The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Most Powerful Force Users in the Galaxy (CANON)

Permaximum

Potential and the most powerful are not the same thing.

QUI-GON takes the blood

stained chip and inserts it into the comlink, then calls OBI-WAN.

QUI-GON : Obi-Wan?

OBI-WAN : Yes, Master.

QUI-GON : I need an analysis of this blood sample I'm sending you.

OBI-WAN : Wait a minute...

OBI-WAN activates the analysis program

QUI-GON : I need a midi-chlorian count.

OBI-WAN : The readings are off the chart. Over twenty thousand. Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midi-chlorian count that high!

QUI-GON : No Jedi has.

OBI-WAN : What does it mean?

QUI-GON : I'm not sure.

Master Yoda is the most powerful Jedi of the order, or was until this point. This scene shows concern on the part of Qui Gon Jinn as no Jedi has ever measured a blood to midichlorian level as high as Anakin's in the Order's history.

It's not potential. It's scientific fact, proven by the midichlorians.

Even Darth Sidious knew how powerful Anakin was/would be.

DARTH SIDIOUS: You cannot stop me. Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us.

YODA: Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be. As is your faith in the Dark Side of the Force.

Edited by DarknessInLight

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Anakin Skywalker IS the most powerful Jedi in the timeline we are talking about. The Midichlorians, like them are not, are canonized via the Prequels. Because his midichlorian count was higher than any other Jedi in the order, including Yoda, that makes him the most powerful Jedi in the universe at that time.

Source: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

To be fair, he'd be the most powerful ever tested with the stupid midichlorian counter (to the best of Obi Wan's/Qui Gon's knowledge). Even that is just a leap of faith based on Obi Wan's reaction. Also, doesn't mean there weren't past measurements that weren't higher (or at least also off the charts) before Yoda's time. Lastly, I somehow don't think that the sith lined up to get tested at the jedi academy, so no way to confirm them as potentially higher than Anakin Skywalker.

I am still willing to accept your supposition as most likely true, however.

QUI-GON takes the blood

stained chip and inserts it into the comlink, then calls OBI-WAN.

QUI-GON : Obi-Wan?

OBI-WAN : Yes, Master.

QUI-GON : I need an analysis of this blood sample I'm sending you.

OBI-WAN : Wait a minute...

OBI-WAN activates the analysis program

QUI-GON : I need a midi-chlorian count.

OBI-WAN : The readings are off the chart. Over twenty thousand. Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midi-chlorian count that high!

QUI-GON : No Jedi has.

OBI-WAN : What does it mean?

QUI-GON : I'm not sure.

Master Yoda is the most powerful Jedi of the order, or was until this point. This scene shows concern on the part of Qui Gon Jinn as no Jedi has ever measured a blood to midichlorian level as high as Anakin's in the Order's history.

It's not potential. It's scientific fact, proven by the midichlorians.

Even Darth Sidious knew how powerful Anakin was/would be.

DARTH SIDIOUS: You cannot stop me. Darth Vader will become more powerful than either of us.

YODA: Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be. As is your faith in the Dark Side of the Force.

LOL with this logic baby Anakin is the most powerful force user and he can kill Yoda :D

I wonder really, how old are you?

Edited by Permaximum

LOL with this logic baby Anakin is the most powerful force user and he can kill Yoda :D

I wonder really, how old are you?

With this logic I believe I am correct. Why wouldn't Anakin be the most powerful Force user of his time(especially given his connection to the Force, which is measured by his midichlorian count)?

If anyone sounds immature, it is you. It sounds to me like you wish to ignore the Prequels, which is impossible since THEY ARE CANON. Sure, you can pretend that they don't exist, which is childish, but at some point in this sequel trilogy, Disney WILL have to bring elements from the Prequels into the films.

Case in Point: If Luke Skywalker engages Leader Snoke in saber combat in a later episode, which may be coming, it will be similar to the choreographed, stylized combat from the Prequels. If Snoke is who everyone seems to think he is, both he and Skywalker are Masters of the Force and the fight will be similar to the Yoda vs. Darth Sidious duel from Revenge of the Sith.

In fact, I foresee a dual duel(lol) in the classic Star Wars style that switches back and forth between Luke vs. Snoke and Rey vs. Kylo Ren in Episode IX with "Battle of the Heroes" or "Duel of the Fates" as the score during this scene.

