The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I don't understand Dulfy's AP "Rotation" guide

LtBombshell

The first thing I don't understand is why Explosive Dart is not used in the single target rotation. It deals 50% more damage, has a reduced cooldown, and refreshes Retractable Blade's bleed. Why not use it in the single target rotation?

The second thing I don't understand is the "rotation" listed. I say "rotation" because there is no rotation actually given. Just a priority list: RB, TD, RP, TD. How can we use TD 4.5 seconds apart if it has a 15 second cooldown? Or am I misunderstanding the picture posted?

The third and probably most minor point is the inclusion of Full Auto in the rotation. Does this seem a little weird to anyone? Maybe this is just due to my inexperience with the class.

Also, I realize that this is technically already being discussed in another thread, but this way there is one thread dedicated solely to the AP rotation.

The first thing I don't understand is why Explosive Dart is not used in the single target rotation. It deals 50% more damage, has a reduced cooldown, and refreshes Retractable Blade's bleed. Why not use it in the single target rotation?

The second thing I don't understand is the "rotation" listed. I say "rotation" because there is no rotation actually given. Just a priority list: RB, TD, RP, TD. How can we use TD 4.5 seconds apart if it has a 15 second cooldown? Or am I misunderstanding the picture posted?

The third and probably most minor point is the inclusion of Full Auto in the rotation. Does this seem a little weird to anyone? Maybe this is just due to my inexperience with the class.

Also, I realize that this is technically already being discussed in another thread, but this way there is one thread dedicated solely to the AP rotation.

Blame me for the priority list.

First off, the lack of Explosive Dart. It doesn't have a surge boost, and does ~80% of the damage of a Magnetic Blast. You use it if you are stuck >15 meters away, but other than that Mag Blast is better.

Basically, as you go into each GCD, look at what abilities are available. Now compare it to the list.

The higher on the list, the more you would prioritize it.

So, for example, lets say you have RP off cooldown, TD 1.5 seconds from going off cooldown, a bleed on the target, you have just used rail shot, and you have 4 stacks of energy lodes.

Going through the priority list, you would go:

GCD 1: It says check if a bleed is on. It is. Whats next? Rocket punch. You're rocket punch is available, so you use it.

GCD 2: If you have TD available, use it. Thats first priority. Since it is now off cooldown, you would use it.

GCD 3: You have to use either Rocket Punch or Mag Blast here to proc Rail Shot (despite having 4 energy lodes). As such, in this cooldown you would use Mag Blast, as Rocket Punch is not available

GCD 4: You have 4 stacks of energy lodes, which is a higher priority right now than Rail Shot. So you would use Energy Burst in this cooldown, which then causes the next ability to be rail shot!

I did provide a video as well to help understand it better.

Edited by TACeMossie

Blame me for the priority list.

First off, the lack of Explosive Dart. It doesn't have a surge boost, and does ~80% of the damage of a Magnetic Blast. You use it if you are stuck >15 meters away, but other than that Mag Blast is better.

Basically, as you go into each GCD, look at what abilities are available. Now compare it to the list.

The higher on the list, the more you would prioritize it.

So, for example, lets say you have RP off cooldown, TD 1.5 seconds from going off cooldown, a bleed on the target, you have just used rail shot, and you have 4 stacks of energy lodes.

Going through the priority list, you would go:

GCD 1: It says check if a bleed is on. It is. Whats next? Rocket punch. You're rocket punch is available, so you use it.

GCD 2: If you have TD available, use it. Thats first priority. Since it is now off cooldown, you would use it.

GCD 3: You have to use either Rocket Punch or Mag Blast here to proc Rail Shot (despite having 4 energy lodes). As such, in this cooldown you would use Mag Blast, as Rocket Punch is not available

GCD 4: You have 4 stacks of energy lodes, which is a higher priority right now than Rail Shot. So you would use Energy Burst in this cooldown, which then causes the next ability to be rail shot!

I did provide a video as well to help understand it better.

Okay, thank you so much, that makes much more sense now. I still have one quesiton: on GCD #3, why use RP or MB rather than EB if we already have 4 lodes?

Okay, thank you so much, that makes much more sense now. I still have one quesiton: on GCD #3, why use RP or MB rather than EB if we already have 4 lodes?

GCD #3 is the one which will proc Rail Shot. As such, it will only ever be RP, MB or ED (ED in AoE only)