Why is there no playable small race?

Musclemary

I'm not remotely excited by the incoming introduction of togruta or whatever they are called. It will just be a reskin of existing models witht he same story lines and voice actors. What I want to know is why is this the ONLY major mmo where there is no "small race " that is playable.

Does Bioware realise how much of a win situation it would be to allow you to be a playable Jawa , Ewok or Yoda's race? And before lore and logic experts come into play. They could make it so the small races were limited to certain classes. If u wanted to be a force user, you could only choose the Yoda race....Jawas/Ewoks could be limited to Bountey Hunter.

They don't even have to revoice the whole game...just use repeatable gibberish which they use whenever a non human speaking race talks in the game anyways.

It would give SUCH a boost to the game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is why is this the ONLY major mmo where there is no "small race " that is playable.

A number of reasons, all of which have been rehashed a dozen times:

• Many weapons/armors would not work (look halfway decent) on half-sized models
  • Quests that have any jumping component would need to be redesigned... along with 80% of the datacron locations
  • Exisiting maps are set for a line of sight at a certain height. Shorter characters would have various issues if their LoS origin was lowered. If it is not, then they suddenly gain the ability to shoot through short walls and boxes.
  • Cutscenes are set up to run from a certain height. Adding short characters would mean reworking camera angles on virtually every cutscene.

Does Bioware realise how much of a win situation it would be to allow you to be a playable Jawa , Ewok or Yoda's race?

They know people want them. They also know a bunch of reasons why they wouldn't work.

And before lore and logic experts come into play. They could make it so the small races were limited to certain classes.

That only addresses the easiest problems. The guidelines that Bioware put out for races a long time ago included:

• Must have a body style that works with existing armor/weapons/speeders
  • Must have a face capable of expressing emotion
  • Must speak Basic (ie: Must be able to use existing voiceovers)

Even if you want to fudge the last one and loop gibberish (which... is not a terribly popular idea), you still run into some additional problems with the examples you give:

• Lucasarts has expressly forbid any playable character to be Yoda's species. Games can't even name Yoda's species. They can't examine its culture or history. Bioware/Obsidian needed special permission to add Vandar and Oteg.
  • I can't find any images of Ewoks in armor, much less ewoks wearing gloves or boots... or pants. No helmets either so customization would be chestpieces at best.
  • Games/comics have been banned from showing what a Jawa looks like under their hood, so all Jawas would need hoods, thus greatly limiting their armor customization.

Luckily, that isn't our concern. That is what we ( subscribers at least ) are paying the dev team(s) for; to work.

But I guess that is too much to ask for.... :rolleyes:

No... you're paying to play the game. Just because you are a customer doesn't mean they have to give you whatever you demand. One of the major components to game design is understanding when not to add a feature because the cost, time, resources, or resulting complications to the design are not worth it.

If a paying customer would ask me to add a feature that would result in all future development taking even 10% longer, I would give them an immediate and firm "No". And yes, I have done that a few times.

Species (not race).

"Race" is RPG terminology. It defines all differences spanning from the words we know of as "ethnicity" to "species" (sometimes more like "kingdom"). Feel free to keep fighting that fight.

Or if not, at least acknowledge that some of the suggested "race" options like Zeltron, Arkanian, etc wouldn't actually be different species and would be the same species as Humans and Cyborgs and Rattataki... and possibly Chiss and Mirialans.

The lore issues are fairly soluble, after all, there are force using Jawa already, and others could simply be "the first/one of the first of their kind to learn the ways of the Force". Camera framing for cut scenes, avatar interaction- including one requirement, romance scenes. "Could Han/Leia kiss that" actually was a criterion stated by a dev at one time, I believe.

That said, with a little refilming, the result could be quite charming.

Kira Carsen: I think I love you... (leans in and purses lips to kiss)

Ortolan Jedi Knight: Burble burble warrrble paarp... ( stretches up, fails) Brrrrb ( walks out of shot, waddles back in in a moment with a large book or box, stands on it, kisses companion.

Fade to black or Yellow Pages advert.

Why is there no playable small race? For the same reason there's no playable giant race. They don't want all your companion love scenes to end with you kissing (or being kissed) in the wrong place. They have a T for Teen rating to preserve here... :p

It'd be a lot harder to target on them in PvP.

Yup. I didn't even go into that.

In order to support PvP, you'd need to drop the LoS origin on them, or you'd allow them to shoot at targets from behind boxes and the targets wouldn't be able to shoot back. If you drop the LoS origin, it means that the small character is still able to see targets, but now they can't target them. Of course, they could still jump to see the target momentarily, shoot, then fall back behind the box... and repeat to excessive degrees without allowing the target to respond with a similar level of ease.

And if we admit that the majority of targeting in PvP is done via clicks, then they have an obvious advantage being a smaller target. Add to that, there is also a benefit in melee fighting because in order to click on them, the player would likely need to pan down to get a better chance at targeting. The extra movement required gives an advantage to the smaller race and their team.

Then, of course, minor clipping issues would be compounded and some maps would have places where small characters would be able to clip into some objects and become even harder to spot. And there may be some places where small characters can fit through barriers that weren't meant to be crossed.

My solution to this is pretty simple. Let the smaller species exist, but have them exist according to normal restrictions. Smaller targets are harder to hit. However, they also have shorter legs. And a blaster bolt to any part of them is going to be a bit more serious than other species (indulging Killjoy here a bit). So, you can play a half-sized race, but:

• They only have 2/3 of the hitpoints of normal species
  • They have their jumping scaled properly. If a quest needs them to jump higher/longer, they'll need to bring a Sage/Sorceror.
  • Physics attacks are amplified by 50% (get tossed 45m instead of 30m)
  • They run at half normal speed
  • All attacks against them happen with the critical chance doubled
  • They can only use certain mounts

However, I suspect that the proponents would never accept that. They'd want all the benefits of a small character model, but with none of the negative effects.

including one requirement, romance scenes. "Could Han/Leia kiss that" actually was a criterion stated by a dev at one time, I believe.

It was a joke that keeps getting repeated as an official statement. The more official version is that the need to have a face that expresses emotion.

However, I suspect that the proponents would never accept that. They'd want all the benefits of a small character model, but with none of the negative effects.

I would say that many proponents simply do not realize these issues. They want to play Yoda/Jawa/Ughnaut/whatever...