Co-op characters

PadsterPwns

So, my sister is going to start playing swtor as a jedi sage and as this being her first mmo I'm going to partner with her. However I can't decide what class I should play. She's going as a healer (Do you guys think this is easy enough?) so should I go as a dps or a tank and which advanced class? She also said that if possible she wants me to be able to help with class missions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Can I play with? ;)

Heh, just pick whatever you want. Since she is healer you won't have any problem finding groups. Pick something fresh and fun and new for you, but, do NOT pick the same class or you'll have to do all the class stuff twice. All classes can help each other with class stuff, so don't worry about that. If you want to mainly group, going tank might be nice since you'll be able to coordinate better and get good practice at your roles so you won't have to worry about having bad tanks or heals in instances, but if you want to quest or pvp more go DPS. You can't make a wrong decision in duoing.

Can I play with? ;)

Heh, just pick whatever you want. Since she is healer you won't have any problem finding groups. Pick something fresh and fun and new for you, but, do NOT pick the same class or you'll have to do all the class stuff twice. All classes can help each other with class stuff, so don't worry about that. If you want to mainly group, going tank might be nice since you'll be able to coordinate better and get good practice at your roles so you won't have to worry about having bad tanks or heals in instances, but if you want to quest or pvp more go DPS. You can't make a wrong decision in duoing.

Depends on how you mean ;)

Thanks for the advice, that limits it down to sentinel or commando, what do you think?

Sentinel would start on the same planet, so that's a plus. I've heard the trooper has a pretty boring storyline though. I've only gotten to like level four with one, no cool dialogue options. Commando gets some healing of its own though and wears heavy armour. I've never really played republic but sentinel would probably be my choice between those two. Both classes have pretty cool companions. (Man I get screwed as imperial agent.)

Have fun!

Sentinel would start on the same planet, so that's a plus. I've heard the trooper has a pretty boring storyline though. I've only gotten to like level four with one, no cool dialogue options. Commando gets some healing of its own though and wears heavy armour. I've never really played republic but sentinel would probably be my choice between those two. Both classes have pretty cool companions. (Man I get screwed as imperial agent.)

Have fun!

Yeah sent would be good but my main is a mara so the play style could get boring and I've already done the jk story. Also lol about the agent, it's the one reason I've never got past nar shadarr, damn you Kaliyo!

If you already have a Mara, I would say go Commando! If you go Gunnery, you can get an instant cast self heal after firing off 5 grav rounds. The heal is actually pretty decent amount considering you're DPS. Also, you'll have a HOT. The HOT isn't that great, but it would help relieve some of the burden from your sister as healing can be pretty frustrating at some parts. Such as, the start of HS. And, you don't have to switch cells as a Commando to use that heal beam.

The downside though if you'll start on a different planet than her, but you already know that.

Edited by SkyCakeLight

If you already have a Mara, I would say go Commando! If you go Gunnery, you can get an instant cast self heal after firing off 5 grav rounds. The heal is actually pretty decent amount considering you're DPS. Also, you'll have a HOT. The HOT isn't that great, but it would help relieve some of the burden from your sister as healing can be pretty frustrating at some parts. Such as, the start of HS. And, you don't have to switch cells as a Commando to use that heal beam.

The downside though if you'll start on a different planet than her, but you already know that.

Nice, thanks for the advice, didn't know about the HOT heal! What is the new mechanic like?

Actually what about vanguard vs commando?

Vanguard is a lot of fun!

As a DPS Vangaurd, you could use your grapple to pull enemies away from sis, and you'll have a single target taunt. If you're DPS, your AOE taunt will actually lower your threat. But, if you go the Tank route, you'll also have the AOE taunt on top of your other taunt and grapple.

Both classes have hard hitting channels, which I personally think is something worth noting. The channels are part of your DPS, but if you don't like standing still for the duration...

Both classes bring great utility to a group! Vanguard brings the taunts, and Commando the heals. You'll already have heals with a healing sage. But, you won't really need taunts with a healer and an off healer. But, if you were a tanking VG, your flashpoint queue's would pretty much be instant!