With this logic I believe I am correct. Why wouldn't Anakin be the most powerful Force user of his time(especially given his connection to the Force, which is measured by his midichlorian count)?

If anyone sounds immature, it is you. It sounds to me like you wish to ignore the Prequels, which is impossible since THEY ARE CANON. Sure, you can pretend that they don't exist, which is childish, but at some point in this sequel trilogy, Disney WILL have to bring elements from the Prequels into the films.

Case in Point: If Luke Skywalker engages Leader Snoke in saber combat in a later episode, which may be coming, it will be similar to the choreographed, stylized combat from the Prequels. If Snoke is who everyone seems to think he is, both he and Skywalker are Masters of the Force and the fight will be similar to the Yoda vs. Darth Sidious duel from Revenge of the Sith.

In fact, I foresee a dual duel(lol) in the classic Star Wars style that switches back and forth between Luke vs. Snoke and Rey vs. Kylo Ren in Episode IX with "Battle of the Heroes" or "Duel of the Fates" as the score during this scene.

Their point is there is a difference between "achieved power" and "potential power" Midichlorians measures a persons connection/ their "potential" it does not measure what they actually achieved. Midichlorians ARE NOT the force they are what allows some one to feel the force, the Force itself is still a mystical energy field and requires training and knowledge and understanding to use. You want to talk the prequels, good, then dont cherry pick

https://youtu.be/9DI8kkR9G0Q?t=103 "Darth vader will become more powerful then either of us" The use of the word WILL instead of the word IS tells you right there, that as many midichlorians as Anakin has, he has yet to realize his full strength and as of yet is STILL not as powerful as Sidious or Yoda, but he can BECOME stronger, he just hasnt yet. These lists DO NOT cover what some ones potential is, it covers what they achieved.

Edited by tunewalker

Their point is there is a difference between "achieved power" and "potential power" Midichlorians measures a persons connection/ their "potential" it does not measure what they actually achieved. Midichlorians ARE NOT the force they are what allows some one to feel the force, the Force itself is still a mystical energy field and requires training and knowledge and understanding to use. You want to talk the prequels, good, then dont cherry pick

https://youtu.be/9DI8kkR9G0Q?t=103 "Darth vader will become more powerful then either of us" The use of the word WILL instead of the word IS tells you right there, that as many midichlorians as Anakin has, he has yet to realize his full strength and as of yet is STILL not as powerful as Sidious or Yoda, but he can BECOME stronger, he just hasnt yet. These lists DO NOT cover what some ones potential is, it covers what they achieved.

I didn't want to have to use this, but......

CREATURE: Not far. Yoda not far. Patience. Soon you will be with him. Rootleaf, I cook. Why wish you

become Jedi? Hmm?

LUKE: Mostly because of my father, I guess.

CREATURE: Ah.....your father. Powerful Jedi was he. Powerful Jedi, mmm.

Okay. It's no longer potential. Yoda admitted Anakin's strength in the Force.

the Force itself is still a mystical energy field and requires training and knowledge and understanding to use.

Okay. Now I'm really confused. The Force requires training and knowledge and understanding to use? Did I get that right? If I did, maybe you can help me with something. If what you said is true, how could Rey have used the Force to do Jedi Mind Tricks on that hapless Stormtrooper? How could she have withstood Kylo Ren's attempts to read her mind? How could she have won that duel at the end of the film? She still hasn't been trained in the Force. That was alluded to early on the film when she thinks Luke Skywalker and the Jedi were mythical.

I didn't want to have to use this, but......

CREATURE: Not far. Yoda not far. Patience. Soon you will be with him. Rootleaf, I cook. Why wish you

become Jedi? Hmm?

LUKE: Mostly because of my father, I guess.

CREATURE: Ah.....your father. Powerful Jedi was he. Powerful Jedi, mmm.

Okay. It's no longer potential. Yoda admitted Anakin's strength in the Force.

BUT he does not claim him to be the MOST POWERFUL, he simply calls him Powerful, which he most assuredly was. He was among the most powerful of the Order even with his achieved power, not just his potential.

