The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

3.1.1 Vanguard/Powertech PvE DPS Guides

TACeMossie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for update Kwerty, but. ...

Plasma Barrage – Using High Impact Bolt and Fire Pulse make your next Ion Pulse or Explosive Surge free

is no more true after 3.1.1, right?

My main is only powertech, so I hope that my conversion of vanguard abilities are correct :)

Thanks for update Kwerty, but. ...

Plasma Barrage – Using High Impact Bolt and Fire Pulse make your next Ion Pulse or Explosive Surge free

is no more true after 3.1.1, right?

My main is only powertech, so I hope that my conversion of vanguard abilities are correct :)

Lol I thought I missed something. I had the whole thing perfectly done and when I hit update the first time it was like "NOPE" and undid all my changes. I forgot to fix that up when I went through it again.

One other thing to note for Powertechs wishing to go Pyro:

Due to the bugged set bonus, you want half the crit that Plasmatech has, and the rotation is far more strict about Immolate (Fire Pulse) after Flame Burst (Ion Pulse), and then used on cooldown. Why?

75% Auto-crit with >6% Alacrity. Thats why.

Edited by TACeMossie

How are you hitting 720 alacrity at this point?

Most i can get is 652 (If i Get my Alacrity enh to 198s). And that's if i switch out my other Surge Aug for alacrity.

Right now i have

5 Alacrity enh

2 Accuracy Enh, 1 Accuracy Ear + 8 Acc Augs

Implants are Surge + 1 surge augment

And 5 Power Augments

Surge 292

Alacrity 582

Accuracy 100.00 even (758)

What's your gear looking like in the way of enhancements and augs (ear and Implants too)

Edited by Otchiver
clarification

How are you hitting 720 alacrity at this point?

Most i can get is 652 (If i Get my Alacrity enh to 198s). And that's if i switch out my other Surge Aug for alacrity.

Right now i have

5 Alacrity enh

2 Accuracy Enh, 1 Accuracy Ear + 8 Acc Augs

Implants are Surge + 1 surge augment

And 5 Power Augments

Surge 292

Alacrity 582

Accuracy 100.00 even (758)

What's your gear looking like in the way of enhancements and augs (ear and Implants too)

Right now, I'm at 600 Alacrity/292 Surge/776 Accuracy (full 198 enhancements, 8 Acc augments), and ~330 crit rating.

I'm 4 pieces away from BiS (Belt, Bracer, Chestpiece, Mainhand, armorings/Barrels + mods) Lets just say I won a lot of MK-2 drops.

My gear was set up like that as it also had better synergy with Plasmatech (RIP), and I am now in the process of fixing it up.

My final goal is ~400 crit, 720 Alacrity, 240 Surge, 760 Accuracy, which uses 6 Alac enhancements, 2 surge enhancements, 2 Acc enhancements, and a lot of acc augments.

Funny to see them nerf Pyro/Plasma, cause it was doing too much damage. Parse in this guide is 4k dps, yet you look on the Annihilation Maurader player guide on this same Dulfy site, and you see a 5k parse. Yet we pyrotechs were doing too much damage. (And they even get a raid buff, and a leap)

Funny to see them nerf Pyro/Plasma, cause it was doing too much damage. Parse in this guide is 4k dps, yet you look on the Annihilation Maurader player guide on this same Dulfy site, and you see a 5k parse. Yet we pyrotechs were doing too much damage. (And they even get a raid buff, and a leap)

Oh lol thats a major fail. What happened there was I accidentally linked parse #1 instead of #2. I screwed up resources in parse #1

Edited by TACeMossie

Thanks for the heads up on the Parse Kwerty. So in your opinion, should they fix the rotation? If that means it will increase damage and they decide to nerf the damage down again to keep your parse where it is, yet fix the rotation, would you be good with that? Edited by angelana

OP has been updated as Powertech's now have a completed guide!

"But Kwerty, the terrible parses both do the same damage, why is AP ranked better than pyro?"

Because Pyro has a much higher tech contribution for damage, so the 186 mainhand is a far bigger drag on AP than it is on Pyro - making them appear to do the same damage when AP is in fact ahead.

Now, any further comments may be placed in this thread.

Kwerty,

I have been trying out Alacrity recently and liking the faster playstyle. I tried it on Carnage Mara in the raids and having a blast, and I will try it on PT on upcoming days. The question is of course, how much is too much Alacrity rating assuming I have in my hands all BiS enhancements and augments ready? There must be some balance between Power, Crit, Surge and Alacrity. I currently have 800+ Alacrity from 2 enhancements and 11 augments for my PT, and I don't notice any difference from using full Aims/Power. In fact, I actually feel it's more DPS average and tons more fun.

Thanks.

