The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So am I the only Star Wars fan who endorses Disney taking over?

AhsokaTanorules

Ever since Lucas sold Disney to Star Wars, my other Star Wars fan friends have been acting like it is the end of the world. I on the other hand think this will be good for the franchise.

Already Disney has gotten episodes 7-9 into motion (Lucas promised us this trilogy years ago but failed to deliver). Already I am betting money that I will enjoy Ep 7 over 2 and 3. And if the rumors are right, we are going to get even more movies than just those 3 (if all these rumors of a Yoda ,Boba Fett, and other character movies hold any salt).

I was skeptical but so far I am enjoying Star Wars Rebels. Yes I was upset when Clone wars ended but so far Rebels has been a somewhat decent replacement.

I was actually down at Disney World for Star Wars weekend earlier this year and met Ashley Eckstein (my handles VA) who seems pretty decent irl and seems to enjoy the place and it was cool meeting some of the characters. Met a real nice Ahsoka Tano cast member.

I for one think that Disney taking over Star Wars will lend this franchise an immortality and not only continue its existence for some time to come but perhaps ensure even more cool stuff like more movies for us amongst other things. They seemed to pretty much bring Muppets back from the dead.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since Lucas sold Disney to Star Wars, my other Star Wars fan friends have been acting like it is the end of the world. I on the other hand think this will be good for the franchise.

Already Disney has gotten episodes 7-9 into motion (Lucas promised us this trilogy years ago but failed to deliver). Already I am betting money that I will enjoy Ep 7 over 2 and 3. And if the rumors are right, we are going to get even more movies than just those 3 (if all these rumors of a Yoda ,Boba Fett, and other character movies hold any salt).

I was skeptical but so far I am enjoying Star Wars Rebels. Yes I was upset when Clone wars ended but so far Rebels has been a somewhat decent replacement.

I was actually down at Disney World for Star Wars weekend earlier this year and met Ashley Eckstein (my handles VA) who seems pretty decent irl and seems to enjoy the place and it was cool meeting some of the characters. Met a real nice Ahsoka Tano cast member.

I for one think that Disney taking over Star Wars will lend this franchise an immortality and not only continue its existence for some time to come but perhaps ensure even more cool stuff like more movies for us amongst other things. They seemed to pretty much bring Muppets back from the dead.

Considering their handling of Marvel, Ya I am all for it. Though I will always be cautiously optomistic about their TV series stuff. (Ultimate spiderman... Shudder) but so far they are doing good so I cant wait to see more. This is the perfect time for disney they are on a roll right now.

I think it's more positive, too.

Lucas is too old and doesn't have energy to make another trilogy, which Disney could do it. Without new movies, it's hard to keep influence among the new generation.

The post RotJ EU had many good works, but as a whole, it was a big mess, it will be good to get rid of many of them and save some good materials. But I'm not pleased when they made the Old Republic era stuff non canon.

George Lucas is a Star Wars fan without a doubt and he endorsed and sold it to Disney . Not only that but gave public reasons why he was happier with Disney gaining the ownership .

I think I myself am happy with it as much as you can be about a non creator gaining ownership over someone elses world.

I for one think that Disney taking over Star Wars will lend this franchise an immortality and not only continue its existence for some time to come but perhaps ensure even more cool stuff like more movies for us amongst other things.

Exactly.

Them taking over insures that Star Wars movies and the like will be around for a very long time. Ideal company to take over.

People get upset when discussing these things because they fail to understand how business actually works.

They all seem to think that Disney purchased SW to merge it with their existing Disney Princesses and Mickey Mouse things. In reality, that couldn't be further from the truth. You don't pay that much for something to ruin it. They purchased SW with every intention of retaining the fanbase and making it more profitable. In that aspect, they have succeeded like nobody else could have.

So yes, I am in favor of this.

To date, there have only been two moves by Disney that I am not a fan of (and even then, one is a move I completely understand and considered inevitable from the moment they announced the acquisition):

1. Discontinuing what is now known as the "Legends" continuity, instead of keeping it as a separate Alternate Universe as Marvel does with their "Mainstream" and "Ultimate" universes.
  2. Ending the licensing agreement with Dark Horse Comics, who put out some of the best SW fiction of the past 20 years (although as I said, this was completely inevitable since Disney owns Marvel).

Even as a huge Legends fan, I have no problem with them setting the upcoming movies and even the new TV show in a separate continuity. New blockbuster movies are a far, far bigger money-maker (both directly and indirectly) for the company than even scores of books or comics would be, so it makes sense to give these new movies the creative freedom to be as successful as possible without being 'weighed down' by decades of EU material that most fans would be unfamiliar with.

