The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What can I do to make my sage viable now?

tbathory

Ok I don't want to be a qqer but this nerf is really frustrating me. I used to be able to take lvl 53 creatures with 30.000 + hit points with Qysen as my companion. Was not easy fights and would be challenging. NOW I can't do enough damage or keep Qysen healed and I am getting my a** handed to me. My gear is good (oranges and purples) but I am just getting anywhere near the damage I used to. I go in Qyzen and I shielded and yet it is dead before I can get a quarter of the 30,000 hps down.

This is really frustrating. On and taking patient zero in "Raid on Arcanum" is now impossible. Is it me or has this class just unplayable now?

Ok I don't want to be a qqer but this nerf is really frustrating me. I used to be able to take lvl 53 creatures with 30.000 + hit points with Qysen as my companion. Was not easy fights and would be challenging. NOW I can't do enough damage or keep Qysen healed and I am getting my a** handed to me. My gear is good (oranges and purples) but I am just getting anywhere near the damage I used to. I go in Qyzen and I shielded and yet it is dead before I can get a quarter of the 30,000 hps down.

This is really frustrating. On and taking patient zero in "Raid on Arcanum" is now impossible. Is it me or has this class just unplayable now?

being a healer is always an option lol

1. Examine your abilities and check your rotation.

2. Get some decent equipment for you and Quzen.

3. Adjust.

Just checked my "finished" Sorc (Lightning) and my level 27 Sage (TK) yesterday for a good amount of time. Both did well. Can't say much of how the Sorc plays in Ops or PvP right now, but everything else is fine. Am I right that you're capped at level 50? If the answer to my question ist "Yes!", change that!

You may want to look at some guides and make sure you are using the correct rotation. Except to some extent for HM OPs, the nerf had virtually no impact on the viability (or ability) of a Sage/Sorc to do other PvE content. It did make the rotation a little clunky though.

Aside from a few alterations to my rotation cycles, I haven't really noticed much of a change to my DPS on either the Sage or Soc. The AOE has a shorter cast time, sure, but you can easily tap it again. Oddly enough, Ive noticed that my DPS with single target abilities has gone up, I have no idea why. Perhaps its my build? Oh well,

Did all my dailies with both toons and the mobs are still dropping like flies. I,E I still love my Sage/Sorc

What can I do to make my sage viable now? Roll up a PowerTech/Vanguard because Sage/Sorcs are currently a disappointing waste.

Oh yea because people abandon their Sharpshooter Gunslingers and Gunnery Commandos as well since their dps is just about as weak as Telekinetics Sage...

Telekinetics is where it should be now and there is nothing wrong with the spec when talking viability. The AoE thing is maybe a bit painfull (haven't had much chance yet to raid on my sorc since patch) but at least it is sustainable. The other ranged might have stronger AoE, but also less sustainable AoE (you quickly run out of energy).

Balance is still an issue although a guildie of mine is using it again since it hits about the same as Telekinetics. Balance should be upped a little but Bioware has to be cautious, I heard the DoT spread is painful in PvP.

Oh yea because people abandon their Sharpshooter Gunslingers and Gunnery Commandos as well since their dps is just about as weak as Telekinetics Sage...

Telekinetics is where it should be now and there is nothing wrong with the spec when talking viability. The AoE thing is maybe a bit painfull (haven't had much chance yet to raid on my sorc since patch) but at least it is sustainable. The other ranged might have stronger AoE, but also less sustainable AoE (you quickly run out of energy).

Balance is still an issue although a guildie of mine is using it again since it hits about the same as Telekinetics. Balance should be upped a little but Bioware has to be cautious, I heard the DoT spread is painful in PvP.

The AoE nerf actually just put Forcequake in line with Sweeping Gunfire and Hail of Bolts. Not good enough to use in a single target rotation, but still excellent for AoE. That plus it's sustainably spammable for any reasonable fight. People like to forget about a TK Sage's other AoE ability, you know that hard hitter called TK Wave, which is still in rotation and still hits 8 targets for a large amount. The outcry about the nerf to Forcequake and the slight nerf to single target is a serious kneejerk overreaction. As you said, TK Sages are now roughly in line if not ahead of Sharpshooter Gunslingers and Gunnery Commandos, which is exactly where they need to be.

I have been using http://dulfy.net/2014/12/18/swtor-3-0-telekinetics-sage-dps-guide-by-ktap/ guide for my sage since the I started her but now I am not sure about the rotation because as I said I am getting pounded now by lvl 53s with 30,000 hps like I never used to get pounded. Is there another source where I can educate myself oh a better rotation?

If you're on Makeb, use the GSI bolster.

The AoE nerf actually just put Forcequake in line with Sweeping Gunfire and Hail of Bolts. Not good enough to use in a single target rotation, but still excellent for AoE. That plus it's sustainably spammable for any reasonable fight. People like to forget about a TK Sage's other AoE ability, you know that hard hitter called TK Wave, which is still in rotation and still hits 8 targets for a large amount. The outcry about the nerf to Forcequake and the slight nerf to single target is a serious kneejerk overreaction. As you said, TK Sages are now roughly in line if not ahead of Sharpshooter Gunslingers and Gunnery Commandos, which is exactly where they need to be.

Sweeping Gunfire and Hail of Bolts now both do superior damage to Force Quake. Sweeping is significantly better as it did basically the same DPS as Quake before the nerf.

Sweeping Gunfire and Hail of Bolts now both do superior damage to Force Quake. Sweeping is significantly better as it did basically the same DPS as Quake before the nerf.

I misremembered about Sweeping doing a couple extra ticks. Still, it's more than compensated for by TK Wave.

I misremembered about Sweeping doing a couple extra ticks. Still, it's more than compensated for by TK Wave.

Oh, to be clear, I agree that TK is not suffering on the AoE department. But Quake is pretty bad now. I'm significantly more annoyed for my healing Sage. My Balance main couldn't care less.