Sniper

Ramzezis

Why sniper has low damage? My Marksman sniper (168/174 PvP gear)deals 12k PvP crit (checked against target full 168 PvP item lvl gear). It's not even funny. For ex: vanguard/powertech, sorc/sage can move while casting/channeling their spells/abilities. And they have 10-11k crit against the same target. Lets use some logic. Marksman sniper can't move while aiming and has 2sec to cast Aimed Shot. Sorc/sage has 1.5 sec to cast his damaging spell (dont forget about talent which doubles spell). It means sniper will take 14-16k pure damage (without using def abilities) while using Aimed Shot.12k vs 14/16k? Srsly? Lets remember that Aimed Shot has 12 sec CD and sorc/sage spells has 9 sec CD. Now lets add def abilities/spells. Sniper has Escape 20 sec CD and Evasion 1 min CD (3 sec duration). Now about sorc/sage: shield with huge amount absorption of incoming damage,healing spells + shield with immune to all incoming damage (8 sec duration). That's why sniper dies and sorc/sage has 40-50% HP.

I just want you to increase survivability or damage for sniper. Imperial elite agent (class background) and has no idea how to survive or shoot ? Then i can understand why Empire loses every time (in history).

P.S.if add other classes then all that sniper can is make a shot and dye.

Snipers are one of the hardest hitting classes in pvp... are you just not stacking your stats properly? Because I've seen snipers hit upwards of 17-18k on Ambush and their other abilities hit for massive as well if played and geared properly.

Edit: I do agree though that the durability on a sniper is a bit lacking though. Don't need more damage, just some extra padding.

Edited by Bastrus

Is this a joke?

How hard do you want snipers to hit, 20k per ambush? 10k every followthrough? No.

In terms of burst, MM snipers are among the highest in the game atm (assuming they're not los'ing you).

Snipers' problem is survivability, not damage.

Is this a joke?

How hard do you want snipers to hit, 20k per ambush? 10k every followthrough? No.

In terms of burst, MM snipers are among the highest in the game atm (assuming they're not los'ing you).

Snipers' problem is survivability, not damage.

Its not just survivability, its also the ability to stay on target versus other ranged classes (or, really anyone). Pillar humping will really destroy a marksman spec sniper.

Snipers are one of the hardest hitting classes in pvp... are you just not stacking your stats properly? Because I've seen snipers hit upwards of 17-18k on Ambush and their other abilities hit for massive as well if played and geared properly.

Edit: I do agree though that the durability on a sniper is a bit lacking though. Don't need more damage, just some extra padding.

I'd love to see this magic formula for the 16k Hit. I haven't played my sniper in awhile so its not at ca but my 60 Sharpshooter Slinger is at the cap and I've got my stats well situated but I've not yet managed this 16k hit with the Slinger equivalent skills.

Now, admittedly, I'm not using a 174 Barrel yet. But what I am putting out is the same 12k or so big hits when using the equivalent Lase Target/Target acquired/Ambush attacks. (So 100% Crit, 15% armor reduction, 30% accuracy buff)

I'm not saying it can't be done, just having the same experience as the OP. I'm fully kitted out with Augments as well. With a focus on Power/Cunning though I have a few I used to bridge some gaps to bring accuracy up etc.

What I have been wondering (and will need to compare) is if the Sniper 'Ambush' has a higher base damage than my Slinger equivalent because the text is slightly different as the slingers mentions it will fire both guns. I'm wondering if the code then screws the slinger equivalent because of the second attack being treated as an individual attack of its own and that second attack does not seem to do anywhere near the damage that could be multiplied to make for a16k hit.

So I'll likely have to take my Sniper to 60 just to see but this doesn't preclude me from wondering what this 'mix of stats' should be to get the 16k ambush crits.

I would agree though that my biggest issue is survivability.

• 2 weeks later...

Only sniper/slinger cant move and use their abilities (merc/commando can move and channel their blazing bolts. sorc/sage can cast their spells while moving).Our Leg shot ability is nothing now (remember new talents with immune to movement effects?). Sniper...hm,if we have to use cover, then make it more effective. My idea is to make sniper's cover like camouflage. Any damage caused will break camouflage effect for 5 sec (or more or prematurely and sniper has to use cover again to gain camouflage effect). Why not? Marksman sniper is the long-ranged assassin. He shouldn't be seen by enemies if not in combat. Why? Because hide and crack cranium by precision shots - that is his job. That's why this class doesn't have effective defense abilities. And shouldn't.

Make this class be like more real imperial sniper.

Edited by Ramzezis

Regarding Snipers Big Hits:

They require a set of circumstances be met that are such that they should not be considered part of the 'Sniper' or 'Slinger' arsenal. They are no different than any other classes damage potential against the like foe.

Because I was custious I took my curiousity to the Sniper/Slinger forum and asked about these huge hits as my experience had been more like the OP's.

Snipers/Slingers agree you can get thiese big hits but they generally require a number of things you are unlikely to see in a WZ frequently.

First, recipient usually has to be in PVE gear. And even if they are in PVE gear, in most WZ's they'll have adequate expertise granted by Bolster to avoid the ability to get the really big hits.

It has to be a cloth wearer, so no medium or heavy is going to be hit for this amount.

There is generally additional debuffing that occurs from another player prior to your hits. Sunder etc.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=794385

Link to the thread there, its not an extensive read because, doesn't need to be.

Snipers and Slingers do have some decent damage, but its not even the 'best' damage. And they certainly have survivability issues that aren't shared by the other DPS classes. Yes, Merc's/commando's could use some help. Mara's and Sentinals could as well. Bt this doesn't preclude the Sniper/Slinger getting something ore substantial.

Return a purge, make the 'healing in cover' an automatic skill not a purchased Utility. Make the damage reduction for AoE damage an automatic, not a purchased skill. perhaps give snipers/slingers some new utility (purchased skill) that allows them to make three rapid attacks with no GCD, etc.. since the sniper/slinger has to stop moving to get its big attacks while other DPS classes can do much of their damage while moving.

Maybe a short term buff with long cooldown that is 'target tracking' that gives the sniper a short period of time where LOS is not required on a target in range, since the easiest way to completely shut down a sniper With MM or SS is to tower hump and pop off instants that do not have in return. If there was a 20 second window where this sort of LOS abuse was not possible due to an advanced targeting buff, the necessity to remain parked in one spot/self rooted wouldn't be as much a disadvantage considering they really can't up our damage and not adversely affect the class for PVE (make us too tough)