Kwerty,

I have been trying out Alacrity recently and liking the faster playstyle. I tried it on Carnage Mara in the raids and having a blast, and I will try it on PT on upcoming days. The question is of course, how much is too much Alacrity rating assuming I have in my hands all BiS enhancements and augments ready? There must be some balance between Power, Crit, Surge and Alacrity. I currently have 800+ Alacrity from 2 enhancements and 11 augments for my PT, and I don't notice any difference from using full Aims/Power. In fact, I actually feel it's more DPS average and tons more fun.

Thanks.

The simple reason is full aim/power is not optimal use of augments!

By having Alacrity augments instead of Aim/Power, you end up doing the same amount of DPS. Its when you drop back a little on the alacrity to get more power that the sweet spot is hit, and you start doing more DPS.

I'd probably recommend a range of

333-533 - Resurrected gear

620-820 - Revanite gear.

that +- 100 range is usually unnoticable in parses, which is why people never bothered experimenting with Alac augments (until that sent got sick of watchman's slow rotation). It took a model of the PT/VG rotation in order to actually see how good alacrity actually is!

Do these stat ceilings apply for pvp or pve only?

PvE. PvP is a completely different ballpark, and i'm rather terrible at it.

From my understanding, in PvP you want:

0 Crit

0 Accuracy

LOTS of power

LOTS of surge

a little alacrity (1-2 pieces max)

Though honestly, i'd talk to someone like AxeDragoneth (Rahc/Paipear in game) or Zoom_VI about PvP stats.

PvE. PvP is a completely different ballpark, and i'm rather terrible at it.

From my understanding, in PvP you want:

0 Crit

0 Accuracy

LOTS of power

LOTS of surge

a little alacrity (1-2 pieces max)

Though honestly, i'd talk to someone like AxeDragoneth (Rahc/Paipear in game) or Zoom_VI about PvP stats.

Don't you want 5% accuracy so HIB/RS doesn't miss?

OK this may be my mind just screwing with me but i used the old 4 piece set with the new 2 piece set and was doing about a 4.2k with a low alacrity build and then when i switch over to the new 6 piece i loose about 200 dps. Now I think I am following the line of the heavy alacrity build but im just not understanding why its really doing so much and like i said its most likely me but if someone would give me some hard numbers to follow like crit lvl alacrity lvl and surge lvl i think i can follow this plus a line on what augs to use and how many that would be great cause right now im driving myself insane over this

Don't you want 5% accuracy so HIB/RS doesn't miss?

I personally grab it, but others are recommending otherwise. Bear in mind I haven't broken 1k ranked rating since season 1 (where I hit 1486 rating) so...

OK this may be my mind just screwing with me but i used the old 4 piece set with the new 2 piece set and was doing about a 4.2k with a low alacrity build and then when i switch over to the new 6 piece i loose about 200 dps. Now I think I am following the line of the heavy alacrity build but im just not understanding why its really doing so much and like i said its most likely me but if someone would give me some hard numbers to follow like crit lvl alacrity lvl and surge lvl i think i can follow this plus a line on what augs to use and how many that would be great cause right now im driving myself insane over this

About the old 4-piece vs new 6-piece.

The new 6-piece has better resource management. By far. With the old set bonus, I'm lucky to make it to 40 seconds before needing to blow both resource cooldowns and go into maintenance mode. With the new one, I can last up to 70 seconds in (WITH a ton of alacrity), and maintenance mode still has a ton more mag blasts. This more than makes up for the extra damage to High Impact Bolt/Rail Shot.

And then its a case of seeing which is better between an auto-crit on 40% of your cell bursts, or a 15 second reduction on Battle Focus/Explosive Fuel. Protip - its the auto-crit cell burst.

As for why alacrity is so good? Its cause we have a huge amount of power/tech power/aim due to our current stat budget level, and since power is only additive to your DPS and alacrity is Multiplicative, it means that the benefits from alacrity are currently good enough to warrant ~600-720 alacrity. This is mostly true of any spec, and definately true on a dummy, though due to a lot of specs losing damage in a raid its not always optimal to go that high.

Vanguards + Powertechs do not have any specs that lose a lot of damage potential in a raid.

Edited by TACeMossie

thank you for explaining that? could you give me some hard numbers i should be shooting for such and crit rating alacrity rating and surge rating plus what augs would give me the best break down of stats this would help me the best. i just seem to work with the raw numbers better for some reason

thank you for explaining that? could you give me some hard numbers i should be shooting for such and crit rating alacrity rating and surge rating plus what augs would give me the best break down of stats this would help me the best. i just seem to work with the raw numbers better for some reason

What gear level you looking at? I can give you exact numbers for all 3 levels. I'm assuming this is for Tactics/AP by the way