One other thing I am a bit wary of though, is the word that they are aiming to put out something like one new SW movie a year (with one-shot movies like a Han Solo or Boba Fett movie in between the "Episode [__]" tent-poles). This is a concern I have about the Marvel movies as well: that we're going to see such a glut of movies that the brand may get watered down/unwieldy and potentially either collapse under its own weight and/or lose all sense of being an 'event' when one comes out.

Beyond that, there are three things that have me fairly optimistic about the future of SW under Disney:

1) Their handling of the Marvel brand: I think they've done an excellent job with that property. I'm not sure if behind the scenes it was due to a hands-off approach or due to putting the right people in the right roles, but the product has been solid especially with respect to the movies (setting aside my trepidation about over-saturating the market).

2) They've demonstrated an impressive degree of self-awareness and responsiveness in their own brand: movies like Frozen and Maleficent and their Once Upon a Time series have all shown that Disney knows how to continue to put out products that are still fundamentally "true" to their brand, while at the same time showing an understanding of the unfortunate "baggage" the brand may have developed, and an ability to move beyond that. They've shown that they know how to say "let's keep what works, and evolve past what doesn't" and I think that sort of self-awareness will be very beneficial in handling the Star Wars IP.

3) They're bringing in a lot of great talent: Greg Weisman, lead writer for Rebels, is a phenomenal cartoon writer (Gargoyles!) and keeping on Dave Filoni and others from The Clone Wars will probably bring the best element of that show on into the new series. At the same time Amy Hennig, one of my favorite video game writers (Legacy of Kain!) has been brought on for the upcoming open-world SW game (that particular hire may have been an EA decision more than a Disney choice, but either way points to a promising future for the franchise).

I am truly disappointed that the Legends continuity has been effectively discontinued, and I expect for a long time I will be a bigger fan of that timeline than of the Canon being created now, but I do think the new Canon is going to be a solid, even great continuity for the SW franchise.

Edited by DarthDymond

To date, there have only been two moves by Disney that I am not a fan of (and even then, one is a move I completely understand and considered inevitable from the moment they announced the acquisition):

1. [*]Discontinuing what is now known as the "Legends" continuity, instead of keeping it as a separate Alternate Universe as Marvel does with their "Mainstream" and "Ultimate" universes.

No, no, I don't support parallel universe, it's going to create bigger mess. Star Wars is awesome partly because it doesn't have such ****.

No, no, I don't support parallel universe, it's going to create bigger mess. Star Wars is awesome partly because it doesn't have such ****.

As long as they're clearly distinguished (which the "Legends" label would accomplish) and there are no 'cross over' events or BS like that, I don't see that as a "mess".

I certainly wouldn't want to see the two Universe's interacting or anything like that. But I do think there were good stories to be told (and money to be made) in continuing the stories of Jaina, Ben Skywalker, and Vestara Khai, not to mention the worlds created in the Legends Old Republic and Legacy eras.

Edited by DarthDymond

3) They're bringing in a lot of great talent: Greg Weisman, lead writer for Rebels, is a phenomenal cartoon writer (Gargoyles!) .

Woa, woa woa...Greg Weisman is coming back? Does this mean a Gargoyles rebirth?? I remember collecting the comic books he tries to use to rebirth the series a few years back. Would be awesome if those got picked up again.

Woa, woa woa...Greg Weisman is coming back? Does this mean a Gargoyles rebirth?? I remember collecting the comic books he tries to use to rebirth the series a few years back. Would be awesome if those got picked up again.

I would imagine he's a bit busy show-running Rebels at the moment, but it would be nice if this collaboration with Disney led to things like that down the line.

As long as they're clearly distinguished (which the "Legends" label would accomplish) and there are no 'cross over' events or BS like that, I don't see that as a "mess".

I certainly wouldn't want to see the two Universe's interacting or anything like that. But I do think there were good stories to be told (and money to be made) in continuing the stories of Jaina, Ben Skywalker, and Vestara Khai, not to mention the worlds created in the Legends Old Republic and Legacy eras.

Trust me, as long as parallel universe is created, all these **** will happen in a matter of time. No, just no.

I am of the opinion that assuming by qualifications alone that Disney, and everyone else involved in the new Star Wars, will make Star Wars great, is a fallacy. Time and time again even the most over-qualified of people somehow manage to screw it up. I've since stopped expecting great things from great names, because they don't always deliver.

And really in so far, Disney haven't given me that much to be optimist about their new regime:

1. Cancelling TCW just as it was peaking, and replacing it with a substandard series with a crappy budget which in so far, hasn't lived up to the hype, again despite its "awesome" team.

2. Deciding to make spin-offs along with the new trilogy. This is something I really dislike, Star Wars is not something you hand over to any old director and proceed to mass produce, I am not expecting much.

3. The teaser trailer was not particularly impressive, and I very much dislike the crossguard lightsaber.

Given that, my opinions of the Disney regime are pretty low right now, and I'm not about to let their past achievements make me optimistic, In fact I am not at all a fan of the Marvel Universe (though I know many are), I think it dispenses quality and for the sake of quantity and I really haven't much enjoyed any one of their movies.

So the fact that Star Wars planned to follow the same path doesn't make me optimistic.

However one move I have liked is how they treated the EU, Legends was a great way, if perhaps not the greatest way, of going about it. And I am very much thankful they decided against an alternative universe, which would have been a disaster. Sure their has been fallout, but more important they'd secured the EU (or whatever) of the future.

All in all taking the wait and see approach i.e. waiting to see something good.

P.S. Greg Weisman is leaving Rebels I'm afraid after Season 1, or rather he's already left.

Edited by Beniboybling

The post RotJ EU had many good works, but as a whole, it was a big mess, it will be good to get rid of many of them and save some good materials. But I'm not pleased when they made the Old Republic era stuff non canon.
Legends =/= Non-canon in the respect that it is still relevant, and BioWare have said they work closely with the Story Group. I think its only a matter of time before they develop on the era and bring it into the fold.

Legends =/= Non-canon in the respect that it is still relevant, and BioWare have said they work closely with the Story Group. I think its only a matter of time before they develop on the era and bring it into the fold.

This. That's the whole point of the "Tag." they even went on record to say that the reason they went with the term "Legends" is because sometimes "Legends" is different from reality. They basically stated that they may draw from stuff in "Legends" but it may not come out the same way as it did from the Legends sources. They were actively pulling things out of the "Legends" material for rebels. They even alluded to the Lightsaber forms being canon now.

This. That's the whole point of the "Tag." they even went on record to say that the reason they went with the term "Legends" is because sometimes "Legends" is different from reality. They basically stated that they may draw from stuff in "Legends" but it may not come out the same way as it did from the Legends sources. They were actively pulling things out of the "Legends" material for rebels. They even alluded to the Lightsaber forms being canon now.
That's why I think its the best possible system. And now with every piece of future Star Wars material being canon (proper gospel canon) more and more Legends material is going to be safeguarded for the future.

I am not a fan of Rebels myself , try to watch it with my son who I was joyfully watching CW with . To me , it might not be the show at all , but the missing of CW .

But I always had a issue with how short CW was . Literally as soon as you get all hyped up , the show is over and you have to wait till next week .

I do not think Rebels is bad , just maybe not dark enough or maybe it has a smaller budget .

To me this might be a error from Disney but it is not due to the fact that they don't have the money to throw at it ......

As for the Legends deal . According to George Lucas , the EU was a nonfactor anyways . Atleast now in Disney's hands , we might see more legends become Canon .

George Lucas looked at things as what would favor his ideas and movies , Disney will look at things as what will boost StarWars and make the fans happy .

In the end Disney wants to Profit from Star Wars and the only way to do that is build on the fan base and make the current ones happier ............................................. Althought I myself have come done to the conclusion that the core StarWars extremist will never be happy and are always like crying little gurls when it comes to changes unless it benefits their characters and wants .

I often feel like some people would love to see Star Wars burn and end just so nothing new can ever come from it .

Myself enjoy the Marvel movies , heck the only thing from Marvel I hate right now is Fox treatment of X-men which is mind-blowingly out of control and does not even keep up with it's own stories .

Maybe George should have sold it to FOX , then you guys would have something real to be upset about .

EDIT: I think people are to critical of the teaser trailer .

The Cross Guard seems more real then a Light Whip ........nothing new to SW by far.

It had a Dark feeling to it .

It gave away small clues , a taste without giving away the whole story like most trailers .

To be honest Disney should have shown a scene of Luke with a Lightsaber and every Fanboy would have to change his pants .

Edited by mefit

I endorse it as well. But more of my own giddy desires. Let's just say that in Hollywood Studios, Star Wars is going to be invading it, taking over about 35% of the park with new rides and such. Aaaannddd there will be flying x-wing & TIE fighter drones above your head while you walk around. They're doing the same thing for the Avatar park in Animal Kingdom: flying Dragon drones.

The joys of knowing an insider ;)

Myself enjoy the Marvel movies , heck the only thing from Marvel I hate right now is Fox treatment of X-men which is mind-blowingly out of control and does not even keep up with it's own stories .
I too was disappointed with the new movie.

