The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard PVP DPS Specs?

ddldave

I guess I should mention I am solo qing with no healer.

That spec I posted isn't for tankyness really at all. If you have a cell other than plasma running in that spec it doesnt work well (or at all really). Its all about big crits and huge burst as well as sustained range dots to stop captures. Some times your hitting HIB every other button push for free. Vanguards are pretty tanky without any gear or spec towards it anyway. Cryonade, neural surge, poon, Adrenalin rush and reload cells keep us in the fray.

I don't see the point in improving anything to do with pulse cannon. Movement is life for the assault spec. If I have to plant my feet I am probably swarmed and dead. Aside from that anyone worth their sub is going to cc you in some way as soon as they see it start.

I've been watching this thread since it started, but I am still confused to way Vans want to have more DPS, well, I do understand in a way. While grinding myself up the line to 50, I always would say, "UGH, no DPS." It wasn't until well into 50 and hundreds of WZs later that the true mission of the Vanguard came to me. I don't care about DPS, DPS doesn't win WZs, team work does, and hitting the right person, at the right time does too.

I am a Shield Guard, 33/6/2, In WZs and on Illum, I make it my mission to Harass healers, push them away from their team, CC them in hopes they pay more attention to their own survival then to their team mates. I usually try to pick the highest DPS'r hit him with jolt and sonic and move on as he does nothing to hit targets for a few seconds. I rarely if ever chase someone around to kill them, I feel the Van's job is Harassment and interdiction, move from target to target, harpoon DPS from your healer,(or harpoon healers off of bridges!) cryo...move to the next cat, AOE stun a blob, and keep moving. I never use Mortar Volley, or any other channeled skill, not worth the time or ammo.

That's only my two cents. I am wondering if the desire for DPS Guards is more for PvE or PvP....why not just go Commando then? Although, If I do come across one heck of a DPS build I'll try it out.

Good Luck to you all

I've been watching this thread since it started, but I am still confused to way Vans want to have more DPS, well, I do understand in a way. While grinding myself up the line to 50, I always would say, "UGH, no DPS." It wasn't until well into 50 and hundreds of WZs later that the true mission of the Vanguard came to me. I don't care about DPS, DPS doesn't win WZs, team work does, and hitting the right person, at the right time does too.

I am a Shield Guard, 33/6/2, In WZs and on Illum, I make it my mission to Harass healers, push them away from their team, CC them in hopes they pay more attention to their own survival then to their team mates. I usually try to pick the highest DPS'r hit him with jolt and sonic and move on as he does nothing to hit targets for a few seconds. I rarely if ever chase someone around to kill them, I feel the Van's job is Harassment and interdiction, move from target to target, harpoon DPS from your healer,(or harpoon healers off of bridges!) cryo...move to the next cat, AOE stun a blob, and keep moving. I never use Mortar Volley, or any other channeled skill, not worth the time or ammo.

That's only my two cents. I am wondering if the desire for DPS Guards is more for PvE or PvP....why not just go Commando then? Although, If I do come across one heck of a DPS build I'll try it out.

Good Luck to you all

It's pretty simple.

I've played a PvP tank, almost exclusively in MMOs. I rolled a Vanguard to tank. Turns out, that the DPS PUGs on my server are pretty god awful. I mean, bad bad.

One of those oddities, lots of heals, lots of tanks, little DPS.

After getting irritated that my team wasn't getting it done, I decided to try endgame DPS with Vanguard. I couldn't have imagined how good it really is.

With gear, and a good understanding of the skills, it can easily compete with any other class in the game. It has sufficient burst, sufficient survivability, and more importantly as you mentioned, it has great CC, and some tanking tools.

That's why I wound up DPSing with my Vanguard. It wasn't my original intent, but it's become so good, that's what i'm rolling in my guild premades exclusively. Now, I only roll tank to help with PvE stuff.

Thanks for the insight. I already see the difference between our outlooks. I roll with premade group of 3 or 4 mostly (on vent) and we each support each other. I understand what you say about PuGs....most of the time, you loose. I que up alone only at the times I know the other 50s on my server will be queing, they are the same group of players I pretty much leveled along with and have seen them in many of the same WZs as myself, but its still a crap-shoot.

As a DPS Guard, I assume you are using Eliminator gear?

I have leveled as assualt spec the entire time and my last 25-30 level were all from pvp.

Hmmmm....leveling from pvp!? I always feel guilty when I warfront as I'm only lvl 26, but maybe I should just look at it as xping...

Thanks for the insight. I already see the difference between our outlooks. I roll with premade group of 3 or 4 mostly (on vent) and we each support each other. I understand what you say about PuGs....most of the time, you loose. I que up alone only at the times I know the other 50s on my server will be queing, they are the same group of players I pretty much leveled along with and have seen them in many of the same WZs as myself, but its still a crap-shoot.

As a DPS Guard, I assume you are using Eliminator gear?

I typically use the Combat tech stuff, and the reason is the bonus to Stockstrike and the AOE stun. It's nasty.

If you are going to "tank" in PvP, you are going to be in their faces most of the time, well within range to pop them with the rifle butt.