Okay. Now I'm really confused. The Force requires training and knowledge and understanding to use? Did I get that right? If I did, maybe you can help me with something. If what you said is true, how could Rey have used the Force to do Jedi Mind Tricks on that hapless Stormtrooper? How could she have withstood Kylo Ren's attempts to read her mind? How could she have won that duel at the end of the film? She still hasn't been trained in the Force. That was alluded to early on the film when she thinks Luke Skywalker and the Jedi were mythical.

Knowledge and understanding do not require Training. Knowledge and understanding can easily explain all of that, in addition to potential Ren isnt exactly "well trained" either. She only achieves what she does what Maas said, which was guidance, or training if you will. So technically she recieved very small training along with listening to those old stories and watching Ren use it all giving her knowledge, Understanding and a form of training through visual example.

Edited by tunewalker

Knowledge and understanding do not require Training. Knowledge and understanding can easily explain all of that, in addition to potential Ren isnt exactly "well trained" either. She only achieves what she does what Maas said, which was guidance, or training if you will. So technically she recieved very small training along with listening to those old stories and watching Ren use it all giving her knowledge, Understanding and a form of training through visual example.

the Force itself is still a mystical energy field and requires training and knowledge and understanding to use

If training is a form of learning, and knowledge and understanding come from learning, doesn't that make training/learning required?

Also, your previous statement makes it sound like you're flip-flopping now. She received training? From who? She's never met Luke Skywalker until the end of the film.

Anakin had the strongest connection to the force. Thats true, he couldve become twice as powerful as sidious by the time he was in his 30s if he trained right...but, before he could he got severely injured and its a fact that is injuries killed his potential. The thread is stating the most powerful force users. Anakin could have been the strongest but his potential was never realized thus he should not be number 1. If your connection to the force and being strong in the force is enough to be the most powerful then by your logic Luke shouldve been able to waltz into the death star and stomp palpatine and potential-less Vader.

but for the list

I dont believe you can number the strongest once you get to certain tier and since we are talking force not combat skills i think this would be accurate

Sidious,Talzin, and Yoda are tier 1 (possibly Luke too, but his abilities as of now are not known)

the next tier would be Luke, Dooku, Mace ,and Vader

Tier 3 would be

Kylo Ren (remember force not combat) Kit Fisto, Plo Koon, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shaak Ti, Maul, and Ki adi Mundi

Eeth Koth, Piel, Tinn. Aayla Secura, Vos,

Tier 4

Ahsoka, Bariss, Ventress (almost put her in tier 3 but her skill is in combat not force ability), Unduli,

Tier 5

at this tier you just get the average joes, So the Rebels force users woud get this spot

Ezra, Kanan, the inquisitors

Anakin had the strongest connection to the force. Thats true, he couldve become twice as powerful as sidious by the time he was in his 30s if he trained right...but, before he could he got severely injured and its a fact that is injuries killed his potential. The thread is stating the most powerful force users. Anakin could have been the strongest but his potential was never realized thus he should not be number 1.

That's off now. What Lucas said doesn't matter anymore. In the new canon there's nothing points to this. On the contrary, Vader's feats are "at least" on the level of Yoda, Palpatine and Talzin. I think Disney and the Lucasfilm Story Group wiped that nonsense idea about requiring more flesh and body parts to have more connection to the force. Yoda's existence conflicted with that idea anyways.

Also, young Anakain managed to control and dictate the Son and the Daughter at the same time so he takes the first spot.

If training is a form of learning, and knowledge and understanding come from learning, doesn't that make training/learning required?

Also, your previous statement makes it sound like you're flip-flopping now. She received training? From who? She's never met Luke Skywalker until the end of the film.

You're suggesting a person can not learn with out a teacher. This is not true, experience can teach some one, Kylo Ren's usage of the force on Rey can teach her. Maas who doesnt have the force, but still gives advice on it as she knows about Jedi can be teaching. So on and so forth. Even Quigon explains this in Episode I "with out the midichlorians we would have no knowledge of the force, if you quite your mind you will hear them speaking to you" the midiclorians themselves can teach a force user how to use the force, as they are constantly speaking to a force sensitive that they reside in. The number of midichlorians dicates how loud that speech is, but again.

"Lord Vader WILL become more powerful then either of us" meaning he was not BORN powerful. He was BORN with huge POTENTIAL.

ESB we see another example of this as the emperor talks about Luke.

