The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sith Training / Apprenticeship

Gorthma

This is a question I have always wondered. In the Star Wars universe is there any actual instruction between a Sith Overseer / Lord and his Acolytes / Apprentice?

Both in TOR and the Movie Timelines it seems the only training that takes place is the Lord throwing his apprentice into harder and harder situations and seeing if they survive. Does any actual instruction take place? For example we hear on and on about what Palpatine can teach Anakin but does he ever sit down and actually instruct him in anything? Did Sideous have a Force Lightning 101 class with Dooku? Does Vader actually teach Starkiller dueling methods?

If I remember correctly there is an actual classroom in the Korriban academy somewhere in the back but you never actually see a Sith Lord teaching anyone in the universe other than putting them through hell.

There are plenty of instances where Jedi Masters are shown teaching younglings and padawans but there has to be at least some instructional time for Sith right?

In TCW we see Dooku training Savage Opress

In many EU/legends books we read about Sith guiding their apprentices.

But there is a lot of "throwing them into tougher and tougher situations to see if they survive."

But, when you think about it, even the Jedi training we see in the movies is limited:

• In the entirety of the PT we only ever see "younglings" training with Yoda in E2 and that is more of an "aww how cute" moment than anything else.
  • In E4 Obi-wan starts Luke's training on the Falcon
  • In E5 we get bits of training on Dagobah

That's it.

In TWC we get a glimpse at training with the younglings on Ilum and beyond, but again that's it.

This is a question I have always wondered. In the Star Wars universe is there any actual instruction between a Sith Overseer / Lord and his Acolytes / Apprentice?

Both in TOR and the Movie Timelines it seems the only training that takes place is the Lord throwing his apprentice into harder and harder situations and seeing if they survive. Does any actual instruction take place? For example we hear on and on about what Palpatine can teach Anakin but does he ever sit down and actually instruct him in anything? Did Sideous have a Force Lightning 101 class with Dooku? Does Vader actually teach Starkiller dueling methods?

If I remember correctly there is an actual classroom in the Korriban academy somewhere in the back but you never actually see a Sith Lord teaching anyone in the universe other than putting them through hell.

There are plenty of instances where Jedi Masters are shown teaching younglings and padawans but there has to be at least some instructional time for Sith right?

Yes. The sith train their students. In the Sith Warrior storyline it's mentioned that you've been trained quite a bit before you even see overseer tremmel. In the game you only see the tail end of the Sith characters you play as going through their training. At that point they're doing their trials to become Sith. In the Darth Bane book you can read about Bane's instruction and later his instruction on Zannah. In the clone wars cartoon series you can see Doku giving instruction to Grievous, Opress, and Ventress. In the Plagueis novel you can read about Palpatine's instruction.

It happens, just mostly off screen because it is less interesting for the viewer then 'test time' when the apprentice gets thrown to the lions to see how well they are progressing. As someone else already said, we saw Dooku training Savage in TCW. The first book in the Bane trilogy also shows a lot of downtime training since it is appropriate to the story the book is telling (the other two might also, but I haven't read them yet).

One particular area that this stands out to me is with the Consular and Yuon Par. She does nothing - *absolutely nothing* - to teach you anything for the whole of Tython and then gets all sick and whiney. Then later in the story line there so many instances where you say things to Yuon as a consular like "I owe you so much, you taught me everything I know" and kiss her ***

One particular area that this stands out to me is with the Consular and Yuon Par. She does nothing - *absolutely nothing* - to teach you anything for the whole of Tython and then gets all sick and whiney. Then later in the story line there so many instances where you say things to Yuon as a consular like "I owe you so much, you taught me everything I know" and kiss her ***

Can you imagine how much it must suck to be the nameless people who actually trained the Consular and Knight? They spent years training them and get zero acknowledgement while everyone considers their true masters to be some *****s who barely even spoke to them, let alone taught them, but who kinda just declared themselves their master. It is worse because there is really no good reason Yuon and Orgus couldn't have already been training them before the game started instead of just being assigned to them during their home stretch upon arriving at Tython with their real teachers remaining nameless unimportant nobodies.

It happens, just mostly off screen because it is less interesting for the viewer then 'test time' when the apprentice gets thrown to the lions to see how well they are progressing.

^ This precisely. The Prologue and Chapter One of the class stories span a full year, so there's a lot of implied 'off screen' stuff going on. It can be presumed that either/both the overseers are doing some actual instruction and/or the "trainers" on various worlds are doing so - it's just that as a game mechanic it gets displayed as "pay credits -> flash of light -> presto, you now know more stuff".

As someone else already said, we saw Dooku training Savage in TCW. The first book in the Bane trilogy also shows a lot of downtime training since it is appropriate to the story the book is telling (the other two might also, but I haven't read them yet).

The Darth Plagueis novel and the Shadow Academy arc in the Young Jedi Knights series (although they weren't technically Sith) also cover some of Dark Side training.