The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need help, I am getting conflicting information. (PVE TANKING)

Larsenex

So I am shield tech tank. Only PVE no PVP.

I have 192 offhand and chest.

The rest are full 186 including absorb and defense relics.

I am augmented for shield, absorb and defense (3 defense, 6 shield and 5 absorb).

Last night a guild member stated the following:

Shield chance is hard capped at 45%

Defense is hard capped at 18% and i need to add 3 'Fortitude' augs. (***?)

His statements flies in the face of all I have learned and read.

So can anyone point me in optimum stat distribution for my tank? Is there hard caps to our 'defensive' stats and what numbers (breakdown) is ideal? I can read and apply KBN's stat breakdown after a tanking sim.

I have 16 purple tanking stims so I am good there. I also have stacks of (lvl 60) absorb and attack adrenals since there are times I may need those either for dmg or such.

Since 2.5, I have never read anywhere that endurance is better than defense type augs.

Also i have both an artificer and cybertech. Should i replace the 'armoring s n mods' in my 'basic' gear if they are better?

Thanks very much here

Edited by Larsenex
spelling.

So I am shield tech tank. Only PVE no PVP.

I have 192 offhand and chest.

The rest are full 186 including absorb and defense relics.

I am augmented for shield, absorb and defense (3 defense, 6 shield and 5 absorb).

Last night a guild member stated the following:

Shield chance is hard capped at 45%

Defense is hard capped at 18% and i need to add 3 'Fortitude' augs. (***?)

His statements flies in the face of all I have learned and read.

So can anyone point me in optimum stat distribution for my tank? Is there hard caps to our 'defensive' stats and what numbers (breakdown) is ideal? I can read and apply KBN's stat breakdown after a tanking sim.

I have 16 purple tanking stims so I am good there. I also have stacks of (lvl 60) absorb and attack adrenals since there are times I may need those either for dmg or such.

Since 2.5, I have never read anywhere that endurance is better than defense type augs.

Also i have both an artificer and cybertech. Should i replace the 'armoring s n mods' in my 'basic' gear if they are better?

Thanks very much here

Technically, there are hard caps. These are:

Defense: At infinite defense rating, you will have a 30% boost to your defense from stats alone

Shield: At infinite shield rating, you will have a 50% boost to your shield chance from stats alone

Absorb: At infinite absorb rating, you will have a 50% boost to your absorb chance from stats alone

For now, go for the following:

ARMORINGS - Try and get a Dread Forged/Dread Master set bonus if possible, if not a Resurrected set bonus. There are a ton of HM DF/DP runs going now on the fleet, so it should be rather easy to get one.

MODS - Since you can craft the really good enhancements, feel free to use B-mods (from either comm gear or from a cybertech for the 186s) to escape spike damage. Of course, if you can get the unlettered mods, use them instead.

ENHANCEMENTS - Immunity/Sturdiness from an artificer. Everything else is pathetic.

AUGMENTS - Shield, Absorb or Defense ones. Typically right now, you just want 14 shield ones, based off what people who tank the harder raids are using as augments (as powertechs/vanguards, we really like shield rating, and the spare absorb/defense we are missing out on comes from the fact we get the good enhancements again finally)

So yeah, NEVER get endurance augments. if you have to get extra health, just use B-mods.

Get all your augments as Shield augments

Use a "Fortunate Redoubt" and a "Reactive Warding" relic, and get yourself an "Ephemeral Mending" relic for fights that have lots of AoE damage going out (it doesn't have to be a high percentage of damage, just high frequency - e.g. Malaphar the Savage, Dread Master Brontes, Sword Squadron Commander), as in those fights the Ephemeral Mending is your best relic. Why? Vanguards/Powertechs have a passive ability from level 10 onwards that causes a self-heal on being AoEd (3 second lockout) that can proc the relic, which makes said relic the best option out of all of them when you can reliably use your passive health regen

Anyway, I think i've covered everything.

Edited by TACeMossie

Technically, there are hard caps. These are:

Defense: At infinite defense rating, you will have a 30% boost to your defense from stats alone

Shield: At infinite shield rating, you will have a 50% boost to your shield chance from stats alone

Absorb: At infinite absorb rating, you will have a 50% boost to your absorb chance from stats alone

For now, go for the following:

ARMORINGS - Try and get a Dread Forged/Dread Master set bonus if possible, if not a Resurrected set bonus. There are a ton of HM DF/DP runs going now on the fleet, so it should be rather easy to get one.

MODS - Since you can craft the really good enhancements, feel free to use B-mods (from either comm gear or from a cybertech for the 186s) to escape spike damage. Of course, if you can get the unlettered mods, use them instead.

ENHANCEMENTS - Immunity/Sturdiness from an artificer. Everything else is pathetic.

AUGMENTS - Shield, Absorb or Defense ones. Typically right now, you just want 14 shield ones, based off what people who tank the harder raids are using as augments (as powertechs/vanguards, we really like shield rating, and the spare absorb/defense we are missing out on comes from the fact we get the good enhancements again finally)

So yeah, NEVER get endurance augments. if you have to get extra health, just use B-mods.

Get all your augments as Shield augments

Use a "Fortunate Redoubt" and a "Reactive Warding" relic, and get yourself an "Ephemeral Mending" relic for fights that have lots of AoE damage going out (it doesn't have to be a high percentage of damage, just high frequency - e.g. Malaphar the Savage, Dread Master Brontes, Sword Squadron Commander), as in those fights the Ephemeral Mending is your best relic. Why? Vanguards/Powertechs have a passive ability from level 10 onwards that causes a self-heal on being AoEd (3 second lockout) that can proc the relic, which makes said relic the best option out of all of them when you can reliably use your passive health regen

Anyway, I think i've covered everything.

Okay now i am very confused. Does 3.0 take away the importance of endurance?

I have geared with 186 implants and earpiece from basic comm vender. Rest of gear is crafted 186 commando armourings, mods(b) and immunity/sturdiness enhancements. etc and relics of russan 186. Everything is augmented with advanced shield augs and my total HP is only 50000? Its actually lower than my commando in full 186's. Shouldn't we be much higher in endurance than dps? All augments secondary stat is power now, so no extra endurance.

To add to the above the stat distributions seem way off.

with full Shield augs , i have 3 192 pieces and rest is 186 with crafted implants/earpiece/relics.

My defense is about 18.64%

my shield rating raced up to 47.33%

my absorb dropped down to 32.56%

My values are not anywhere near Keyboardninjas stat distributions per dulfy's site. I would need to swap out 5 shield augs to bring absorb back up to the correct distributions for someone with a 2900 stat pool.

Okay now i am very confused. Does 3.0 take away the importance of endurance?

I have geared with 186 implants and earpiece from basic comm vender. Rest of gear is crafted 186 commando armourings, mods(b) and immunity/sturdiness enhancements. etc and relics of russan 186. Everything is augmented with advanced shield augs and my total HP is only 50000? Its actually lower than my commando in full 186's. Shouldn't we be much higher in endurance than dps? All augments secondary stat is power now, so no extra endurance.

sounds like your commando is in all, or mostly all comm gear, which is heavy on endurance. Secondary stats always trump endurance.

sounds like your commando is in all, or mostly all comm gear, which is heavy on endurance. Secondary stats always trump endurance.

He is in all comm gear. So i guess this is normal now for a dps to be higher in hp than a tank? Doesn't seem right. I thought i was doing something wrong when gearing my vanguard.

He is in all comm gear. So i guess this is normal now for a dps to be higher in hp than a tank? Doesn't seem right. I thought i was doing something wrong when gearing my vanguard.

The ability to mitigate the most amount of damage possible is the primary job of the tank, simply 'taking damage' is something anyone can do.

A tank in all comm gear is going to have upwards of 55k health. They will be a crappy tank, but will have more health than other players. Again, pointless to stack endurance for the sake of more hitpoints.

Edited by Volcan

Hard to do right Corbin, this is sithras.

I have 4 of my 56 tanks leveled and geared at 60. As soon as I saw the comm gear I thought oh boy. This is gonna cause some probs. On one hand- tanks can finally buy tank gear with comms and it's not threaded with accuracy alacrity. However it is all endurance heavy "b" mods and enhancements.

What that does is greatly increase your hit points but at the same time it takes away your mitogation.

I know you heard me complain about how hard it was to gear a tank pre 3.0... We had to run hardmodes and literally win 4 set bonus pieces and 10x more set bonus pieces of any kind and tear out mods and enhancements.

Now you have tanks running around with 53k health and really good healers cannot even heal them. Bc they are taking more damage than healers can heal.

It's a nightmare.

My advice- if you have 180 raid gear (min max mods or enhancements ) keep them over 186 comm gear.

Keep all set bonus armorings- for a tank even 162 is better than no setbonus in 186.

Buy comm gear DPS armorings for any piece That isn't a set bonus.

Have an artifice craft you sturdiness 186 enhacements (absorb) or immunity enhancements 186 (defense)

Those are the min max enhacements now(they were not available per 3.0 for raiding)

They are really really good. higher mitigation stat than even the old bastion and bulwarks were.

My main Jugg tank has 46k health- and full min max 180 mods/ 186 enhacements.

And he's sitting at 3400 total mitigation. From memory 23% def, 38 shield, 35 absorb

As you start to get drops- 192b comm gear (always look and see if endurance is higher than mainstat- if it is-- its a b mod. ) (or it could be an a mod - which is high mainstat, med endurance, low mitigation)

One tier lower- min max is always better than - one tier higher a or B mod.

Keep setbonus always until you get new set bonus.

Good luck