The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Friday Community Stream with Towelliee

HillaryNicole

Hey everyone,

Here is more information regarding our special stream on Friday.

When: Friday 12/12/2014 at 1 PM CST

Where: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

Who: Towelliee

What: Watch as Toweliee takes on Revan in the new Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Expansion - Shadow of Revan. The new expansion, just launched this week, delivers 5 new levels of BioWare cinematic story-telling where players will face and fight the legendary Revan; formerly of KOTOR fame. In this stream, we will check out the new solo story missions, how it feels to fight with awesome Level 60 gear and explore the cool new worlds you’ll uncover in the expansion – Rishi, a pirate haven and the jungles of Yavin 4!

Thanks!

Hillary

Edited by HillaryNicole

I've got mixed feelings about this. While I am a big fan of Towelliee's livestream (watching it multiple times per week, especially the Sub Sunday show), I don't think he's the right person to represent SWTOR since he only plays it very rarely. Smaller streamers who only stream SWTOR would kill for such an opportunity. For sure, Towelliee has a large fanbase and is drawing many new players to the game, but his main MMO is and has always been WoW. I can't watch the stream live since I've got our progression raid at the same time, but I'll definitely watch the recording of it. :D Edited by Jerba

I've got mixed feelings about this. While I am a big fan of Towelliee's livestream (watching it multiple times per week, especially the Sub Sunday show), I don't think he's the right person to represent SWTOR since he only plays it very rarely. Smaller streamers who only stream SWTOR would kill for such an opportunity. For sure, Towelliee has a large fanbase and is drawing many new players to the game, but his main MMO is and has always been WoW. I can't watch the stream live since I've got our progression raid at the same time, but I'll definitely watch the recording of it. :D

Think publicity is a good idea

Edited by JDotter

I've got mixed feelings about this. While I am a big fan of Towelliee's livestream (watching it multiple times per week, especially the Sub Sunday show), I don't think he's the right person to represent SWTOR since he only plays it very rarely. Smaller streamers who only stream SWTOR would kill for such an opportunity. For sure, Towelliee has a large fanbase and is drawing many new players to the game, but his main MMO is and has always been WoW. I can't watch the stream live since I've got our progression raid at the same time, but I'll definitely watch the recording of it. :D

Yes I agree. I don't quiet understand why someone who doesn't play Swtor is apart of a swtor livestream. I'd rather see someone who actually plays the game be apart of something like this.

To be honest Towellie knows A LOT about Swtor for some reason. I saw his stream when he did the 12x XP-leveling in November and he answered every question he had from his 900-1500 viewers from the book. He had the same knowledge about the game, from a casual perspective, like any other player. He knwe what was going on for BioWare Austin and he knew most of what has been happening with Swtor for the last 3 years. He is also very well known on Twitch, and publicity on Twitch can only be a good thing for Swtor. People on Twitch are mostly active gamers themselves and to see Swtor up in the Top 15 viewed games can NEVER be a bad thing, it's good publicity. ;)

Well it's just marketing.

Didn't Musco say on Snave's interview that they can't promote streamers, fansites and podcasts that profit from their broadcasts / content?

Firstly, it's an insult to assume that the podcasts and streamers of SWTOR operate on a profit. Secondly, now instead of promoting one of these fansites they bring in a professional streamer, don't even get him to stream from the SWTOR channel but merely host his channel so he can profit from it more?

I'm all for marketting and advertising so get why this stream is what it is. But hopefully this is a change in direction and there is a healthy mix of pro-actively promoting their actual fan-base now and they promote some loyal SWTOR streams and podcasts.

But again, another back flip without explanation that just reduces the credibility of the CM team and further goes against their 'transparency' which they're all so proud of.

Didn't Musco say on Snave's interview that they can't promote streamers, fansites and podcasts that profit from their broadcasts / content?

Firstly, it's an insult to assume that the podcasts and streamers of SWTOR operate on a profit. Secondly, now instead of promoting one of these fansites they bring in a professional streamer, don't even get him to stream from the SWTOR channel but merely host his channel so he can profit from it more?

I'm all for marketting and advertising so get why this stream is what it is. But hopefully this is a change in direction and there is a healthy mix of pro-actively promoting their actual fan-base now and they promote some loyal SWTOR streams and podcasts.

But again, another back flip without explanation that just reduces the credibility of the CM team and further goes against their 'transparency' which they're all so proud of.

He actually said that it was possible but required "lengthy" vetting and legal requirements.

That being said a lot of the more popular streamers / podcasts have been screaming out for this type of assistance for literally years and received nothing. From a pure business stand point flying towlie's girlfriend out to bioware and having him stream the game is significantly better for exposure than simply promoting an existing streamer and I'm sure that if any of the current streamers / podcasters have any issues with this the CM team can give them some pet codes as that seems to be all it takes to get compliance.

For months I've suggested that the CM team host an integrated stream with someone who already has a fan base within the game to provide some more poignant content and this is 100% a step in the right direction. Hopefully we'll see Snickerr + Co attempt to boost Taint + Musco through some new end game content at some point in the future, or even that guy from Death and Taxes they flew out to Austin seeing as they probably have an existing relationship.

As for Towelie wanting to stream from his own channel, the guy does this for a living so unless they are going to pay him for theoretical loss of earnings it's better that just allow him to use it to try and grow his fan base. Hopefully he'll stream Swtor a bit more often because it's not really an endorsement when a streamer only plays your game if he's incentivised and then returns to WoW once that period is over.

Meh, Bring on Snave :rak_03:

I no longer enjoy playing operative so I'm in semi-retirement at the moment, other than the occasional stream (once per month maybe) I'm not really going to be active within the game. That being said, I was planning on streaming this Friday but I'll likely be too drunk to continue by the time they start.

Also can you imagine me on the official swtor stream? I'm not sure Musco appreciated me laughing at his answers for an hour last time he was with me.

Edited by snave

He actually said that it was possible but required "lengthy" vetting and legal requirements.

I think after you called him out for it by having Chill on the stream and he gave a specific case. Sorry, only speaking from memory and I'm sure you'd recall it better than I.

Agree with everything else. As I said, I understand the 'why' - Just hope the same effort goes into their established fan base aswell.

I would imagine if Towelliee started playing SWTOR full time he'd be put to the side with the rest of us? ;)

Edited by O_JohnnyBravo_O