The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Padme - how you disappoint me. :(

Gentleman_snow

Nope I read he was 17 and Padme was 22

Nope, you're wrong. Anakin is 9 years old in Episode I and Padme is 14.

In Episode II Anakin specifically states its been ten years since he's last seen her. Making him 19 and her 24.

He's a little younger than her still yeah, but it's not Padme marrying some 15 year old like some people think she did in here.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Episode II Anakin specifically states its been ten years since he's last seen her. Making him 19 and her 24.

He's a little younger than her still yeah, but it's not Padme marrying some 15 year old like some people think she did in here.

I think it feels weird because in the first movie we see Anakin so young and 14 year old Padme was played by a ~20 year old Natalie Portman. The age gap between the characters is only about 5 years, but between the actors it's more like 10, making their age gap perhaps seem larger than it really is, and I think people carried that into the second and third movie.

Game of Thrones had a similar problem translating from books to TV series, only it was actors trying to portray characters significantly younger than they are. It made for some awkward and inexplicably childish moments in the earlier seasons for people who weren't aware of the characters' intended ages, much like Padme's intended age was significantly younger than her actress. Can't undo the visual image of a 20 year old woman that you already know is destined to fall in love with this boy 10 years younger than her. Doesn't help that in Ep 2 she still treats him like a child.

Edited by eldefail

It's not the age that is the main issue though. The main issues are the following...

1. She rebuffs him and has fraternal love for him. It STARTS to become more than that BUT she comes to her sense and falls back on duty and obligation even though Anakin suggests that they keep it secret. After he comes back to her though admitted he committed his first mass murder of women and children however she says "oh screw it let's marry the guy?!?!?!"

2. This transition has no build up or explanation in the movie itself. In essence we must take it on faith that something else is going on.

3. There is absolutely no chemistry between the two of them whatsoever to make this leap of faith even slightly believable.

4. Even after it is clear he is a twisted evil SOB, (killed how many younglings at the Jedi temple?) She still is all mopey over him? Last I checked she was a strong women, wise beyond her years, worthy enough in her teens to rule and entire planet and then become a Senator. Now she acts like she is on an episode of Beverly Hills 90210?

Age really is FAR less relevant than the completely unbelievable nature of the romance.

What I do know is this...

At the theater, Padme' had some serious nippage in a couple scenes of Attack of the Clones when her and Annakin go after Obi-Wan. On the dvd...gone. No nippage. That's something to be disappointed about!