Episode VII NOT based on George Lucas's vision

Sanguiluna

The worst thing that could happen is,,, Crossovers! As in, spider-man or Elsa pops up and starts slinging webs and snow at the sith. If this seems farfetched, they already did a phineas and ferb crossover, which was non-canon. I have it from an inside source that the future crossovers will be canon. Also, I've heard talk that Disney might force Bioware to put lore-breaking items on the cartel market (Luke's speeder, Vader's armor, etc.)

Actually the worst thing is to have a Disney character be added and makes a song number--and the cast joins in. But seriously, I don't think they've done this sort of thing with the Marvel movies yet...apart from how they rendered Marvel characters in Infinity (saw Green Goblin and my reaction was 0_o)

I heard from another inside source that the inevitable appearance of Star Wars characters in the next Kingdom Hearts game will be canon which means Sephiroth, Donald Duck, and Captain Jack Sparrow will become canon Star Wars characters and they will play a pivotal role in Episode VIII: Invasion of the Nobodies.

Does that level take place before or after the avengers and Indiana jones ones?

Does anyone else see the delicious irony in this?

He changes comics novels and characters to suit his needs at the expense of our enjoyment, and now disney have basically done the same to him.

Weather this film will be good or not, who knows but i have to admit, for all the whining people do over GL and the prequels, there are some fab thing he gave us in there, and if he isn't even being consulted and looking at the last star trek films, well , lets just say i seance a great disturbance in the force

Actually the worst thing is to have a Disney character be added and makes a song number--and the cast joins in. But seriously, I don't think they've done this sort of thing with the Marvel movies yet...apart from how they rendered Marvel characters in Infinity (saw Green Goblin and my reaction was 0_o)

to be fair spiderman films are done by Sony

Edited by Kaisernick

He changes comics novels and characters to suit his needs at the expense of our enjoyment, and now disney have basically done the same to him.

Weather this film will be good or not, who knows but i have to admit, for all the whining people do over GL and the prequels, there are some fab thing he gave us in there, and if he isn't even being consulted and looking at the last star trek films, well , lets just say i seance a great disturbance in the force

Yeah but I would've rather seen someone other than Abrams doing it. Heck, I would've rather seen del Toro direct it than Jar Jar Abrams. At least then we might've gotten Perlman a part in it.

Abrams has always been a lense flare and explosion every 37.6 seconds kind of guy and less of an actual story teller...

Lucas has absolutely NO say over star wars anymore. If disney wants to make a crossover with marvel and frozen, with magic ewoks, and jar jar as a jedi master, they can do just that.

You're right, but that gives me the creeps...

Yeah but I would've rather seen someone other than Abrams doing it. Heck, I would've rather seen del Toro direct it than Jar Jar Abrams. At least then we might've gotten Perlman a part in it.

Abrams has always been a lense flare and explosion every 37.6 seconds kind of guy and less of an actual story teller...

have to agree with you there.

I mean i remember him in a interview for star trek 2009 and him saying he a huge star wars fan.

When they said Abrams was doing ep7 i was like "why? Cause hes a star wars fan?"

All i keep thinking is that its gonna turn out like one of those fan scripts you see on the web :(

Well if you look at how the Star Trek movies were received they were received quite well by most critics and to MOST movie goers. Now yes many a diehard Trekkie was going to be pissed at Vulcan being blown up. That the same thing they hated in DS9 and Enterprise (section 31) is clearly a BIG part of Star Fleet in the sequel. OMG Spock has a girl friend and its who?!?!?!

Thing is walk into the movies without baggage and they are darn good movies with pretty good performances. Dialogue solid, direction solid, stories consistent. While I love Star Wars I really can't say they same thing about them. Often the only thing that stops the dialogue from being totally ridiculous is that he managed to get incredible actors (as we see when the horrible choice for Anakin can't carry a single scene). Lucas has never been good at directing humans and he changes story ideas between movies leading to some consistency issues it takes two movies to clean up.

