The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech DPS

I am new to the game.

Can someone help me understand what type of dps is PowerTech dps? Melee? Ranged? What's the play style like (I came from WOW). Which spec is recommended to do the most dps now?

Powertechs are considered a "Close Quarters" class. Basically all the advantages of a melee class, but with almost no melee moves (~85% of the time you have at least 10m range instead of the 4m range of melee classes). It has no casted abilities, and all channeled abilities are AoE

I don't play WoW so i'll breifly explain the specs

Advanced Prototype is the go-to spec right now, so long as you are level 32 or better. It revolves around a proc cd-reset of the 30m ability "Rail Shot" every 6 seconds, with the proc making it free. The spec also gets a single bleed (which has the cooldown refreshed when hit by rail shot), an attack with delayed burst (The damage is done 2GCDs after it is used), its melee attack also sunders the target's armor, and its final ability works off a stack mechanic: Every time you rail shot, you gain a stack (max of 4 stacks). You can use the capstone ability at any time to consume all stacks and deal damage based off your total stacks.

Pryotech on the other hand is a "Trash clearing" spec. It used to be better, but patch 3.1.1 screwed over its resource management by removing half of the effectiveness of the level 56 passive.

Use it for levelling to level 32, other than that, hope the changes for patch 3.2 fix the spec up (Bioware have stated "More to come").

As for its standing in current ops?

Advanced Prototype is tied for first place with Innovative Ordinance (merc spec) in terms of operations viability, so unless it gets nerfed extremely hard or you completely suck with it, a raid spot will always be open to you