The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question: the clone army and Anakin's obvious affection for Padme

LtBombshell

Bad writing and a poor plot ruined the prequels for me for the most part. For me the Clone Army was the biggest plot hole in the story, there were a whole host of questions that should have been asked right off the bat and were ignored. Okay so this dead Jedi ordered the army, who did he pay for it? The Council wasn't involved and I doubt the Order even had the resources then to finance the building of an army, or arming of one, let alone building a fleet to move them about. Who contracted and paid for all the gear, who designed and built the ships, transports and combat craft? The Republic had disbanded the Army of the Republic over 1,000 years before, so there was no standing military with any standardized equipment outside of local defense forces apparently till certain factions like the Trade Federation starting covert arms build ups.

While the voice and dark humor can be annoying, this guy pretty much sums it up. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's interesting and totally irrelevant. You can compare queen elected Padme to actual human history all you want, the reason she was "elected" was poorly thought out writing. That's not even a stretch considering how bad the entire trilogy was. Its kind of funny that people bring that up as if it excuses Lucas for writing something so ridiculous. (ridiculous because he could have easily fixed it if he had put any effort into a script....or a plot. Or characters. You know, instead of cardboard cut out people and cartoony merchandising ideas.

And again.....Joe Average Movie goer isn't going to think "Yeah, just like the Holy Roman Empire!" they're going to think "Huh? But I thought she was queen? Huh?". My friend's 8 year old thought it was stupid.

I think the main point is that with all the bigger story and character issues with the prequels, nitpicking about an elected 'Queen' , which isn't actually unheard of in real life, is kind of missing the forest for the beetle crawling around in the roots of a single tree. :p

It wasn't really necessary, except that I guess Lucas thought the painted face and elaborate wardrobe would be cool, but I don't really even consider it an issue. Who actually cares if the Naboo decide to have an elected 'Queen' with a bunch of pomp and ceremony instead of a Prime Minister or President or whatever? It's just a title.

Edited by jovianus

I think the main point is that with all the bigger story and character issues with the prequels, nitpicking about an elected 'Queen' , which isn't actually unheard of in real life, is kind of missing the forest for the beetle crawling around in the roots of a single tree. :p

It wasn't really necessary, except that I guess Lucas thought the painted face and elaborate wardrobe would be cool, but I don't really even consider it an issue. Who actually cares if the Naboo decide to have an elected 'Queen' with a bunch of pomp and ceremony instead of a Prime Minister or President or whatever? It's just a title.

Hey, I agree, that its a minor nitpick. But its part of a larger problem. (that Lucas didn't really put any thought into the characters, plot or script). To be honest I was done thinking about it until someone mentioned another historical event which has nothing to do with the point.

But hell, I'll concede that Naboo elects a queen....so they elected a 14 year old as queen of the planet? Huh? It would have made more sense if it was hereditary. Again, you're right, it doesn't matter in the long run since nothing else makes any sense in the movie anyway.