PvE healer commando?

Gracklewolf

I'm running a combat medic now using a high presence HK-51 as my companion. Currently at level 27, HK lays waste to pretty much everything. Even used him to tank Athiss a couple of times when our group's tank dropped. He did better than the real life tank imo.

Running a heal spec commando is no problem with a well geared dps companion.

Edited by tharbison

I use Tanno most of the times. If he's well equiped he's a great tank, and a tank is what I need :) Combat medic has very good dps and other companions can't hold agro of me. There is a tank robot of course, but It's easier to obtain a tank gear for Tanno, then for M1-4X, especially on low levels. Besides, a mele tank is more conviniet, imo. He jumps forward and grab agro, so I can use aoe pretty much from the start.

And as for the spec: T1-Charged barrier, Chain gunnery, Tenacious defense

T2-Efficient conversions and Combat shield.

T3- Reflexife shiled and Shock absorbers

It is disputable ofcourse, but I prefer survivability to something else.

Has anyone tried a healer commando build for PvE? Just curious how it worked out. What companion did you use? Tanno Vik? Yuun? 4X? Is it even plausible to do most of your damage through a companion?

For PVE I use Tanno Vik, before him I used M1-4X.

But for FPs and OPS, even if you're specced Medic, don't go trying to play healer, you'll mess your team over. Despite the buffs to heals, it is still more of a secondary, vs primary role to fill in comparison to the operative healers.

Pre-3.0 I levelled up my Commando in heal spec with no problems. Never even geared any of my companions up (and boy was it hard to get through SoR as a healer with badly geared companions... lots of kiting). I think Tharbison's reply is most relevant to your question as they seem to be levelling as a heal-specced commando in 3.0 right now, and I would agree that with a well-geared companion you should be okay.

But for FPs and OPS, even if you're specced Medic, don't go trying to play healer, you'll mess your team over. Despite the buffs to heals, it is still more of a secondary, vs primary role to fill in comparison to the operative healers.

Thanks for the laugh. I've dragged all three of my Republic healer classes all the way through The Ravagers (and my Mando heals through all of ToS as well) and I think they are all better balanced now and all viable (even double Sage- I guess it was only SM though). I'm maining Mando heals at the moment and I did my fair share of tank-saving and miracle-making along with my co-healer.

Pre-3.0 I levelled up my Commando in heal spec with no problems. Never even geared any of my companions up (and boy was it hard to get through SoR as a healer with badly geared companions... lots of kiting). I think Tharbison's reply is most relevant to your question as they seem to be levelling as a heal-specced commando in 3.0 right now, and I would agree that with a well-geared companion you should be okay.

Thanks for the laugh. I've dragged all three of my Republic healer classes all the way through The Ravagers (and my Mando heals through all of ToS as well) and I think they are all better balanced now and all viable (even double Sage- I guess it was only SM though). I'm maining Mando heals at the moment and I did my fair share of tank-saving and miracle-making along with my co-healer.

Why would you do that to a PUG? Dude, that's like taking a Marauder and pretending it's a Tank. :(

I just take advantage of field respec. Soloing? Dps mode bring Dorne (with a good gun her dps isn't to shabby either and her CC helps too). Queue for a FP and get heals?..."one sec peeps, need to respec." That said for giggles I decided to stay heals with Dorne after reading this thread...currently lvl 40. Stuff still dies pretty quick. You aren't melting things but you don't feel slow like molasses either.