The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP Tanking and Gear ... add in some DPS accessories?

Discount_Bob

So, I was planning on respeccing to one of the other choices, but I like tanking in PvP. I feel pretty decent at survivability but can't kill anyone worth a flip. Part of this is a lack of expertise still, but I'm curious if it's worthwhile to pick up DPS implants/earpiece/augments to supplement my damage.

As tank, your role first and foremost is to mitigate damage. Shield/absorb gear is obviously most appropriate to this end. I also have a second tanking set with high endurance/power/surge for group ranked (providing I'm not playing against tank tunnel). PT tank has no real dropping power obviously, but can still chip in solid amount of damage even with full tanking gear > http://imgur.com/EcEFFNb. I run Fortitude augs in both my tanking sets. Edited by breaktobuild

You can do that, but that defeats your purpose and goal as a tank. Your main role is to harass, debuff and keep everybody alive and not to drop targets. If you know how to play a DPS PT, getting good damage will come naturally, while keeping up with guard swapping, of course. PT tank is an aoe debuff machine, utilize those AoE skills to the fullest and you'll see better results. Edited by dijskykiller

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to do damage, respec to a damage spec. Tanking is about surviving, and absorbing damage for your teammates, you don't need damage gear on a dedicated tank.

The most effective way to build a PvP tank is to stack as much endurance (fortitude augments) as you can, and use shield/absorb mods/enhancements (still endurance heavy). Defense rating only works against half of the attack types players use (and is completely useless against a sorc/sage), so you want to rely on your shield and massive healthpool more than dodging attacks when taking direct damage. Your health is also your only real defense against incoming guard damage, which is the main reason why you want a lot of endurance.

Edited by Col_Wilson

Your health is also your only real defense against incoming guard damage, which is the main reason why you want a lot of endurance.

this is wrong, you can shield incoming damage from guard

stacking hp is right because of krits and elemental/internal damage