The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard/PT Range?

Cavell

So, this is probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway:

I've heard vague claims that Vanguard/Powertech range has been increased, or has the ability to be increased, to the point where one discipline at least can get off its rotation outside the 10 meter range.

Any truth to that? I really need to level up a Trooper, but I've always found the "I have a rifle, so I'm going to stand three feet from you while you hit me with a laser sword" aspect of the Vanguard to be pretty dumb.

Tactics had their Assault Plastique ability increased to 30m, and Sticky Grenade can proc your High Impact Bolt. You can't get your whole rotation off at 30 meters, so you still need to actually get close, but Tactics/AP is a lot more lenient with range.

If you don't like the fact that vanguards are a close range class, play a Commando.

Think of it this way though, Vanguards (Tactics mostly) basically have the strengths of both ranged and melee and the weaknesses of neither. If you're fighting a ranged class, staying within your desired range of 4 - 10 meters is very easy to do with your perma slow on Tactical Surge and your 45% increase boost/5 second reduced cooldown on Hold The Line. If you're fighting a melee class, you can easily kite them and keep them just outside of their own 4 meter range for the same reasons. Their strength as a "melee" is that they don't have to cast anything (you should NEVER be using Full Auto as a Vanguard, and the Ion AoE ability, I forgot what it's called, is only central to the tank and Plasmatech specs), which makes kiting easy when compared to actual ranged classes.

TL;DR - You say you don't like the "stand there and let them hit me with their sword" thing, but you don't HAVE to at all. Vanguards are extremely mobile, use it to your advantage.

Edited by Col_Wilson

you should NEVER be using Full Auto as a Vanguard

Actually, in both Tactics and Shield Tech, Full Auto can (and should) be used so long as you aren't going to have to run around. Now in PvP I can understand, but what if your stuck >15m from someone, rooted, and HtL is on cooldown? What now?

Actually, in both Tactics and Shield Tech, Full Auto can (and should) be used so long as you aren't going to have to run around. Now in PvP I can understand, but what if your stuck >15m from someone, rooted, and HtL is on cooldown? What now?

I'm speaking from a purely PvP perspective, though I'm not sure what OP likes to do.

You should always be moving in PvP, 1 reason why you wont be using FA.

If you're rooted in the 15 second downtime that HTL can't be used and HiB, Sticky Grenade, Assault Plastique, and Harpoon are ALL on cooldown... then maybe? I don't even have FA on my quickbar, because the chances of you ever being in that scenario are impossibly low. It's never happened to me.

As for PvE, I'm pretty sure the damage that FA does isn't worth using over your other abilities anyway. Commandos get a lot of buffs to FA for it to be useful for them. How often do you really get stuck outside of your 10m range in PvE anyway?

Edited by Col_Wilson

I'm speaking from a purely PvP perspective, though I'm not sure what OP likes to do.

You should always be moving in PvP, 1 reason why you wont be using FA.

If you're rooted in the 15 second downtime that HTL can't be used and HiB, Sticky Grenade, Assault Plastique, and Harpoon are ALL on cooldown... then maybe? I don't even have FA on my quickbar, because the chances of you ever being in that scenario are impossibly low. It's never happened to me.

As for PvE, I'm pretty sure the damage that FA does isn't worth using over your other abilities anyway. Commandos get a lot of buffs to FA for it to be useful for them. How often do you really get stuck outside of your 10m range in PvE anyway?

Dot up a sin and use full auto / unload while they're shrouded and watch their health trickle and go boom once shroud goes off. Resume powering your tech.

Edited by AxeDragoneth

FA does slightly less damage than 2 Tactical Surges, though Tactical Surge has a slightly higher crit rate and gets +30% surge among other things. On the other hand though, Full Auto costs 24 energy to the 30 energy of 2 Tactical Surge's, so its a more energy-efficient way to do damage - You can get 5 Full Auto's for the cost of 8 Tactical Surges, and full auto is about ~80% of the damage of 2 Tactical Surges (after Crit + Surge benefits for Tac Surge). It only had to be 63% for the Tradeoff to be worth it.

Though I tend to ignore Full Auto except with Reserve Powercell, cause its annoying to mix in otherwise.

Edited by TACeMossie