The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

does any one else prefer the vanguard animations over PT

Almost universally I prefer the Vanguard over the PT animations.

The one (and I do mean 1) exception is while moving (key word on moving) I think rocket punch looks better. From the stand still position however I like Stockstrike more.

I would say flamethrower is also better but I always seem to **** up the cone of the flamethrower and Im constantly missing targets. So because of that I like Pulse cannon because I can actually tell where the cone is.

I like how Mortar Volley feels like a grenade launcher volley giving it a lot of omf, how explosive surge is the trooper pressing a button the their armor to set off an explosive originating from the suite (same with neural surge).

Troopers rely on their weapon and their armor to get the job done.

PTs use an endless supply of missiles (which I find very dumb) and fire from their wrist. I dont even know why they have a weapon if they never intend to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished leveling my Vangaurd to 60, and have decided I prefer the feel of it to my PT after all.

Not because of the animations -- I still hate Stockstrike with a deep passion. Instead, I discovered that blaster rifles are way cooler than pistols. I mean, that wonderful noise when I use Hammer Shots? Or Tactical Surge? It makes me want to spam them over and over even when I have an auto-crit Cell Burst ready to go.

If only I could have a mixture of PT and VG as far as animations go!

Absolutely hate pulse cannon, mortar volley, and harpoon coming from the rifle. Mortar Volley being the most ridiculous of all. I've suggested awhile ago to change the animation of Mortar Volley to something reminiscent of Orbital Strike.

Aside from just liking the aesthetic of rifles over pistols, stockstrike is better than rocket punch, and I also prefer gut over Retractable Blade... but that's about all Vanguard has over PT. PT Shoulder Cannon look far better than the squirt gun looking thing VG has. I can't say I care at all for the left hand throws of grenades that both classes do either.

All in all, I prefer PT much more. I love that their weapon is their suit and all of their abilities aren't being forced/crammed into their gun.

Almost universally I prefer the Vanguard over the PT animations.

PTs use an endless supply of missiles (which I find very dumb) and fire from their wrist. I dont even know why they have a weapon if they never intend to use it.

I've no problem with Bounty Hunters using their do-everything wrist launchers for most of their abilities (and a few others with their jetpacks) any more than I do with Troopers using their do-everything blaster rifles for most of their abilities (and a few others with their power/shield generators). The only problem I see with the Trooper is that while just about every Bounty Hunter armor includes wrist launchers and jetpacks to accommodate their abilities, most blaster rifles don't look like they could fire grenades or mortar rounds. I actually like the concept of multi-function rifles (just look at Judge Dredd's Lawgiver Pistol, an awesome multi-function weapon in its own right, and imagine it scaled up into rifle form), but I like them more if they look like they can fulfill those functions.

On the other hand, between the popularity of adaptive armors and the Outfit Designer, and the inclusion of blaster rifles that definitely look like they could fire explosive rounds (such as Obroan, Dread Forged, and Revanite/Dark Reaver blaster rifles), I feel this isn't worth worrying about anymore.

As much as I'd love to see Vanguards do some of the Bounty Hunter stuff with their armor, it won't happen. Troopers are supposed to be like those Republic soldiers from Star Wars - The Clone Wars. I wish they weren't, but they are...

Unbreakable Veteran and early trooper PvP armors definitely look like they could potentially accommodate stuff like that (in fact, we've seen a Mandalorian, Mavrix Varad, wearing this variety of armor). They have what appear to be wrist launchers and shoulder mounted missiles, and the chest piece's backpack has what could be a jet or rocket nozzle on it. I also distinctly recall an ARC Trooper having a wrist-mounted grapple/taser, as well as instances of clone troopers with jetpacks. It's too bad that armors don't have unique animations beyond jetpack exhaust.

Edited by Crimson_Paladin

I prefer most of the animations on the BH to the Vanguard.

I do like Stock Strike though, and Mortar Volley is not too bad.

But I hate the Running Leap, why not just Leap to the target, and not a fan of the Electrical Cone attack, it sems like a delay of when the damage hits the target.

I prefer pretty much every BH animation over the Vanguard's, but I still play Vanguard instead of PT because of the aesthetics of the class. I will explain:

I love the lore around the Grand Army of the Republic, the Clones, etc. I feel like the Clone Troopers are the perfect example of what a Republic soldier should be like and look like. Running into battle with that iconic armor and an assault rifle just feels right as a trooper. By contrast, I hate the look of the Commando's assault cannon. I know in the cinematics Jace Malcom used the cannon, but it always looked absolutely absurd to me and the idea of a front line fast assault trooper in Havoc Squad toting around a monstrosity like that is laughable.

Likewise, I went Mercenary on my Bounty Hunter because I feel like the Jango Fett-style double blasters just fits the role better (would have preferred a Boba-style carbine, but I'll take what I could get). It never made sense to me for a Bounty Hunter who is essentially a one-man-army to roll in with only a single pistol. The double blasters just makes sense to me for the class.

Edited by MikeFL

By contrast, I hate the look of the Commando's assault cannon. I know in the cinematics Jace Malcom used the cannon, but it always looked absolutely absurd to me and the idea of a front line fast assault trooper in Havoc Squad toting around a monstrosity like that is laughable.
While I'm not a fan of the assault cannon either, every squad or platoon absolutely would have had atleast one heavy gunner. So it makes does make sense. Front line doesn't mean charging into melee.

The only thing that i really don't like on VG... Is that silly animated running-through-air Storm over the glorious Jet CHarge. It looks okay on flat surfaces, but on slopes/Huttball ramps/etc it's just awfully bad, especially on diagonal directions. :csw_jabbapet: