Dirty Blast v Charged burst

Wanchope

I'm sure I am missing something, but the tool tips seem to imply that Charged burst does more damage than the new ability Dirty Blast. Folks on the forums here are saying that DB does more though. What am I missing?

Dirty Blast does less weapon damage than Charged Burst. True. But it also does about the same amount in internal damage.. Which amount to a lot more than Charged burst for 5 less energy.

I'm sure I am missing something, but the tool tips seem to imply that Charged burst does more damage than the new ability Dirty Blast. Folks on the forums here are saying that DB does more though. What am I missing?

The total damage (weapon + bleed) is lower on Dirty Blast than the total damage from Charged Burst.

AFAIK the trick is down to the damage types.

Weapon damage is Energy, which is usually lowered quite a bit by your armor and defensive cooldowns, especially if you're a tank. (about 20-80%)

The bleed is Internal damage and armor does not lower that type of damage. Therefore, internal damage is usually lowered a lot less than Energy damage (about 10-40%)

Just for the record... my tool tips say:

Dirty Blast - 15 Energy. 1931-2346 weapon damage plus 1565 bleed damage.

Charged Burst takes 20 energy and does 3785 - 4598 weapon damage.

I guess the energy difference is the real win. Sure 1565 internal is gonna hit a bit more, but not that much.

Just for the record... my tool tips say:

Dirty Blast - 15 Energy. 1931-2346 weapon damage plus 1565 bleed damage.

Charged Burst takes 20 energy and does 3785 - 4598 weapon damage.

I guess the energy difference is the real win. Sure 1565 internal is gonna hit a bit more, but not that much.

My tooltips:

Dirty: 2337-2808 Weapon + 1916 internal

Charged: 4583-5504 Weapon

A quick parse of Dirty Blast vs Charged Burst on Dummy with Armor + class debuffs: https://imgur.com/UArRFkI

Averages:

Dirty Blast:

2236 + 1796 + 134 = 4166 damage per non-crit

3835 + 3004 + 213 = 7052 damage per crit

Charged Burst:

3352 + 254 = 3606 damage per non-crit

5604 + 355 = 5959 damage per crit

This is not precise data since the sample size is so small (30 attacks per skill) and I'm not entirely sure how well Dummy damage values translate into actual fight, but so far it does seem like Dirty Blast is an upgrade.

Edited by MFollin

Do you guys have explanation or a link to a guide about the different damage types, f.e. kinetic, energy, elemental and whatever else.

I just startend again and having bit problems with this and the understanding about the difference between range accuracy 100% cap and tech 110% also.

THX in advance

Edited by Kjeldoran

Do you guys have explanation or a link to a guide about the different damage types, f.e. kinetic, energy, elemental and whatever else.

I just startend again and having bit problems with this and the understanding about the difference between range accuracy 100% cap and tech 110% also.

THX in advance

I think this article on Dulfy explains most (if not all) of your questions: http://dulfy.net/2014/04/24/swtor-mechanics-basics-understanding-expected-damage/

But a quick summery:

Kinetic and energy damage: Is affected by the target's armor.

Elemental and internal damage: Is not affected by the target's armor.

You get Force/Tech accuarcy to 110% so all attacks but basic attack have a 100% chance to hit the target without a miss, dodge, parry or resist.

My tooltips:

Dirty: 2337-2808 Weapon + 1916 internal

Charged: 4583-5504 Weapon

A quick parse of Dirty Blast vs Charged Burst on Dummy with Armor + class debuffs: https://imgur.com/UArRFkI

Averages:

Dirty Blast:

2236 + 1796 + 134 = 4166 damage per non-crit

3835 + 3004 + 213 = 7052 damage per crit

Charged Burst:

3352 + 254 = 3606 damage per non-crit

5604 + 355 = 5959 damage per crit

This is not precise data since the sample size is so small (30 attacks per skill) and I'm not entirely sure how well Dummy damage values translate into actual fight, but so far it does seem like Dirty Blast is an upgrade.

Did you test Charged Burst in Sharpshooter spec? Charged Burst gets a lot of upgrades in Sharpshooter. Charged Burst in Sharpshooter and Dirty Blast should come out to be around the same.

I dont know if all specs have dirty blast.

But as far as I understand: mm uses charged burst,

sabo the thermal Grenade

and dirty fighter the dirty blast skill in their Rotation.

Edit: THX @ whojoo for the link.

Sadly I am a bit more confused now. Since I learned there are basic accuracy, special and tech.

I'm not at the Computer for some days but I believe the tooltipps doesn't explain what type it is.

Could you give me examples for those types, maybe by the dass oft a Sabo gunslinger?

I also read that kinetic and energy damage are reduced through the armor - like you wrote.

Does that mean all others do not be affected? Internal, elemental and whatever else is available?

Edited by Kjeldoran

I dont know if all specs have dirty blast.

But as far as I understand: mm uses charged burst,

sabo the thermal Grenade

and dirty fighter the dirty blast skill in their Rotation.

Edit: THX @ whojoo for the link.

Sadly I am a bit more confused now. Since I learned there are basic accuracy, special and tech.

I'm not at the Computer for some days but I believe the tooltipps doesn't explain what type it is.

Could you give me examples for those types, maybe by the dass oft a Sabo gunslinger?

EDIT: Only Dirty Fighting has Dirty Blast. Saboteur has Sabotage Charge and Sharpshooter as Aimed Shot. The latter 2 both use Charged Burst.

First of all, accuracy rating affects all types of accuracy. And accuracy affects them in exactly the same way.

So if you have 760 accuracy rating on lv60 then you get 9.02% accuracy on top of every type.

Now a basic thing about each accuracy:

Basic accuracy = Basic attack only (the thing that costs no energy and hits like a wet noodle)

Special accuracy = All attacks that give white numbers above the enemy's head (except for the basic attack)

Tech/Force accuracy = All attack that give white numbers above the enemy's head.

Special accuracy and Tech/Force both have a base value of 100%. Basic accuracy has a base value of 90%.

I also read that kinetic and energy damage are reduced through the armor - like you wrote.

Does that mean all others do not be affected? Internal, elemental and whatever else is available?

There are 4 attack types and 4 damage types.

The 4 attack types are:

Melee and Ranged (white numbers)

Force and Tech (yellow numbers)

The 4 damage types are.

Energy and Kinetic (sometimes called weapon damage) {affected by armor}

Elemental and Internal (ignores armor).

Energy and Kinetic can be both yellow and white numbers. An ability's tooltip will describe its damage type.

So short answer, yes :p

Edited by Whojoo

There are 4 attack types and 4 damage types.

The 4 attack types are:

Melee and Ranged (white numbers)

Force and Tech (yellow numbers)

The 4 damage types are.

Energy and Kinetic (sometimes called weapon damage) {affected by armor}

Elemental and Internal (ignores armor).

Energy and Kinetic can be both yellow and white numbers. An ability's tooltip will describe its damage type.

So short answer, yes :p

When they say 'weapon damage' it normally means that it does Energy/Kinetic damage and is Melee/Ranged.

Did you test Charged Burst in Sharpshooter spec? Charged Burst gets a lot of upgrades in Sharpshooter. Charged Burst in Sharpshooter and Dirty Blast should come out to be around the same.

The test of Charged Burst was in Dirty Fighting as that's where you have access to both Charged Burst and Dirty Blast.

The point of my test was to show that Dirty Blast is better than Charged Burst in that spec, so you should use the upgraded skill.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.