So, what are the typical mistakes a DPS makes in a WZ?

DomiSotto

Like others have said, there are a thousand variables to consider as to the reason for low DPS numbers. But up time is the most critical. Because if you are up and in game, odds are the opposing team isn't and with a lot of matches that means they are rezing or scattered. They are easy targets if scattered.

Guild runs are important too. If for no other reason than guilds tend to run as herds in warzones and stick close together. I have seen many characters be a sliver of health near death and a guildmate in the warzone saves them in the nick of time. Yes, commonication is part of it, But more times than note is simply a guildmate watching the health of guild members in the match and saving the day. Going in solo you just don't get that. People's priorities change. The go from saving teammates to doing objectives and killing opposing team members. The reason for this should be obvious. Just because you save a random team mate doesn't mean they will return the favor. So people just don't do it unless they know the players in question.

As a healer, you are target number one in a match regardless (unless it is Huttball). The first thing you should do as a healer in every match is announce you are one and ask if anybody else is. If somebody is, stiick to each other like glue. Odds are the opposing team while focus on one of the other but not both. Between your heals and your buddies, you stand a good chance of surviving through the focus. And even if you don't odds are your sacrifice allowed your fellow team mates to take an objective so it is win win regardless.

Another thing I see the really good dps players do is use their down time to their advantage. For example, whether you are healer specc or just have a few heal class abilities, players will spam these abilites when behind the barrier. Why do they do it? Two reasons. One, as people buff they tend to raise their endurance a little bit and this tops them off before the barrier goes down. The second reason is that it tends to raise their token numbers which are required to use whatever critical skill their class has been given. They then have maxed out token counts as soon as the barrier drops and they can then do better damage or healing for a short time. This not only raises their immediate numbers (in damage or healing) but also makes up for their rez time behind the barrier.

The final piece of advice I can give is know your strengths and weaknesses in an objective. Stealthers make great ojective defenders and takers. Healers do not. Tanks tend to be bad at taking an ojective but good at defending. It also helps to play a mirror class of what you see the most of in warzones. If the opposing factions tend to field more force users, there tends to be a reason. So to counter their DOTs and negate their strengths you have to put fire against fire.

TY. As heals I do the HoTs and bubbles rounds behind the gate, I think most heals do to announce their spec and to start the procs rolling, but I love the idea to run with the other heals, if s/he is present. Normally, I have no heals on the teams, though, and that's one of the reasons why I try to play one now that the Scoundrel finally is not the only option. :)

Also, ty for confirming my feeling that as a tank taking objectives (save when i am going to guard the off-node/Huttball) is not my strength. I am v.happy to leave that to Stealth :)

Thanks folks, I am pretty sure the positioning is a big deal, and I try to remember where the people sit who are hard to get at, but I remember trying to get to those places, and being killed en route. I also seen people forming 'power blocks' of healers and rDPS, that are susceptible to AoE, but work great before you could drop one on top of them and scatter.

So, either a nook, or a block.

From what Darth and you are saying, I think I looked at both Naga and Logi, and I liked Naga better because the pad was upturned towards the thumb. I will take another look. Unfortunately, they are in the box, so I could not position the hand (grr).

I don't know if it is worth it to bind the whole 36 on the mouse though, because I will end up with the same problem of fighting and moving on the same hand, and that's what I wanted to avoid. I really want to just move and target on the right, but leave the casting on the left.

Is that how you do it, only you move on the left with the ASWD/QE? But then how do you set off Shft/Alt?Ctrl atthe same time?

Heh, sorry, I know, I am annoying :)

I used WASD to move and hold the right mouse button down at all times to move camera and while pressed it means A+D are now strafe Left/Right

1-12 are on the mouse which I bind all my major abilities too, then with my left hand while using WASD I can use my thumb to press on the down direction pad (shift) or the up direction (Ctrl) so I can move and still cast anything on the move.

That's more than enough keybinds linked to them so I also use the right direction key as my medpack, and the up key for wz adrenal

Anyway a picture paints a thousand words

http://www.razerzone.com/gb-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-nostromo

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-molten

Edited by DarthClarky

Thanks for linking! It is very interesting set up, but I think it is far too different from what I am doing, because I was never an ASWD person. I honestly can't remember what I did before I started moving with the mouse (?). I think what I really want is to completely delegate the moving and targeting to the right on the mouse, and keep keyboard binds as they are for fighting on the left.

So, I keep seeing people posting some amazing DPS numbers, and I am in awe. Thing is, I have never had any success whatsoever with DPS characters, maybe at times hitting 300 thou DPS. From my DPS I mostly played in under 55 bracket, and just a little bit more in the 55 bracket on a DF Slinger.

So, now if I decide to put one of my DPS in a L60 bracket, I really want to figure out what I need to be doing differently to be over the 300 thousand. I know, it is a laughable number for most people, I understand. But for me, doing consitently over it will be like a dream come true!

So... what should I be watching out for? i will be equipping a DPS in 162 with Obroan relics. Other than that?

Too many suicide into 3+ players without support and die... You can't put out big numbers if you are dead all match

Stay near your healer too... And protect them... If they stay alive, so do you

I think what I really want is to completely delegate the moving and targeting to the right on the mouse, and keep keyboard binds as they are for fighting on the left.
Then instead of getting a million-button mouse, get a 5-button and use the thumb ones for targeting.

Also, as a healer, learn to use and love your self- and focus-target modifer keys. Note that the focus targets yourself if you don't actually have a focus target.

I have a 5-button mouse, but I need Strafe L/R, Move Backwards, Acquire Target's Target, Acquire Focus Target, Target Self, Target Nearest Friend, Target Next Friend, Target Companion, Focus Target Modifier, in addition to Target Center Screen, and, maybe, a couple of "NOW!" abilities (like Guard, Cleanse, Interrupt), which brings me to about 10-12 buttons. :o Edited by DomiSotto

First off:

- If you are thinking about your numbers you are going into warzones with the wrong mindset. Objectives and winning the warzone is all that counts. If you want to get a number worth achieving, go for getting 7 MVP in a PUG.

- That said. The usual problem is that you die. Dying means time spent on rezzing that overwise could be padding your awesome deerps. So if you really want to get high numbers you

1) Join a premade. Get some guarding and healing, so you don't die.

2) Pick your fights. Dont try to delay a cap by taking three on at one time dying in the progress. **** that. Go for the weird easy PVE-geared kills that are on the fringe on the warzone as they dont know how to fight. Ignore objectives.

3) If DOT class, spread them like showers. It's merely fluff, but goddamn it look good on the scoreboard.

4) Theres likely a number 4 but I cannot currently come up with it.

Heh, I understand, but still the lack of numbers just bothers me for some reason. I now sort by zones results, and MVP the player with the highest objectives score, unless someone did something awesome in my field of view or saved my sweet B.

Anyway, after reading and watching the reviews, I decided to get the game keypad in addition to the mouse after all. I'll just pretend I have a teenage son in the store. Don't think it s going to make me that much better, but it makes a lot of sense for a gaming machine.

Edited by DomiSotto