"There has been a great disturbance in the force,"

"I have felt it my master"

" the son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi." Why didnt he feel this with Leia? she should have inherited his powers to, "the force is strong in my family, my sister has it" Why didnt he feel this when Luke was first born? if its power is inherent from birth Vader and the Emperor should have felt this "disturbance" from the start, but they didnt.

RotJ

"Your skills are complete, indeed you are powerful as the emperor has forseen" again suggesting that he was NOT powerful when they first met as his Skills were not yet complete, but as he trained and meditated, and experimented with the force, he became more powerful, and to your whole "who was teaching rey" .... who was teaching Luke? He didnt go back to Yoda but he was notably stronger, just experimenting on his own.

if you want to go back to Episode VII "she has just begun to experiment with her abilities" and other such things suggesting that Rey was not powerful at one point, but became powerful as she experimented more and more, as she listened to the midichlorians more and more. As she took Maas instruction and advice, and followed it more and more. She grew stronger, but she wasnt BORN that strong, she FAILED the first time against the storm trooper, during the start of the fight with Ren, she FAILED again. She didnt start out powerful she GREW powerful. I really dont want to quote the entirety of star wars at you, this should be enough to get you to understand the difference between "potential" and "achieved power".

Edit: this was basically the beginning of pulling a quote from every single movie stating that a person can GROW in power, that Potential power is one thing and Real power is another. This has been stated so many times I am surprised any one missed it and am kind of in shock that people still argue it.

Edited by tunewalker

I didn't realize how short the list of Force Users in Canon is until now.

With Luke no longer being the most powerful by-far, with Palpatine's acknowledgement from the old Sith spirits no longer valid, and with not enough information on Kylo or Snoke… I'm going to take a shot and say the most powerful may be Darth Bane.

I have no source for this, as we have no canon information for him. But if we are to assume the Bane trilogy is now canon because of his appearance, it provides a lot more backing for his claim as most powerful than, say, Luke. Luke's canon material really only displays him as a poor Jedi during the Galactic Civil War.

You're suggesting a person can not learn with out a teacher. This is not true

It's not? Tell me, then, if it's not true, why the concern,

haste and necessity of finding Luke Skywalker in The Force Awakens?! They need him to train, or teach, the next generation of Jedi Knights, don't they? I thought that was the whole point to the resistance needing the map?

It occurs to me that without a teacher, there will be no Jedi, or is the very story in the new movie contradicting itself?

It's not? Tell me, then, if it's not true, why the concern,

haste and necessity of finding Luke Skywalker in The Force Awakens?! They need him to train, or teach, the next generation of Jedi Knights, don't they? I thought that was the whole point to the resistance needing the map?

It occurs to me that without a teacher, there will be no Jedi, or is the very story in the new movie contradicting itself?

Learning on one's own being possible does not negate the need for a teacher for speedy, efficient, and effective learning. The speed at which Rey would learn on her own is slow and ineffective and dangerous. If she couldnt learn ANYTHING on her own, she wouldnt be able to DO anything on her own. If she learned NOTHING by experimenting then no matter how many times she tried to mind trick the storm trooper she would have failed.. she didnt, because she learned from trying and failing, and trying again. No matter how many times she fought Ren, she never would have been able to push back, she did because she listened to Maas advice about how to use the force. So on and so forth. I can learn gravity exists on my own, just like Issac Newton did, or Einstien did when they invented their theories on gravity, but its much easier and faster to have those theories taught to you. Same with the force, they have the Midichlorians WHISPERING to you, telling you the will of the force and how to use it. Experimenting with it on your own can teach a bit, but there is still no substitute for a proper teacher.

And again saying midichlorians are the only thing that matters in terms of how "powerful" a person is in the force is contradicting quotes from Movies starting at I and going the VII.

Edited by tunewalker

Darth Vader (The Chosen One

I hope you are not trolling.

If you are actually talking about Anakin's potential, then yes, he would be equal to Father. But there is no such character in canon material.

We have

ROTS Anakin

and

ROTJ Darth Vader

brang Son and Daughter (the Ones) to their kness

Except it was one time only and he was standing in some kind of circle. And later he couldn't do anything against Son alone. It was the show of his potential power, not his current one.