Is Abrams the next Coppola? No, but he can only do better than George when it comes to directing...sorry. As for writing, he is writing with Lawrence Kasdan...you know the guy who co-wrote Empire and RoJ and Raiders and Silverado, The Big Chill, The Accidental Tourist...yeah this is going to be a hack job...:rolleyes:

Edited by Ghisallo

It is ironic. Lucas was good at one thing...creating an interesting world. Great however was he at selling that world and himself. So people over look how he would do flip flops on things because "well he is George.". Disney wouldn't even have to do this if Lucas had not essentially just said " go forth and multiply just don't step on the toes listed in this contract" to the EU. There is so little consistency in the EU (hence the old labrynthine canon rules) that the only way to get things under some semblance of control would be to say "piss on all of that."

That said I am fairly certain people that see themselves as purists will have issues. My only question to them will be "how can u be a purist of something that never had purity to begin with."

Lucas sold everything to Disney - he has 0 say over Star Wars now and Disney can do anything they want. That is how buyouts work.

I think this latest story is just confirmation that Disney is not asking George much of anything about Star Wars now.

As long as the Sand People (or even the Ewoks) do not march in line, singing "hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go", i see little that Disney can do to further damage the intellectual property.

Well tbh we know nothing about the vision of the film. What we do know is that it may not have the amaturish dialogue, horrible direction and questionable casting decisions of the previous movies.

But it might.

Abrams is on my "never watch" list. But even so Abrams is better than George at directing. Del Toro has made lemons too but at least he has SOME good works done to balance that.... I think?

Overall my expectancy of these new movies is extremely low and probability that I go watch them approaches zero. The only star wars I care about these days is Biowares lore. (even though SWTOR has taken a turn for the worse as well during past year or so)

Edited by Karkais

But it might.

Well so far for casting Abrams has proven solid...Kasdan (the co-writer) has more than a few "best screen play" Oscar Nominations. He also won the Saturn Award for Raiders.

Also Abrams has not suffered from such faults in any of his movie or TV credits. I really don't get the Abrams hate here unless it is tied to how he chose to reboot Star Trek. That has nothing to do with dialogue, casting or directing ability though.

Abrams is on my "never watch" list. But even so Abrams is better than George at directing. Del Toro has made lemons too but at least he has SOME good works done to balance that.... I think?

Overall my expectancy of these new movies is extremely low and probability that I go watch them approaches zero. The only star wars I care about these days is Biowares lore. (even though SWTOR has taken a turn for the worse as well during past year or so)

Well we agree on the assessment of Lucas' directing skills at least but Bioware lore? It no worse but really no better than any out there over all. Two of the key characters though...Revan and Starkiller I think are among the most clichéd characters I have ever seen. I really have never understood the fascination with them.

Now while I am a bigger fan of Del Toro I do think Star Wars is better served with Abrams (both as writer and director). For the most part Del Toro plays very strongly in the gray areas... Pan's Labyrinth, Blade II, the Hell Boy stuff etc. He also has, when it comes to his SciFi/horror, a definitely Lovecraftian vision as a director. I really don't think that fits for Star Wars. I would mention that the Hobbit movies are no less full of "explosions" than the Abrams stuff BUT he was only a writing credit so can you blame Del Toro (but I probably can blame him going Lovecraftian on us with the script...were worms?!?!?!?!?) I could go on for pages with how he arguably helped to "go against the vision" of Tolkein with that writing credit though.

The new trailer made the hairs on my arms stand on end. Especially when the X-Wings came into shot over the water and the Falcon running that barrel roll...and what hit me straight away was, This is more like Star Wars. The prequels were not Star Wars to me. Everything was too polished and shiny. All the starships, tech and hardware has this battered, used look in the originals. It looks like that for VII. Now, it seems they have the look, lets hope the story works out.

Disney have brought my heart back to Star Wars after Lucas pulled it out and displayed to my face with the prequel trilogy. Ok, Ep. III wasn't so bad...but really...They pretty much took a downward spiral. They could have been so good. But flashy CGI for Star Wars just does not feel right.

fingers crossed for VII, I am very hopeful!

