crafting is dying

chosonman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering I make 2-mill per day selling *just* mats... I disagree. someone is buying and crafting or i;d be broke.

Like.. selling mats is "crafting"..? Buying mats for conquest is like grinding for XP. I said repeatedly its not about the credits. Its about crafting gear for use.

Edited by chosonman

Like.. selling mats is "crafting"..? Buying mats for conquest is like grinding for XP. I said repeatedly its not about the credits. Its about crafting gear for use.

The mats I sell are for bio, arms and armor ... so I still disagree. Someone is making a ton of gear with my mats...

And.. the carnage continues... catel market +1 crafters 0

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=789814&page=3

Well, I made several million from it tonight (I'll let you figure out how) and completely, completely destroyed some of the crafting markets on the GTN. Only reason I stopped was because I was tried of clicking the slot machine. The crafting missions are all but pointless now. Seriously. Diplomacy, Underworld Trading, etc. - NO point in them. Purple 500 crafting missions are now virtually useless (at least at their current prices). They are going to have to change the rewards OR change the price on.....certain items which shall remain nameless. I love the slot machine but it literally made 1/3 of crafting skills obsolete in its current incarnation. Expect a change at some point.
Edited by chosonman

Yes crafting is dying. Its apparent bioware considers crafting counter to its goal of making money and catering to casual gamers. Say what you want about what you think about my initial post it doesnt bother me in the least what you think.

192 companion gear has essentially killed any reason to craft droid armor. Id be hard pressed to even craft mods, armoring, ears and implants after 80% of the potential was wiped out in one patch release.

So it's CYBERTECH that is dying, and maybe Artifice. The rest of the crafting skills are relatively unaffected by the yavin weekly dropping companion gear.

But wait, that gear is static stat and for companions only (and specific companions to boot). Gotta be honest, all the Yavin 4 weekly 192 companion gear does is encourage players to run the weekly on all their characters at least once (for their main companion gear for each character), more likely 5 times (once for each of the story companions), and maybe as many as 8 times (for HK, Treek, and ship droid; you know a lot of players are going to do it). You know what that really does? It extends the life of the Yavin 4 daily area. It gives the Devs several weeks where players will be content with current content :p; it gives them more time to work on new content.

Heres a conspiracy theory for you. "Kill crafting and every will have to buy their stuff from the Cartel Market muhaha"

In actuality if they made it minimaly profitable as possible they would have achieved their goal since it would be hard to buy all that nice CM gear without credits. Desperate players would have no choice but to spend real money on the cartel market. I sense a real trend to make this game revolve completely around the CM much like how Blizzard tried to and failed to make Diablo 3 around the RMAH.

Edited by chosonman

Forget cybertech have you seen this? They really dont care. If this goes unchanged itll be the nail I tell you.

Not going to read all 9 pages, but i do not see the problem.

First one has to get the slot machine from a pack or buy it off the GTN from someone who is willing to sell. Not that hard I get that.

Then one has to gamble 500 credits per try.

And for what? rep tokens and jawa junk? maybe a shot at something rare and desirable.

You are blowing this so far outta proportion.

Edited by psandak

Not going to read all 9 pages, but i do not see the problem.

First one has to get the slot machine from a pack or buy it off the GTN from someone who is willing to sell. Not that hard I get that.

Then one has to gamble 500 credits per try.

And for what? rep tokens and jawa junk? maybe a shot at something rare and desirable.

You are blowing this so far outta proportion.

Well, I made several million from it tonight (I'll let you figure out how) and completely, completely destroyed some of the crafting markets on the GTN. Only reason I stopped was because I was tried of clicking the slot machine. The crafting missions are all but pointless now. Seriously. Diplomacy, Underworld Trading, etc. - NO point in them. Purple 500 crafting missions are now virtually useless (at least at their current prices). They are going to have to change the rewards OR change the price on.....certain items which shall remain nameless. I love the slot machine but it literally made 1/3 of crafting skills obsolete in its current incarnation. Expect a change at some point.

One of the many quotes basically repeating the same thing.

Edited by chosonman

Armstech = Barrels, Augments, Augment Kits

Artifice = New Color Crystals (Tri-Color Crystals!) Relics, Enhancements

Synthweaving = Augments, Augment Kits, Orange Adaptive Armor

Biochem = Stims, Adrenals, Medpacs, Augment Kit parts, Implants that are good untill Ressurected Tier.

Cybertech = Orange Droid Parts, Armorings, Mods

Armormech = Orange Adaptive Armor, Augments, Augment Kits

Slicing = Money, Money, Money, Money, and MORE MONEY.

All of those things are useful, and so they arent going to die anytime soon, mainly because Bioware refuses to make the new gear optimized in any way shape or form...

It's hard to take you seriously, chosonman.

First you say this:

I said repeatedly its not about the credits. Its about crafting gear for use.

Then you quote this:

Well, I made several million from it tonight (I'll let you figure out how) and completely, completely destroyed some of the crafting markets on the GTN.

Which is all about making credits. :rolleyes:

Edited by Khevar

Actually they are for armor and weapons. So i told you so.

Add Color crystals, dyes, mounts to the list. So yea i was right.

So you have contradicted yourself again.

You said:

Eventually cartel market pack purchasers are going to be the defacto crafters. Mark my words.

But now you are saying it has already happened. Which is it?

I would be more worried about this new slot machine affecting crew skills profitability that anything else personally.

Mat costs go down crafting costs go down and if gathering becomes unsustainable as the profit = or < the mission cost those people gathering isntead of crafting may turn to crafting increasing supply.

