The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

An in-depth look at combat: Yoda

Aurbere

What about... personality, Say for example in most FPS.... or RTS or what have you... how do you play... are you the gung ho guy that charges in super aggressive... or are you more the conservative type. Do you like to make a plan of attack or do you like to keep your options open...

Its a mentality thing, and every Saber form HAS a mentality to it..

Which is why I said Soresu initially, I am fairly Conservative in most combat based games, I wait for some one to come to me and then I punish them for it, but then the second part of that, and the tendency to once I get started and get some one on their back foot, I never let up, never let them regain their footing and keep pushing... and that part makes me think more Djem So... seeing as the two styles are similar I went likely Djem So.

For you, how do you play....what is your mind set... its a deeper question then "what are you physically good at" but more of a question of self psychological examination.

Interesting, I can see where you are coming from. To answer your question I suppose primarily I don't compromise, in RTS I'm the turtle who gets annoyed when the enemy busts up my neat walls and apparently I rarely concede points on these forums, but I'm pretty sure that's an exaggeration. :p I wouldn't say I'm conservative, but I'm not reckless, and I focus on survival, preparation etc. I also like to keep my foes at arms length, and dispatch them systematically.

In general I like to be in control, and I don't think I'm that good at adapting on the fly if things go wrong. Instead I think I rely on amassing enough resources/strategic advantages to ensure that things just can't go wrong.

This is kind of an unorganised ramble, but I suppose from that Makashi would be best suited to me, its not overly aggressive, but its not exactly conservative, and it places a heavy focus on precision, efficiency, and a certain level of organisation in the way it focuses on dismantling one's opponents. I also feel there is a certain element of control involves, and keeping your opponent at a proverbial distance, so I would say Makashi would be my preferred style.

As for other styles I think given my preference for turtling, not diving in head first, and in general staying out of the heat, Soresu is something I would inevitably pick up, which works well with Makashi. I feel Juyo would only come into this if I had the necessary aggression, which I do not, that would warrant a turn to the dark side. :jawa_evil:

So yeah, realistically a Makashi/Soresu hybrid (kindly like Traya :D), ideally Djem So/Makashi or Makashi/Juyo. Not that Soresu would be unwelcome in any one of those combinations, its always a useful style to have.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so rather then the question of "what is your favorite form"

What is the form that best fits YOUR current physical or mental state. What form COVERS your weakness.

Its not about favorite here, or at least my version of the question wasnt, but more of a what would you as a person realistically use as a cover for personal weaknesses.

What would fit me would be a Djem-So and Soresu hybrid. It also fits my style preferences. I do not like the fancy moves, nor the highly acrobatic combat forms as they would simply not fit me or work with me at all. Djem-so however allows me to use physical strength to my advantage, and the Soresu plays towards my general defense-mindedness.

Essentially I would play defensively with Soresu for the most part, striking out when an opportunity arouse with powerful cuts and slashes with the strength typical of Djem So.

My own weakness is essentially the lack of much agility, so I would likely fight similar to Vader in the sense that I would be grounded and not jumping all over the place. My strength however is that I can be patient when I need to be, and from playing football throughout highschool and the gym and such, I am not exactly weak. So in essence, I would be a Juggernaut (if I was capable enough).

Sil, you'd just stick to Djem So, because what you explained is what Djem So is: defense and counter-attack to seize the offensive.

I am sure there would be times where I would have to fall back on the more defensive Soresu. :rolleyes:

Essentially what I meant was that I would temper my Djem-so with Soresu, if that makes sense.

I am sure there would be times where I would have to fall back on the more defensive Soresu. :rolleyes:

Essentially what I meant was that I would temper my Djem-so with Soresu, if that makes sense.

I suppose. It seems redundant, though.

Suppose it depends on your approach to Djem So. You a Plo Koon or an Anakin?

Probably more Plo-Koon than Anakin. Anakin always seems to just to attack! Attack! ATTACK! :eek:

Then adding Soresu is indeed redundant as Plo Koon is more of the defensive minded Djem So user.

It's your preference, of course. Just saying that Djem So is pretty much Soresu with an offensive flair.

Then adding Soresu is indeed redundant as Plo Koon is more of the defensive minded Djem So user.

It's your preference, of course. Just saying that Djem So is pretty much Soresu with an offensive flair.

True enough. :p

Saddens me I am not agile enough to make use of a saber staff correctly though... :( Ah well! The standard single blade was so for a reason! Quite versatile and all that! :D

Though, I do wonder what color every one would use in their sabers. I myself would use green. (Since Cyan is ultra rare...)

True enough. :p

Saddens me I am not agile enough to make use of a saber staff correctly though... :( Ah well! The standard single blade was so for a reason! Quite versatile and all that! :D

Though, I do wonder what color every one would use in their sabers. I myself would use green. (Since Cyan is ultra rare...)

In case it wasn't obvious enough, I would use green for my lightsaber as well.

Plo Koon is more a Shien style fighter since they wait for an attack then return it with greater force. Anakin is Djem-so oriented since he uses brute strength in battle.

For my my ideal style is a balance between the more defense of shien and power of Djem so.

Looking more into myself for this, I could probably add in Niman actually... and still fall back on Full Soresu every now and again rather then Pure Form V.

Example of why I say this.

GSF, my prefered ship to fly is a Strike fighter. They are the second fastest, with the strongest shields, the second strongest hull, but not great offensive power (though that last part seems to be a miss balance, I believe they are supposed to be alright offensively.. the "generalist" if you will or the "Heavy fighter" more specifically.) I like the way the ship feels and I like how tough the ship is. While I like the toughness of the ship and its part of the reason I like it and I like the moderate feel of its components which would all point to Niman... the way I fly it is extremely aggressive. Pushing people hard and punishing, its also not the ship i play in rough games (because its not well balanced right now and has no place in the Meta). So I pick a ship that is strong defensively (second highest overall health) and play it with a highly offensive mind set... (Very Djem So, some what Niman)

When games get rough i prefer the Condor (Type 3 gunship) It has the ability to strike HARD from a distance and be unrelenting... when I get targeted by another gunship, I prefer to engine maneuver toward them (power dive) and pop evasion and counter strike their usually missed Railgun shot with heavy close in damage. When I get targeted by a scout, I get defensive ONLY until I can turn their attack into my own and again hit them with bursts and Clusters/ Interdication. (again Very Djem So)

When defending or trying to cap a satilite I am perfectly comfortable going on the highly defensive bomber, or even just flying my other ships in a manner that doesnt allow me to hit anything for a time. Pulling a full turtle until team mates arrive.

Edit: I HATE flying scouts, while their maneuverability is the best AND they have a really strong offensive, and a powerful defense in evasion, the amount of damage they can TAKE from things they cant dodge is just to small for me. Even the Maneuverability which is a BOON to most people, I dont like. Its TO Mobile for me it goes to fast (again pointing very hard away from Ataru and Juyo)

End Edit:

When playing Smash bro's I am not very arial or mobile, I prefer to let my enemy come to me and punish mistakes (again kind of Djem Soish) my best characters seem to be ones with a lot of options... such as Mega man, and Kirby. (very niman) (again pointing away from most of the offensive types.)

When I played Halo II my favorite weapon combo was the Battle Rifle, Plasma pistol combo. They had a moderate range that could engage any where and kept my options in combat pretty solid. (Niman.) and both weapons were pretty easy to get and basic equipment (Shii-cho) allowing for ease of access to deadly techniques quite quickly.

Killer instinct (fighting game) I back myself into a corner wait for the enemy to attack, block and then viciously and unrelentingly counter attack (Djem So... obviously)

So honestly looking more and more into myself... I have a few styles that I use, but I use them in VERY specific ways and times.

As a Jedi I would be a practitioner of 4 forms. Shii-cho, Soresu, Djem So, and Niman.

Shii-cho would be a fall back when nothing else would work and I really only have basic tools available.

Soresu would be what I used if I KNEW back up was on the way, and I just needed to hold out long enough for that to happen, when I am in trouble and am just HOPING for a miracle way out... this is where I go.

Djem So/ Shien My main fall back situation when I am either backed into a corner and not wanting to let them have an inch, or even if I am perfectly comfortable. Whether striking out and just pounding into submission or just defending a blow just to punish immediately after this is one of my most comfortable forms.

Niman Used when I want to analyze a new situation, utilizing several tools to get a feel and understanding of my opponents reaction to them before utilizing one of the 3 above. Still fits my slightly more "conservative" nature.

Edit: color I am not sure about, there are plenty of things "color means" but I am not one to say what kind I would have.

I would probably use 1 Saber most of the time, but have an available shoto to keep my options open (that Niman Influence)

Edited by tunewalker

Cyan. Not a fan of Traya, I just like the color. Or the shade of blue from the OT when Luke first turns on his dad's saber.

As for what I would be best with in my current state? Uh, Djem So with a bit of Soresu mixed in. I'd also probably use Jar'kai when possible. Though in a perfect world I'd use Djem So and Beskar armor.