Personally, both classes are a lot of fun. The DPS VG is a bit more "involved" since you need to be pretty close for a lot of your skills, which I enjoy. I don't know if this made it easier, or harder! They both bring usefulness, just in different forms.

Nice, thanks for the advice, didn't know about the HOT heal! What is the new mechanic like?

The instant heal? Each time you use Grav Round (which, is often), you're next bacta infusion cast time is reduced. After 5 shots, it's instant and only resets the GCD. The HOT doesn't heal for a lot, but it's instant cast and has a short CD. So, while firing your giant cannon, every now and then you could throw out your HOT if needed. And, with Commando, you'll have more "oh snap!" moment keys. Like, using your cyro grenade of your push back. This way, you can peel off the healer in an easier fashion!

And, I do kind agree with the dialogue. A lot of the time, she (my trooper) just says a few words. It's very fitting, though. Basically, she talks like a normal military person would in Star Wars. "I need you to do this and this and that." The general tells me. Your response? "Yes ma'am!" Boom, done with conversation. Of course, there's more flavor to it than that, but that's how a lot of my light side conversation goes!

Edit: I actually find the trooper's dialogue kind of funny. Like, on Taris, the refugees come up to me and spill their plea for me to go get their stuff, sob story included! My trooper's response, "Alright, I'll do it" Woman of few words! Makes me laugh, sometimes.

Edited by SkyCakeLight

The instant heal? Each time you use Grav Round (which, is often), you're next bacta infusion cast time is reduced. After 5 shots, it's instant and only resets the GCD. The HOT doesn't heal for a lot, but it's instant cast and has a short CD. So, while firing your giant cannon, every now and then you could throw out your HOT if needed. And, with Commando, you'll have more "oh snap!" moment keys. Like, using your cyro grenade of your push back. This way, you can peel off the healer in an easier fashion!

And, I do kind agree with the dialogue. A lot of the time, she (my trooper) just says a few words. It's very fitting, though. Basically, she talks like a normal military person would in Star Wars. "I need you to do this and this and that." The general tells me. Your response? "Yes ma'am!" Boom, done with conversation. Of course, there's more flavor to it than that, but that's how a lot of my light side conversation goes!

Edit: I actually find the trooper's dialogue kind of funny. Like, on Taris, the refugees come up to me and spill their plea for me to go get their stuff, sob story included! My trooper's response, "Alright, I'll do it" Woman of few words! Makes me laugh, sometimes.

Thanks for both of your responses, Vanguard it is! What do you think about body type and gender? Also so true about the dialogue, I remember a trooper I had where all the responses in an entire conversation with an npc was "I'll get it done", I swear Jorgon talks more than the trooper

Thanks for both of your responses, Vanguard it is! What do you think about body type and gender? Also so true about the dialogue, I remember a trooper I had where all the responses in an entire conversation with an npc was "I'll get it done", I swear Jorgon talks more than the trooper

I've never played a male character before, so I can't really compare the two. But!! My female is body type 2, I think it fits her very well. She looks fit under her armor, like she has military training and eats healthy.

I think it would be neat if you were a male, though. Only because I assume your sis will be a female. Then, you can be the brother-sister duo in game, too! Or, she can play male and you play female. That would be a neat twist!

I've never played a male character before, so I can't really compare the two. But!! My female is body type 2, I think it fits her very well. She looks fit under her armor, like she has military training and eats healthy.

I think it would be neat if you were a male, though. Only because I assume your sis will be a female. Then, you can be the brother-sister duo in game, too! Or, she can play male and you play female. That would be a neat twist!

Yeah that would be cool, I'd also look like a clone which I have wanted for ages... The male voice is good too, I'm not a massive fan of Hale. I agree with body type 2, 3 is too big (except on my mara that works strangely well) and it makes the heads look weird. Thanks for the advice!

Edited by PadsterPwns