In defense of Carbine Burst / Blaster Volley

Majspuffen

There is a lot of hate going around this one ability. A lot of it is justified, too, but I worry what Bioware's response might be. As it stands, this ability isn't very good. I wouldn't go as far as some and say that it is useless, because this ability is our only "free-cast" AoE (requires no target). It is excellent for ruining an assassin's vanish, and seeing as we have no other ability that can do this, Carbine Burst actually has a lot of value.

The concerns surrounding the ability are genuine, but buffing other abilities to compensate is not the way to go. This ability has potential, it just suffers from the misfortune of having a vague animation, a heavy cost and mediocre white damage.

The animation could easily be improved with a subtle ground pattern. As for the other two, I can think of many ways to improve the ability. For instance, you could remove the TA/UH requirement and make it so that when you have TA or UH active, its chance to hit is increased by 10% (bringing it up to the same accuracy level as tech attacks).

Then we'd have a slick freestanding AoE that relies on our own position in addition to Frag Grenade, which is a 30 meter splash attack that relies on the enemy's position. We lost enough abilities in 3.0, let's not lose another one because the community prioritizes the wrong thing. Instead, let us inform Bioware that this thing needs some luvin'!

(And while they're at it, they should make it so that the spray is affected by the color crystal in our weapon ;))

Edited by Majspuffen

I wonder if it would be difficult to make the cone operate off of your camera (although it would cap at the 270 degree FOV thing, can't fire it backwards), instead of your character's direction.

Kinda like how Exfiltrate's direction is based off of your camera orientation, and not your character's.

It's way too hard to aim Carbine Burst when you're trying to kite around or whatever, not to mention that the cone is quite narrow.

In all the honesty, even if they made it easier to aim and actually hit the target it supposed to, the tactical udvantage/upper hand cost makes still does not make justifiable to use, minus as you said unstealthing the enemy purpose purposes in pvp. But they will never take away the TA/UH cost, they like screwing our class over too much. Edited by rheia

The only time I use this is if I'm out of stealth, I know there's a stealth, and I want to try to catch him. It's the only thing we've got left (excluding Cyber grenades) that doesn't require a target. You probably won't catch him anyway due to the narrow cone (never mind Deflection). You can spray it a bit during the cast, but I suspect that's just the animation and that the damage is all in the cone from the initial direction at cast..

Extremely situational, a bit of a Quick Shot but even more so. Most of the time there'll be something better you can choose instead. I could take it off my bar with no measurable diminution in effectiveness. Sure, I can think of a situation to use it, but it's really not terribly useful. Maybe I could spray a node if thermal grenade's on CD for six seconds.

Edited by Wainamoinen

The only time I use this is if I'm out of stealth, I know there's a stealth, and I want to try to catch him. It's the only thing we've got left (excluding Cyber grenades) that doesn't require a target. You probably won't catch him anyway due to the narrow cone (never mind Deflection). You can spray it a bit during the cast, but I suspect that's just the animation and that the damage is all in the cone from the initial direction at cast..

Extremely situational, a bit of a Quick Shot but even more so. Most of the time there'll be something better you can choose instead. I could take it off my bar with no measurable diminution in effectiveness. Sure, I can think of a situation to use it, but it's really not terribly useful. Maybe I could spray a node if thermal grenade's on CD for six seconds.

Which is why we should ask Bioware to buff it, rather than buffing Frag Grenade (which already has a fair CD, distance, cost, damage and splash). Like you said, it is situational but still useful because it is the only ability we have that we can cast freely without requiring a target. The cone is slightly wider than the animation shows, but it is really hard to discern. Like I said in the OP, it has its genuine problems but it is not something that can't be fixed.

Edited by Majspuffen