However, playing the "Disney wants to make its viewers happy" card is all well and good, but popularity does not always equal quality, in fact is it so often the opposite in the movie industry where many flawed movies sell well. Indeed, poor quality entertainment and attempting to please your audience/sell a product are pretty closely linked.

And just because Disney has good intentions, doesn't mean they will deliver. Everyone wants to make their fans happy.

often feel like some people would love to see Star Wars burn and end just so nothing new can ever come from it .
Continuing to be the voice of pessimism, I'd rather no Star Wars than bad Star Wars... maybe. :D Edited by Beniboybling

This sums up many of the lord of the rings fans too.

I think it often sums up the current world of Movies to begin with but StarWars fans were like this before anyone else .

PT reaction , heck just the reaction to EP1 is more than enough proof how how over zealot SW fans can get .

I was not happy with Jar Jar but I seen that coming with all the George Lucas edits into the OT over the years before it .

If you love something , you try to adjust and take it for what it is .

I endorse it as well. But more of my own giddy desires. Let's just say that in Hollywood Studios, Star Wars is going to be invading it, taking over about 35% of the park with new rides and such. Aaaannddd there will be flying x-wing & TIE fighter drones above your head while you walk around. They're doing the same thing for the Avatar park in Animal Kingdom: flying Dragon drones.

The joys of knowing an insider ;)

Its not fair, all the cool stuff is in America. :(

Sheesh did Greg Weisman get into another fight with Disney again? I heard he had major creative differences with Disney which led to the demise of Gargoyles and that the fnal televised season of Gargoyles, the Goliath Chronicles had nothing to do with his work. I was stoked when he was trying to revive it via comics and I did see his ideas (i.e. Pendragon and 2198) at his site. He does strike me as very creative but perhaps egotistical though on the other hand if Disney isn't going to use a marvelous product (i.e. Gargoyles or Atlantis) then they might as well let someone else use it.

As for EU, was never a giant fan. I stopped reading it after that whle boring Han Solo's evil brother arc. I did dig Mara Jade (my very first favorite Star Wars character), heard the Yuuzhan Vong story was interesting but thought bringng back the evil Empire in Cade Skywalker's time was pointless and defeated the whole purpose of ROTJ.

Disney has done fine with Marvel unless you count the debacle of Iron Man 3.

I too was disappointed with the new movie.

However, playing the "Disney wants to make its viewers happy" card is all well and good, but popularity does not always equal quality, in fact is it so often the opposite in the movie industry where many flawed movies sell well. Indeed, poor quality entertainment and attempting to please your audience/sell a product are pretty closely linked.

And just because Disney has good intentions, doesn't mean they will deliver. Everyone wants to make their fans happy.Continuing to be the voice of pessimism, I'd rather no Star Wars than bad Star Wars... maybe. :D

Popularity does not equal quality ? Beni , I use to agree with a lot of things you said , but what you just said is overly said by anyone who gets upset with the Marvel movies and cannot separate the Movies from the books and comics.

Unlike StarWars , Marvel movies are not the top Canon and matter less . My best friend gets his panties into a twist everytime a Marvel movie comes out .

The movies I find are good , the problem is not the quality of movies , it is how times are changing and how the newer generation of film makers view things has changed .

Example :

Music changes every 10years

Those who were in the last generation are always critical of the newer generation's music .

Kinda like me and MMOs .

I view Casual MMOs as less Quality than old fashion slow paced grind your life away MMOs of the late 90's mid 2000s .

Currently everything is made for those who have less patience and time to sit still .

Movies use to cost less than 10m to make and now are going beyond 200m .

Because movies are that SW fits into are more of a rollercoaster and every film has to give you that weak feeling in your legs when you hit the top and are rushing down .

You cannot blame Marvel or Disney for this , they have to follow it or they will go under .

So sadly , popularity equals quality at this point in time , heck every point in time .

I loved the Movie Dune , been waiting for a sequel to follow the movie and not the books like Syfy tried .

They tried to make a QUALITY Film and it was not that good at all .

JJ Abrams made a fast pace Star Trek and the extreme fan base hated it but it likely brought more fans to the series than any other movie . That means more people buying the books and shows old and new .

Overall he provided something better for the series , he provided it will a newer base to spend money into it and keep it going .

How is that bad ? If you love something you adjust .

Abrams from the story George gave him and the ideas that likely birthed the Cross Guard , will most likely birth more fans to the series and give new life to Books , Games , Comics , Shows , and other Movies .

Giving us who love Star Wars more material to dive our minds into and a continue to keep a living world going for us all.