves. It's not even the 2-3 mil they initially had, it's more like 1 mil if even.

Those figures were released on the 20th? and don't forget it has been christmas. and at christmas people get presents.

The New year will be a better indication of numbers.

Anyway, I really hope this thread can make people realise how game development works, and will give the game time - even if its just one person! It will make my mini essay worth it

3rd expansion?

I'm sorry sir but it's gonna be a miracle if there's even 1 expansion by the way things are looking.

They didn't even make enough money out of preorders to cover up costs and free month is over "soon". Once it is how many do you think will keep subbing after seeing this isn't really an MMO.

Source please?

Those figures were released on the 20th? and don't forget it has been christmas. and at christmas people get presents.

The New year will be a better indication of numbers.

Anyway, I really hope this thread can make people realise how game development works, and will give the game time - even if its just one person! It will make my mini essay worth it

22nd. Also, Christmas presents ..really? This isn't really the game to gift to your kids, have you seen the kind of choices you get while playing a sith? Implied mass violence like this is even worse than visual one.

Anyway.

You realize that Bioware spent 6 years developing this game and had the largest budget ever for an MMO?

So yeah, there were money and time constraints-- the most liberal money and time constraints any MMO has ever had. Trion made Rift in half the time and on a third of the budget and the game was more polished and fully-featured on release. However, it lacks the story elements that TOR has.

In other words, the money and time BW invested in SWTOR went primarily to the voice-overs, and that's the issue many people have with this game. The worlds are no larger or more diverse than games made on a fraction of the budget or in a fraction of the time. In fact, in many ways the game is more limited and restricted than those other games because of the story.

Edited by Mannic

I have the feeling that a lot of people complaining on this forum either have never participated in an MMO launch before, or they put on their rose-colored glasses and forget what it was like.

I have been a part of numerous MMO launches in the past: WoW, LotRO, Warhammer, Aion. I can honestly say that this is the best one of them all. I know some people have had technical problems, but I have literally had zero. Either I'm extremely lucky, or those other people are doing something wrong. Either way, this has been the most successful MMO launch I've witnessed.

People like to forget how WoW launched. I remember waiting days to play and re-rolling on several servers because they constantly went down. I remember the loot bug and many others.

Also, an MMO does not come out of the box finished and completely polished. It is a constant work in progress, unlike single player games. I read about people complaining about instancing and the world feeling empty. Bioware themselves have stated that instancing would be removed once things got stabilized. People complain about the graphics not working as intended. Yes, this should have been fixed before release but it WILL BE fixed. Bioware is not stupid, and EA wants their money. The problems people have will be dealt with.

Anyone throwing a nerd fit and threatening to cancel their subscription 5 days after an MMO launch is being an impatient baby. Plain and simple. I went to college for video game production for a long time, before finally changing my major. I learned a lot of things. I would like to see the people complaining make their own MMO, and release it without any bugs or flaws. Then they would have a right to cry.

As for me, I'm enjoying the game despite the small flaws and annoyances I've run into. And I know I'm not the only one.

I wasn't a part of WoW launch so I can't comment - but I found Lotro's launch pretty impressive, not so much for warhammers....

But yes, SWTOR has been the best for me as well.

Again I think it's peoples high expectations, lack of understanding game development and lack of game launch experiences

I have my gripes with this game, tbh the interface and bugs and makes life easier for you features in this game are not even where Rift was at launch. However the game is something that I never really got in Rift, and that is something fun, and a story/world I care about. I've tried a couple MMOs after wow and this is the first one that has me excited.

Yes there are problems, but the game itself is fun enough that I will continue to play until they are addressed and I continue to have fun or not and I start to not have fun anymore. They have obviously not failed, but when you charge 15 a month the question "What have you done for me lately" is valid.

Popularity is not always indicative of a quality product

True, very true.

However i bought SWToR in hopes of being immersed in a new quality MMO and was hugely disappointed just like many others around here.. because it doesn't feel like an MMO at all.

So i'm not gonna call this a quality product either.

Edited by Skeelol

You realize that Bioware spent 6 years developing this game and had the largest budget ever for an MMO?

So yeah, there were money and time constraints-- the most liberal money and time constraints any MMO has ever had. Trion made Rift in half the time and on a third of the budget and the game was more polished and fully-featured on release. However, it lacks the story elements that TOR has.

In other words, the money and time BW invested in SWTOR went primarily to the voice-overs, and that's the issue many people have with this game. The worlds are no larger or more diverse than games made on a fraction of the budget or in a fraction of the time. In fact, in many ways the game is more limited and restricted than those other games because of the story.

According to wikipedia, writing started in 06, development started in 08.

Regardless, your point is invalid, as WoW was in development for just as long + 7 years of it being released.

As someone who has played every major, and most minor, MMO releases since UO, some of you people are seriously delusional.

SWTOR is one of the cleanest and most polished MMO launches in history.

If you played Anarchy Online at release, you'd understand what a buggy game was. And speaking of bugs, WoW was a mess at release, and still to this day has bugs that have been in the game since release....like not dropping out of combat long after you've dropped out of combat for instance.

I run the game for hours at a time with no issues, when I log back on my character is in the same state that I left it, that in and of itself constitutes a good MMO release.

Not sure what it is about MMOs that always attracts these "the sky is falling" type of personalities, but the hyperbole gets pretty laughable.

3rd expansion?

:rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Are you taking your info from all the negative forum posts because if you are that's dumb because they don't make up even half of the population of this game.

You might want to look up some facts before you comment on things you obviously don't know.