Question about ties...

Sinapus

I haven't seen this happen in anything except a deathmatch where the timer ran out, but how does the game handle a tie? Does it register as a defeat for both teams?

(I guess it's possible for both sides to fight over all 3 sats and keep them grey and never advance their score on that sort of match, but I've never seen that happen.)

I haven't seen this happen in anything except a deathmatch where the timer ran out, but how does the game handle a tie? Does it register as a defeat for both teams?

(I guess it's possible for both sides to fight over all 3 sats and keep them grey and never advance their score on that sort of match, but I've never seen that happen.)

If the game is unable to determine a victor for whatever reason (match cancelled before anyone scores, equality in a TDM that times out, whatever) then both teams suffer a defeat, yes.

Isn't this true of domination and tdm since they both count kills as points?

Technically, in TDM having more kills means not having a tie at all... So not even worth mentionning since it was about ties.

Not sure of how self-destructions count though...

Edited by Altheran

In domination it counts whoever got more kills. If neither side had any kills then its a defeat for both.

and if time runs out, and both sides have the same number, everyone loses.

Losing is just the absence of winning. If no one wins, everyone loses.

Technically, in TDM having more kills means not having a tie at all... So not even worth mentionning since it was about ties.

Not sure of how self-destructions count though...

Self destructs still count as points in either Dom or TDM. You still get assists from guys who sui, etc. It denies the other team the "kill", but it still ticks the counter in both modes. Outside of no one landing the killing blow, and thus not getting credit for that kill at the end scoreboard, I don't think there's a difference in how the system "grades" a self destruct.

and if time runs out, and both sides have the same number, everyone loses.

Losing is just the absence of winning. If no one wins, everyone loses.

And you're right, but in > 2000 matches, the closest I've ever seen to a true tie in Dom was a 998-1000 game. It's theoretically possible, but tying in a Dom would seem to be quite rare.

And you're right, but in > 2000 matches, the closest I've ever seen to a true tie in Dom was a 998-1000 game. It's theoretically possible, but tying in a Dom would seem to be quite rare.

It would be nigh impossible due to the precision in which a computer can keep track of time.

Self destructs still count as points in either Dom or TDM. You still get assists from guys who sui, etc. It denies the other team the "kill", but it still ticks the counter in both modes. Outside of no one landing the killing blow, and thus not getting credit for that kill at the end scoreboard, I don't think there's a difference in how the system "grades" a self destruct.

What it be interesting to know is if the system just follow the number of destructions and says that there is no tie-breaker in TDM, or would it follow the number of actual killing blows (potentially using self-destruction tie-breaker) ?

IMO, the latter would be lame.

But since I never got the "win" in a TDM tie (not that I got many of them), I'll assume that self-destructions are kills like any other for the system.

What it be interesting to know is if the system just follow the number of destructions and says that there is no tie-breaker in TDM, or would it follow the number of actual killing blows (potentially using self-destruction tie-breaker) ?

IMO, the latter would be lame.

But since I never got the "win" in a TDM tie (not that I got many of them), I'll assume that self-destructions are kills like any other for the system.

Well, the point is that there's no win in a TDM tie. Both sides end up with the defeat screen. As near as I've ever been able to tell, they don't have a tie breaker system.

It would be nigh impossible due to the precision in which a computer can keep track of time.

And I largely agree with this, but it would depend on how it's set up, which is why I left open the possibility. It could very well be that there's a microsecond difference in incrementing the scores, which would lead to a win for 1 side or the other. I THINK it would be possible if it were set up to tick at the same time for both teams, but you could still run into a line by line execution scenario where it increments 1 score, and a game state takes over to launch the end screen before the other score has been ticked. It really depends on how they have the handlers set up to deal with the incoming data and time changing. It's theory though. As I said, I've never seen a "real" tie in a Dom match, and you'd need to coordinate 16 people in order to truly test it.

Considering I'm sure someone posted a screenie of a 51-xx TDM here once... I wouldn't say impossible.

Interesting... Never saw that one. I'd assume it was done via bombs? I guess possibly Ion Rail AoE, but that seems pretty unlikely. I suppose it's possible that 2 people got a kill at exactly the same instant, but it would have to be pretty incredible timing for that to be the case.

Well, the point is that there's no win in a TDM tie. Both sides end up with the defeat screen. As near as I've ever been able to tell, they don't have a tie breaker system.

And I largely agree with this, but it would depend on how it's set up, which is why I left open the possibility. It could very well be that there's a microsecond difference in incrementing the scores, which would lead to a win for 1 side or the other. I THINK it would be possible if it were set up to tick at the same time for both teams, but you could still run into a line by line execution scenario where it increments 1 score, and a game state takes over to launch the end screen before the other score has been ticked. It really depends on how they have the handlers set up to deal with the incoming data and time changing. It's theory though. As I said, I've never seen a "real" tie in a Dom match, and you'd need to coordinate 16 people in order to truly test it.

I could see it happening in a game that times out. But I don't think you could get a match that ends 1000-1000, since there is always *some* difference between when the scores increment , even if it is very small. So the closest you could get would be 1000-999, since the game ends the instant one score increments to 1000. But if the game times out, I think it would be possible to have a score, of say, 600-600. You would have one score increment, then the other, then a pause, then first one again, then the 2nd. If the game timed out during that pause, you would end up with both teams having the same score. Very, very unlikely, but theoretically possible.

I could see it happening in a game that times out. But I don't think you could get a match that ends 1000-1000, since there is always *some* difference between when the scores increment , even if it is very small. So the closest you could get would be 1000-999, since the game ends the instant one score increments to 1000. But if the game times out, I think it would be possible to have a score, of say, 600-600. You would have one score increment, then the other, then a pause, then first one again, then the 2nd. If the game timed out during that pause, you would end up with both teams having the same score. Very, very unlikely, but theoretically possible.

So the new goal this weekend is to get the last hit for a kill as the opposition gets their final tick to put both teams at 1000 at the same time :)

I dunno. I mean, again, in theory, I agree with you, because a LOT would have to go "right", but I do wonder what might happen if you had 2 scouts on opposing sides that are identical builds with no lag or computer difference go to A and C at the beginning of a match, boosting the entire way, getting there at the same time, and capping at the same time, and both teams outside of that not doing anything, and no one ever caps B, and the teams don't fight.

Assuming you could get the counters going at the same time (or with extremely minimal differences), I would imagine that under certain architecture, you could theoretically get a 1000-1000 "tie". That said, I kind of doubt there's enough time in the game to do that and go to 1000.

It's kind of a pointless exercise anyway, and falls into the infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters, and eventually having one of them write Shakespeare category. Without knowing the architecture, we can speculate as to whether or not it can happen, but the number of things that would need to fall into place is so great that it's effectively impossible to do.

But seriously, if they have it set up to increment all "captured" satellites at a specific time (ie - Every second, the engine checks to see if a sat is occupied, and if so, increment the scores, and after doing that, checking the score to see if either team hits 1000), rather than running separate timers that start the moment you capture a sat, in theory, I'd argue that the fraction of a second time difference may not matter, and wouldn't push 1 side into winning before the other. It should be sort of easy to check, though... Do the scores actually change at the same time? Or is it offset? If it's offset, then each sat has a specific timer, and you can't get a 1000-1000 tie. If they tick together, then the increment is probably tied to the game timer, and it's still theoretically possible you could get a tie (unless invalidated by the source code at another point, which we can't see). Just extremely unlikely.

Edited by nyghtrunner