Why Djem So/Soresu? I'm patient and willing to let my enemy expend themselves then I'd flip a switch and go full offence. From there I wouldn't relent till someone had won. I'm taller than average and stocky so power and aggression suit me well I think, and even in my attitude I'll patiently work my way into a situation, then find a weakness and hammer away at it till something gives.

That's a cool question. I'd probably have a green saber and Niman. I really enjoy the idea of a Jedi Consular, a Jedi who isn't as much about protecting good or abolishing evil, but about nurturing good and discouraging evil. I also very much enjoy Niman's focus on using the Force in combat, as the Force is certainly what I would focus on if I were a Jedi.

Niman is good for me personally because I am very much a lover, not a fighter. I have no passion for conflict, and prefer a diplomatic approach. Niman is a form for Jedi that focus less on the martial aspects of being a Jedi, and more on the mental ones, such as knowledge, negotiation, peace, and communication. Which is much more of who I am. I always thought the Jedi lady who helped Obi-wan in the archives was really cool. I'm just that kind of Jedi, I suppose.

So I suppose Niman builds on my strengths, rather than adjusting for my weaknesses. Though, because I am not one for violence, using the Force in combat could be a good way to subdue an opponent without outright maiming them.

Edited by Warren-Stride

Much like Traya you are, hmm? :csw_yoda:

No, Traya thought you should use both the dark and the light, I'd use neither.

Always seen the light side as similar to white magic, it's not inherently better than the dark, it just has a pretty face.

Both have been used for galactic domination, even if the dark side is more abrupt and obvious. Both impose their ideals on the galaxy etc...

*shrug*

No, Traya thought you should use both the dark and the light, I'd use neither.

Always seen the light side as similar to white magic, it's not inherently better than the dark, it just has a pretty face.

Both have been used for galactic domination, even if the dark side is more abrupt and obvious. Both impose their ideals on the galaxy etc...

*shrug*

Well that's an interesting thing to say. You'll have to elaborate on that.

Well that's an interesting thing to say. You'll have to elaborate on that.

Well, obviously if I was to chose between light and dark id chose the light, obviously the Jedi are the lesser of two evils.

However, Jedi have controlled the Republic for millennia, they held power in the senate until Ruusan, and even then had one of the highest ranking advisor positions in the entire republic. They all held the rank of general, and all because they could use the force. Exactly like the Sith. They say the dark side enslaves you, yet the light side strips away your humanity and forces you to live without true passion and emotion. The Jedi also take a role as peacekeepers, and take roles in wars siding with the Republic that gives them power. Sure, they say that it's to protect the innocent, but going back to Traya's ideals, it's not always true. Revans Empire for example. Had he succeeded, the Empire in exile would have been far easier bested in combat when the time came for them to invade, and the republic would have been in a stronger position.

Yet the Jedi stopped him, because he followed a certain ideal that threatened to strip them of their power and half their ability to shape the galaxy as their code saw fit.

Again I'm not saying the Sith are better or even equal, I just don't think id ever wish to belong to either side.

Well, obviously if I was to chose between light and dark id chose the light, obviously the Jedi are the lesser of two evils.

However, Jedi have controlled the Republic for millennia, they held power in the senate until Ruusan, and even then had one of the highest ranking advisor positions in the entire republic. They all held the rank of general, and all because they could use the force. Exactly like the Sith. They say the dark side enslaves you, yet the light side strips away your humanity and forces you to live without true passion and emotion. The Jedi also take a role as peacekeepers, and take roles in wars siding with the Republic that gives them power. Sure, they say that it's to protect the innocent, but going back to Traya's ideals, it's not always true. Revans Empire for example. Had he succeeded, the Empire in exile would have been far easier bested in combat when the time came for them to invade, and the republic would have been in a stronger position.

Yet the Jedi stopped him, because he followed a certain ideal that threatened to strip them of their power and half their ability to shape the galaxy as their code saw fit.

Again I'm not saying the Sith are better or even equal, I just don't think id ever wish to belong to either side.

Well, that's an interesting way of looking at it. I take issue with some things you said, but that's your view of things and I don't fault you for that. I don't agree with your, of course, but it's an interesting perspective nonetheless.

(honestly with color for saber it would likely just be the standard blue or green) As for "jedi or Sith" The way I see things, and the way I see the Jedi code... Jedi would I be 100% with the code no... but 80-85% if not more ya... the basic Idea's and Tenents I would probably follow to the letter.