Killed Palpatine with one hand

Backstabbing.

immensely powerful in the new canon material

Can you elaborate?

And Yoda above Sidious? Have you watched Episode 3? Yes, I know you did and I saw what you had written about it. Still looks like a bunch of excuses for Yoda.

I hope you are not trolling.

If you are actually talking about Anakin's potential, then yes, he would be equal to Father. But there is no such character in canon material.

We have

ROTS Anakin

and

ROTJ Darth Vader

I hope you're not an EU fan. It's almost impossible for them to isolate the crap fan stuff from their minds when it comes to the official canon.

WHO said Anakin Skywalker didn't reach his potential as Darth Vader? Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader are not different people. Vader is the dark side version of Anakin Skywalker.

Except it was one time only and he was standing in some kind of circle. And later he couldn't do anything against Son alone. It was the show of his potential power, not his current one.

Standing in some kind of circle? So? How do you know it was one time only? Not displaying the same strength doesn't mean he doesn't have it anymore.

Backstabbing.

It wasn't an instant stab in the back. It took a considerable time for one-handed Vader to grab Palpatine, raise him, walk while holding him and throw him. All Palpatine could do was shooting lightning at Vader as soon as he was grabbed and although he saw Vader resisted it like it was nothing, he continued to scream and shoot lightning like a fool to get thrown into the core.

Can you elaborate?

Do I have to list all canon Vader material now? Start with the new Star Wars and Darth Vader comics and Rebels kid show. If you want me to give an example, he can telekinetically crush AT-AT's. This alone is beyond any force feat that's shown in the official canon now. Recently in the comics, he destroyed entire Rebel fleet and army.

And Yoda above Sidious? Have you watched Episode 3? Yes, I know you did and I saw what you had written about it. Still looks like a bunch of excuses for Yoda.

If we don't consider environmental factors and Palpatine's fear and early exit trial, we would be no better than an ordinary Star Wars fan. We also need to consider Mace Windu vs Palpatine fight too. Windu defeated Palpatine fair and square and he along with other Jedis acknowledges Yoda's superiority over them.

Edited by Permaximum

WHO said Anakin Skywalker didn't reach his potential as Darth Vader?

He could be as strong as Father would he reach his full potential. Darth Vader is not a force deity who can't destroy universe with the force. Thus, he didn't reach it.

Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader are not different people. Vader is the dark side version of Anakin Skywalker

What I'm saying is that we have 2 versions of the same character, and I'm not sure who's stronger(debatale).

Both are called Darth Vader, actually. 1)In the duel with Kenobi, 2)At the end of ROTJ

We don't have a version that is a force deity.

Standing in some kind of circle? So? How do you know it was one time only? Not displaying the same strength doesn't mean he doesn't have it anymore

It looked like a ritual. And it was enviromental(circle).

He couldn't stop Son later.

It wasn't an instant stab in the back. It took a considerable time for one-handed Vader to grab Palpatine, raise him, walk while holding him and throw him. All Palpatine could do was shooting lightning at Vader as soon as he was grabbed and although he saw Vader resisted it like it was nothing, he continued to scream and shoot lightning like a fool to get thrown into the core.

That's correct, but that only proves that Vader is strong, not that he's stronger than Sidious.

He could be as strong as Father would he reach his full potential. Darth Vader is not a force deity who can't destroy universe with the force. Thus, he didn't reach it.

Why do you think he would be as strong as the Father but not more? Why do you think the Father can destroy universe with the force? Most importantly, perhaps there has been no need for Vader to display feats such as destroying universe in the movies. Don't you agree? Especially you know now that Vader has shown much greater force feats than any force user has shown in the official canon.

What I'm saying is that we have 2 versions of the same character, and I'm not sure who's stronger(debatale).

Both are called Darth Vader, actually. 1)In the duel with Kenobi, 2)At the end of ROTJ

We don't have a version that is a force deity.

Why do you think Anakin or Vader at his full potential would be a force deity? The ones were perhaps close to being force deities but they were limited to that planet. As Obi-Wan pointed out the planet was "the force" and they were near the source. That's why Anakin could control the Son and the Daughter. He used the planet.

I doubt a full-potential Anakain could destroy a moon let alone the universe.

It looked like a ritual. And it was enviromental(circle).

He couldn't stop Son later.

The Son was more experienced in using the planet.

