The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ideal defense rating for pt tank in pvp?

xBlesingx

^

See, pvp is dynamic so there is really no ideal number for it. You can face classes that focus more on weapon damage and sometimes more K/E damage. So for PT/VGs the best way is to stack END and pick up SH/ABS 'cause it covers more damage types, and since our skills focus on that it's a plus.

If you're fighting a sorc/sage, your defense rating will do absolutely nothing to reduce damage taken.

For PvP, you want to stack as much endurance as you can because your primary role is to absorb damage for others through your guard. The only thing that helps you here is how much health you have.

Shield and Absorb are the only really useful defense stats afterwards because they work against all types of attacks, not just Melee and Ranged.

See, pvp is dynamic so there is really no ideal number for it. You can face classes that focus more on weapon damage and sometimes more K/E damage.

Weapon damage is Energy damage. Energy, Kinetic, Internal and Elemental don't have anything to do with your defense chances (the ability to doge/resist an attack completely), they're just looked at when applying the damage reduction after the attack actually hits. What you're meaning to say is some classes focus on white damage (ranged/melee) and others focus on yellow damage (force/tech).

Under normal circumstances, a sorc will never miss with his abilities because players have a default 100% force/tech accuracy rating while players also have a default 0% resist chance against force and tech attacks.

Increasing your defense rating will not increase your chance to avoid Tech/Force attacks, which is why it isn't a useful stat to focus on for PvP when you have classes like Sorcs that only use Force attacks. Though there are some skills that will give you a chance to resist tech and force attacks as well (like Explosive Fuel for Shieldtechs - it will increase your defense chances by 35%, and this applies to both ranged/melee and force/tech defense chances).

Edited by Col_Wilson

Thanks for correcting me. I knew there was something wrong with my statement. I guess i was kinda drugged last night. lol

Anyway, Col_wilson has covered why defense is not the best stat for pvp, especially for PT tanks. Endurance is something you want to stack since it reduces overall damage taken based on % of your total HP and it affects all type of damage including elem/internal.