Any point to the 500+ grade 11 color crystals I have?

VulcanLogic

They make color dyes...

This.

Crafted weapon crystals are all but a thing of the past. Dye modules have replaced them. There are a number of them available through the trainer (some are actually pretty good looking...depending on the character and gear), and I all but guarantee that there will be more made available through reputation vendors.

This.

Crafted weapon crystals are all but a thing of the past. Dye modules have replaced them. There are a number of them available through the trainer (some are actually pretty good looking...depending on the character and gear), and I all but guarantee that there will be more made available through reputation vendors.

Indeed, yesterday I noticed a couple of dyes on the rishi rep vendor. I think one was blue/black, which could be a popular combo.

Right now, Grade 11 color crystals are pretty much worthless. They are used only in dyes, which (in RotHC) sold pretty well, and should start to sell well again shortly. There a lot of new dye colors, and a lot of them look like they would be popular.

The problem is that dyes also require one of the most expensive purple mats -- Treasure Hunting's Midlithe Crystal (midlife cryses, MLCs). Artifice can now craft very 186 Relics from vendor schematics (which it could not do in RotHC) and 186 Enhancements, both of which use two MLCs. The relics and enhancements are both BiS for 186 gear and are not available for purchase at the Basic Comm vendor, so will command a high price for quite a while.

Checking now (prices have already came down a bit since general access), MLCs are actually coming down to 100K each (I sold the first few I got at well over 200K each during early access). The enhancements are sellling at about 300K, and the relics start at 350K, so to make crafting dyes worth crafting over those items means you'd want to charge roughly 150K or more per dye -- or at least more than the 100+K you can make just selling the mats.

Given that dye crafting is an easier market to get into (just buy the schematic and start crafting, no need to RE green->blue->purple), I'd expect competition to be tighter.

But once more people get their Treasure Hunters working, MLC prices should drop enough to where making a dye won't be so obviously inferior to selling the mats or making relics and enhancements. It's just not at that point yet.

• 1 month later...
This.

Crafted weapon crystals are all but a thing of the past. Dye modules have replaced them.

Yeah, once you buy a lvl 10 hawkeye crystal from the GTN and then make it available to all your characters with a few cartel coins in collections, you are finished with crystals forever.

I think that sucks. Especially since a large number of cartel market crystal colors are discontinued and I don't like any of the currently available ones.

But at least for artificers, it "only" removed one of three main legs of the craft, unlike synthweavers and armor mechs which became completely obsolete with the tidalwave of cheap adaptive armor from the cartel market.

Adding augments later was a poor 'fix'...

As for the dyes crafted dyes will never match up to cartel market dyes, how else would they keep selling those 200 CC dye lottery boxes. I won't try it, but I do wonder how many of those you have to waste your money on before you get a black/black or white/white.