I rememebr discussing the battered look of the originals with a friend, and pointing out that the differing looks actually made a LOT of sense when you stepped back and looked at it.

what worlds do we see in the original trilogy? we see tatooine, which is described as the "world furthest from the bright center of the universe" we see Bespin. which if you pay close attention, is actually supposed to basicly be sort of a shadow colony. out of the way and sort of not fully legal. hence all the "aren't you afraid the empire will find out about this, and shut you down?" comments. everyplace we see is the fringes, the dirty ends of the empire. then in the prequals, we go to worlds like Courscant, Naboo, etc. these worlds ARE the bright center of the universe.

so the "lived in vs shiny" look actually makes some degree of sense. the good guys are using old used ships, and old used buildings, in the OT. the prequals focus around the wealthy core worlds. and we see that wealth reflected in the starships

I rememebr discussing the battered look of the originals with a friend, and pointing out that the differing looks actually made a LOT of sense when you stepped back and looked at it.

what worlds do we see in the original trilogy? we see tatooine, which is described as the "world furthest from the bright center of the universe" we see Bespin. which if you pay close attention, is actually supposed to basicly be sort of a shadow colony. out of the way and sort of not fully legal. hence all the "aren't you afraid the empire will find out about this, and shut you down?" comments. everyplace we see is the fringes, the dirty ends of the empire. then in the prequals, we go to worlds like Courscant, Naboo, etc. these worlds ARE the bright center of the universe.

so the "lived in vs shiny" look actually makes some degree of sense. the good guys are using old used ships, and old used buildings, in the OT. the prequals focus around the wealthy core worlds. and we see that wealth reflected in the starships

It makes sense in little bits. But a city is a city...core world or not. Things are not perfect. So Naboo, being a Utopian world I could almost see... Courscant? Not so much. I don't care how much you try to clean, fighters and yes star ships are going to show some wear and tear when they land...did Amedala get her yacht detailed in orbit before they landed?

The problem with the prequels, in terms of looks, was as follows...

WAY to much CGI. There was so much CGI they had to cut corners. Those little things you could integrate into the canvas to make it feel real went by the way side because the canvases were simply to big to allow it. What made the original movies so "real" was the real sets, "real" robots, "real" aliens. Now CGI was definitely needed for some things BUT ask any actor who has done a lot of green screen work, needing to react to something they can't see. So you get a double whammy. The very appearance of the virtual world can cause issues then it cascades as it effects performances.

I just have a strong feeling that Disney will mess this up. The whole lightsaber is one of the biggest things that made me pissed when I saw the trailer. I for one grew up with the originals. Granite I wasn't around when they were in the movie theaters but I had the VHS ones. When 1-3 came out I was like alright cool whatever. The trailer for the new one looked good and if they mess up the iconic Lightsaber then they lost me. I will be there at the midnight release and just hope they fix that

I just have a strong feeling that Disney will mess this up. The whole lightsaber is one of the biggest things that made me pissed when I saw the trailer. I for one grew up with the originals. Granite I wasn't around when they were in the movie theaters but I had the VHS ones. When 1-3 came out I was like alright cool whatever. The trailer for the new one looked good and if they mess up the iconic Lightsaber then they lost me. I will be there at the midnight release and just hope they fix that

How is that light saber any less iconic that say Darth Mauls? As a matter of fact, having formally trained in eastern and western sword play I always found the lack of some kind of guard bizzare. Every Jedi and Sith who regularly duels should be walking around with cybernetic hands/fingers tbh.

why do people assume Disney is at fault for that dam saber.

Star Wars: Republic 61: Dead Ends (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))

i seem to have to point this out every time i see this debate, those who dislike it blame either Disney or Abrams for its existence but the blame is in the old EU.

so the question fans need to ask themselves is are you mad that they took something from the EU and made it cannon?

Edited by Kaisernick

Because they are vigorously hunting for reasons due to a knee jerk reaction to two things. 1 George doesn't call the shots anymore (but after the prequels one MUST ask, "is this a bad thing") and 2. In April of 2014 some favorite character or event because non-canon.