The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

With no mid range abilities how to I close the gap in DPS spec's

Jedi_riches

Now I am not exactly a new player, but how do I close range to mobs etc, when spotted my speed goes down a lot so I can't run to them I don't have a "jump" like the knight class or even storm like the tank spec, I don't have stealth like scoundrels to get close before starting combat so how exactly do I get close? Edited by Jedi_riches

Grapple & Harpoon

Pulls enemy to your location. What else did you expect?

Hydraulic Overrides & Hold the Line (doesn't have effect out-of-combat)

And with Utility point from Heroic tier you run so fast that combat gets more difficult.

Edited by Halinalle

Grapple & Harpoon

Pulls enemy to your location. What else did you expect?

So basically get one of say a 5 bunch mob? then what possibly stuck away from the rest of the group due to cooldowns?

Hydraulic Overrides & Hold the Line

And with Utility point from Heroic tier you run so fast that combat gets more difficult.

Also something that has a minimum of 25 second cooldown (does this mean I should take the -5 seconds cooldown from the utilities? otherwise there will be pauses between combat?)

Life would be so much simpler if vandguards/powertech's got storm/charge much in the same vain that both Guardians and Sentinels get force jump. Though I dare say people would want the move removed from the DPS specs anyway.

Rapid Shots (to enter combat) -> Hydraulic overrides

Also, AP/Assault has very few close range abilities. You can spend most of your time between 10-15m.

I didn't know Knights/Warriors get speed ability and pull. :eek:

Guardians and Juggs get push... but also pull... Maybe I'm worst SWtOR player ever.

Edited by Halinalle

Full Auto/Unload was never part of any VG/PT rotation. I've never had problems with range as VG/PT mostly because I like to tank. My Vanguard is currently Plasmatech and I still find it difficult to find any issues.

It's hilarious to see everyone jog around when my Vanguard runs at 2x lightspeed or at least it feels like it. :D

Now I am not exactly a new player, but how do I close range to mobs etc, when spotted my speed goes down a lot so I can't run to them I don't have a "jump" like the knight class or even storm like the tank spec, I don't have stealth like scoundrels to get close before starting combat so how exactly do I get close?

You pop hydraulic overrides, roll up on em, and punch them in the face. I'm not getting where the mental disconnect is coming from.

Using Hydrolic Overrides is so hard.

It isn't hard, it's un-necessary when there's a perfectly good ability called JET CHARGE that all 3 specs should have, there is no melee class in the game without a quick way to get to your target without utility buffs EXCEPT Vanguards/Powertechs. Warriors have Force Charge, Operatives have Roll, Sin's have Force Speed and Stealth, Powertechs have to take 3 Utility Points to even THINK about closing the gap as fast as a Sin, AND it's also a DCD because in some boss fights you have to use it to negate the effects of a boss mechanic (big example here is Underlurker which is IMPOSSIBLE to beat without a PT or Jugg tank/dps) Those 3 Utility points could be used elsewhere for better defensive buffs than HO.

It isn't hard, it's un-necessary when there's a perfectly good ability called JET CHARGE that all 3 specs should have, there is no melee class in the game without a quick way to get to your target without utility buffs EXCEPT Vanguards/Powertechs. Warriors have Force Charge, Operatives have Roll, Sin's have Force Speed and Stealth, Powertechs have to take 3 Utility Points to even THINK about closing the gap as fast as a Sin, AND it's also a DCD because in some boss fights you have to use it to negate the effects of a boss mechanic (big example here is Underlurker which is IMPOSSIBLE to beat without a PT or Jugg tank/dps) Those 3 Utility points could be used elsewhere for better defensive buffs than HO.

No, just no. First of all, F.Speed lasts FULL 2,5s with 15s CD. That's 16,6% upkeep which gives you 24% speed buff. Hence, it should be used JUST AT THE RIGHT MOMENT. Plus stealth is good only for opener.

Meanwhile, HtL lasts 10s with 25s upkeep. That's 40% upkeep for, without CtL, giving you a 12% speed buff. But it lasts longer and is generally more user friendly. Now if we apply 40er to CtL, not HtL, we get a 30% speed buff which is superior in every way to F.Speed. Vanguards also have Grapple in every discipline while Shadows have Pull only in tank disc.

And learn to let go. F.Leap is unique to JKs and it should stay like that. If it were up to me, I'd even redesign Storm. I don't know how, but I would. F.Leap should remain a hallmark of a JK/SW classes. Period.

Finally, the only attacks that are melee are Stock/Shock strike and Gut. Yeah, I do understand that they are important, but that's why you use HtL/Grapple/4X. Don't forget that 4X also has a Grapple! Pull ranged enemies, let melee ones come by themselves. Easy, no?

Full Auto/Unload was never part of any VG/PT rotation. I've never had problems with range as VG/PT mostly because I like to tank. My Vanguard is currently Plasmatech and I still find it difficult to find any issues.

It's hilarious to see everyone jog around when my Vanguard runs at 2x lightspeed or at least it feels like it. :D

That is 100% false. Full Auto/Unload was a DPS increase for every spec and SHOULD have been used. If you aren't seeing any issues with Plasmatech right now then I feel like you don't know what you're doing. They completely butchered the resource management with this patch.

That is 100% false. Full Auto/Unload was a DPS increase for every spec and SHOULD have been used. If you aren't seeing any issues with Plasmatech right now then I feel like you don't know what you're doing. They completely butchered the resource management with this patch.

Debatable for Tactics, but definitely true for other two. Especially for PlasmaTech where it acted kinda like a single target version of P.Cannon.

The butchering of plasmatech had very little to do with the loss of unload. Plasmatech actually had the absolute least use of the ability.

If you aren't seeing any issues with Plasmatech right now then I feel like you don't know what you're doing.

Guess who's holding aggro most of the time without taunts...

I guess that could be counted as "issue".

Edited by Halinalle

The butchering of plasmatech had very little to do with the loss of unload. Plasmatech actually had the absolute least use of the ability.

You mean like the butchering of the resource management that I said? Don't get me wrong I'm fine with them removing Full Auto/Unload. The current iteration of Pyro is absolutely horrible though. The spec feels super clunky to play and forces you to actively avoid doing what the class is meant to be doing just so you can prevent over heating.

Guess who's holding aggro most of the time without taunts...

I guess that could be counted as "issue".

This has nothing to do with the Pyro changes if you're a tank. Sure you lost Unload/Full Auto, but they weren't vital to tanking. It was just extra damage. Pyro's Flame Barrage nerf was insane.

Edited by Confehdehrehtheh

This has nothing to do with the Pyro changes if you're a tank. Sure you lost Unload/Full Auto, but they weren't vital to tanking. It was just extra damage. Pyro's Flame Barrage nerf was insane.

Vanguard + Plasma Cell = ?

That's why I mentioned "without taunts". Because dps isn't supposed to taunt.

Edited by Halinalle