I'm surei t's a temporary thing requiring a fix but it's still a rather surprising thing for Bioware to go and add like that without thinking of the repercussions unless of course they want the market to drop like a stone. If so that's their choice, things will just get cheaper and people may have less income to spend is all - the net result ends up the same with what people buy sell if everything gets cheaper anyway.

I would be more worried about this new slot machine affecting crew skills profitability that anything else personally.

I believe the saved Jawa junk from the last few months is more of an issue than the slots -- and once that backlog is used up, things will stabilize somewhat.

One of my guildies has the slots and I tested it. 250k worth of tokens got me 53 greens, 54 blues and 52 purples. Vendoring the reputation returned 133k, for a total expense of 117k

Now, greens can be collected quickly on Yavin, and blues are dirt cheap on the GTN, so just counting the purples end up at 2.25k each.

Running rich/bountiful missions for purple mats ends up costing 4k each. So for Midlithe and Doonium, the slot machine is cheaper. However, Autoimmune Regulators cost 2 purple Jawa junks, so the cost to obtain is more or less the same. Adaptive Circuitry takes three, so it's actually more expensive to use the slots.

Of course, the biggest advantage of the slots is the SPEED at which you gain mats. But the disadvantage is how terribly boring it is. The one thing TOR crafting has over other systems is that your companions can do it while you do something fun ...

/shrug

We'll see if they nerf the returns from the slots.

Edited by Khevar

I have to say that much of the 'doom and gloom" in this thread seems to be more like "The stuff that I want to craft isn't useful / profitable; so crafting is dead!"

That's kind of like GMC saying "People don't want to buy gas guzzling Hummers anymore; so the auto industry is dead!"

Edit: You know what? On second thought, it is silly as a merchant of crafted gear myself to try to convince my competition to stay in the market...

You're absolutely correct! Crafting is dead in this game. Nobody should waste another moment gathering materials or making stuff. You're just wasting your time!

Edited by JonnyRay

I have to say that much of the 'doom and gloom" in this thread seems to be more like "The stuff that I want to craft isn't useful / profitable; so crafting is dead!"

That's kind of like GMC saying "People don't want to buy gas guzzling Hummers anymore; so the auto industry is dead!"

Edit: You know what? On second thought, it is silly as a merchant of crafted gear myself to try to convince my competition to stay in the market...

You're absolutely correct! Crafting is dead in this game. Nobody should waste another moment gathering materials or making stuff. You're just wasting your time!

Heh heh :D

I agree completely :)

Well said!

I believe the saved Jawa junk from the last few months is more of an issue than the slots -- and once that backlog is used up, things will stabilize somewhat.

One of my guildies has the slots and I tested it. 250k worth of tokens got me 53 greens, 54 blues and 52 purples. Vendoring the reputation returned 133k, for a total expense of 117k

Now, greens can be collected quickly on Yavin, and blues are dirt cheap on the GTN, so just counting the purples end up at 2.25k each.

Running rich/bountiful missions for purple mats ends up costing 4k each. So for Midlithe and Doonium, the slot machine is cheaper. However, Autoimmune Regulators cost 2 purple Jawa junks, so the cost to obtain is more or less the same. Adaptive Circuitry takes three, so it's actually more expensive to use the slots.

Of course, the biggest advantage of the slots is the SPEED at which you gain mats. But the disadvantage is how terribly boring it is. The one thing TOR crafting has over other systems is that your companions can do it while you do something fun ...

/shrug

We'll see if they nerf the returns from the slots.

Thank you for the analysis.

And I would just like to point out that the slot machine usage will not last. It is a new shiny now and so lots of players are playing with it. I give it two weeks to a month at the latest that the slot machine will just be another decoration in one's stronghold - barely noticed.

Thank you for the analysis.

And I would just like to point out that the slot machine usage will not last. It is a new shiny now and so lots of players are playing with it. I give it two weeks to a month at the latest that the slot machine will just be another decoration in one's stronghold - barely noticed.

Not unless they nerf it. As is, it will replace sending companions out for almost any missions.

Not unless they nerf it. As is, it will replace sending companions out for almost any missions.

I suppose.

But think about gathering on Yavin. It could have replaced running Scavenging / Archaeology / Bioanalysis missions. However, those who found it boring (such as myself) would rather kick off a few crew missions on alts, and then go play the fun parts of the game.

Standing in one place right clicking a machine every few seconds? I don't know about you, but that's less appealing than doing a gathering run on Yavin, which is itself already less appealing than doing the same dailies over and over.

The fact of the matter is, during the first month of 3.0, materials were in such short demand that enterprising crafters were able to sell raw mats and/or final products with an absurdly huge mark-up. Mind you, I'm not complaining. Heck, during week 2 of the expansion, I sold a stack of 99 Adaptive Circuitry (which cost me ~320k to obtain) for 8.5 million credits. Even taking the 6% gtn commission into a account, that's 2300% pure profit.

But I knew this wasn't going to last forever.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if BW adjusts either the return rate on the slot machine, or the price of the slot coins, or the exchange rate of Jawa Junk (or some combination of the above).

But even if they don't? I'm still going to run crew missions. And not just for the Adaptive Circuitry (which is more expensive to get with the slots) -- but because standing still and right clicking on a machine is pretty danged boring.

/2cents

How long do you really think players are going to want to sit at that slot machine? Like real life slots there will be a segment of the population that sits there like zombies all day and night - that cannot be helped. But I guarantee that once the "new shiny" wears off it will not be a problem; in my estimation a month at most.