Using your starfighter on regular missions?

StreenYnr

I'm a little new to the whole starfighter system unfortunately, and I purchased a gunship before I got to the point where I could launch from Coruscant. I assumed that I would be able to use whatever ship I bought once I got to space, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Have I missed something? Is it EVER possible to use your purchased ship as your personal ship?

It would be, but it would have to be different. The personal ships are much larger than the starfighters. They can't maneuver nearly as well, and have a lot more armaments. The engine limiting issue is that every GSF ship is mostly a smallish cube, and the fact that you can't miss by shooting betwixt the wings of a Bloodmark is No Big Deal, because it's mostly a wash. The player ships vary in size and shape and are so large you'd have to make them actual polygonal objects with a version of hit detection absent in GSF.

They are just too big.

It would be, but it would have to be different. The personal ships are much larger than the starfighters. They can't maneuver nearly as well, and have a lot more armaments. The engine limiting issue is that every GSF ship is mostly a smallish cube, and the fact that you can't miss by shooting betwixt the wings of a Bloodmark is No Big Deal, because it's mostly a wash. The player ships vary in size and shape and are so large you'd have to make them actual polygonal objects with a version of hit detection absent in GSF.

They are just too big.

This video disagrees with that assertion and shows that Bioware blew it in this regard as far as sticking with movie cannon.

at 2:25 you see the Falcon out turn tie fighters

again from 2:55 - 3:02 this time out flying Tie fighters and shooting them down

They are just too big.

You are right, not even the biggest gunship or bomber models get close to the player ships. I initially had the models from the old space missions in mind, which seem to be only about twice as big as a scout.

Edited by Teiichi