That's correct, but that only proves that Vader is strong, not that he's stronger than Sidious.

That proves, even one-handed Vader that doesn't use Force is too strong for Sheev Palpatine.

You should remove those EU glasses from your head if you want to see the bigger picture here. I don't want to disappoint you but in Star Wars canon there's no such things as fleet or planet destroying force users. In recent comics Vader destroyed entire fleet and an army but it wasn't just one big instant TK or force storm or some kind of uber force power.

Edited by Permaximum

If Vader was more powerful than Sidious like you were suggesting don't you think Darth Vader who is Sith wouldve overthrown him by now? Don't forget Vader grabbed sidious and threw him down, it wasnt a one-on-one fight, and it was the lightning that killed Vader...

If Vader was more powerful than Sidious like you were suggesting don't you think Darth Vader who is Sith wouldve overthrown him by now? Don't forget Vader grabbed sidious and threw him down, it wasnt a one-on-one fight, and it was the lightning that killed Vader...

Vader was at the point that he was thinking Sidious was all he had and apperantly he still thought Sidious didn't teach him everything. In the canon, after he learns Luke is his son, he starts to think about overthrowing him.

In the same time, although he was more powerful, his mechanic body was extremely vulnerable to lightning attacks. That's probably another reason he didn't go all out after learning the truth about Luke.

I believe Vader was on the verge of being more powerful, but the two were killed before tht had been realized. Even in his predicament he still had more raw force power than anyone alive, but that doesnt make him the most powerful.

That doesn't make him more powerful but, the fact that he killed sheev with one hand, dominated the son and the daughter at the same time and of course his force feats in the recent comics and books make him the most powerful force user.

Edited by Permaximum

That doesn't make him more powerful but, the fact that he killed sheev with one hand, dominated the son and the daughter at the same time and of course his force feats in the recent comics and books make him the most powerful force user.

I wouldnt say hs feats make him the most powerful, remember Vader is the only experienced master of the Force featured in the new canon works so far, i'd wait till they start showing us some other stuff before that assumption is made. Don't forget the Son owned Anakin multiple times. That display you were tlaking about is more a less a ritual proving he is the Chosen One.

Speaking of which, Do you think the original prophecy intended for Anakin to reside with the Ones to keep the balance between light and dark, but he refused that and went down the Sith path. So what if Anakin didnt actually fulfill the prophecy the way it was intended. Which would explain the recent rise of the dark side *strokes chin*

Also i fail to see you're reasoning behind killing Sidious with one hand means anything.

All that proved was his mechanics enable him lift things normal people would have trouble with.

I watched the Mortis clips again and i'll take it back, Anakin IS the Chosen One, so iwill say he is the most powerful Force user, however i do not believe he is the strongest if that makes sense.

His connection to the force and his ability to channel it is impressive, but he wouldnt be able to defeat someone like Yoda and Sidious in 1v1 fight

Also i fail to see you're reasoning behind killing Sidious with one hand means anything.

All that proved was his mechanics enable him lift things normal people would have trouble with.

You're forgetting the fact that the fully trained Luke couldn't resist Palpatine's tormenting lightning even for a moment while Vader who was extremely vulnerable to lightning didn't even hesitate for one moment while Palpatine was reasonably going all-out with his lightning against Vader. I believe one of the most powerful sith lords of all time could have done something to prevent his death if he could. Like how Vader survived in Mustafar and how he controllled the Son and the Daughter, at extreme situations Vader had shown great power. If only grabbing Palpatine with a physically strong one hand means the end for him, the force is a joke. However that's not the case and noone but Vader could kill Palpatine at that moment.

I don't think Yoda and Obi-Wan sent an inexperienced Luke against Vader and the Emperor in the same time with the hope of he kills both of them. In the recent TFA novelization Snoke says that if Vader didn't show sentiment and killed his son, the Empire would have prevailed. Snoke worded it like Vader had the power to kill either Luke or Palpatine and he gave into his emotion and chose to kill Palpatine. It wasn't a matter of if Vader could or not it was a matter of Vader's choice. Yoda and Obi-Wan probably sensed Vader had a big role to play in the final confrontation between Luke, the Emperor and him. Otherwise it would be a suicide to sent Luke against both of them.

Edited by Permaximum