The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Lana and Theron and the player and oh my!!!

Darth__Reaver

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

characters spend months hiding out together! - that must mean they never talk! >_>

Again, who said they never talked?

(Also, != means "does not equal".)

"Lana and Theron! I bet they did! They're two characters who once talked to each other! And they stopped getting along! So they must have!"

Nothing will make me lose respect for a fandom faster than this sort of halfwit "shipping".

You realize that I'm making fun of shippers there, right?

And that my next post was clarifying that "who once talked to each other" does not mean the same thing as "who talked to each other once", right?

something to note. bioware tends to change a few things, once you initiate romance.

she doesn't think she could let her guard down..... and TELL THERON THAT SHE DOES FEEL SAD AND PAIN AT LOOSING HIS TRUST.

Oh, well, of course that means they banged, then... :rolleyes:

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Again, who said they never talked?

(Also, != means "does not equal".)

You realize that I'm making fun of shippers there, right?

And that my next post was clarifying that "who once talked to each other" does not mean the same thing as "who talked to each other once", right?

Oh, well, of course that means they banged, then... :rolleyes:

yeah, you are not tap dancing your way out of that one.

I don't give a damn about hypothetical shippers. we are talking about possibility of a specific relationship that may have happened. or may not have.

what bugs me is people who do the opposite of "shippers" and essentially go "we never saw it - ergo it couldn't have happened, no way, no how. up to an including deliberately and selectively cropping quotes.

Theran and Lana obviously have come to care for one another, at least to some degree - despite each being loyal to organizations that are mortal enemies, they managed to put that aside - even before they had to go into hiding. whether it was friendship or something more? is open to interpretation. WHICH IS THE WHOLE POINT. there is no certainty here, this is not a situation you are "making fun of" - these characters knew each other - worked closely together for some time, have come to trust one another. there isn't even changing of sexuality here, give that they are both bi.

and yet you are acting as if people who see a potential there, based on actual interactions that are at least of the mutual respect variety - are like people who ... ship Alistair and Morrigan in DAO.

get of your high horse, dear.

It is a work of fiction.

If an event or act is not shown to the audience (reader/player/viewer/whatever) through events depicted directly, or related indirectly by characters or other sources within the work of fiction, it never happened.

Audience speculation counts for nothing and is meaningless.

As for shippers, they might as well all be of the Harry/Draco sort.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

It is a work of fiction.

If an event or act is not shown to the audience (reader/player/viewer/whatever) through events depicted directly, or related indirectly by characters or other sources within the work of fiction, it never happened.

Yes, it's a work of fiction, but that doesn't mean it isn't up for people to interpret it in their own way. Just because you physically and personally don't see a thing, doesn't mean there is no possibility of it having happened (Just look at the FTB scenes with our PC's and their companions, plenty happens there that we don't see, like doing the sexxxy strut and ending up in the bedroom...did we play sabacc? or make out, it's up to you, but something happened). This is a discussion of possibilities. You don't think it was possible, that's your interpretation, and that's fine, but some people like myself, think that it's entirely possible given the nuances in dialogue and looks/behavior between the characters that it could.

Another thing that is bothering me, is that some people are delighting in making fun of shippers. There is nothing wrong with shipping characters. Also, just because one sees the possibility that a relationship, no matter how brief existed between people, doesn't make them a shipper. I'm not shipping 'Lana and Theron' I just think that there is the possibility that something could have, and did happen between them briefly. A true shipper is rooting for that relationship, and hoping it will work out. I don't count as a shipper for Lana and Theron because I DON'T want to see them work out and live HEA. But I do ship other relationships in the game, and of course in other genres. It's fun for me to explore possibilties.

The OP, maybe counts as a shipper, it seems like they're rooting for the 'LanRon' ship...and that's fine, if they like the idea. Maybe they'll write us some fanfic. :)

PS. I ship Harry and Hermione. ;)

Edited by Lunafox

It is a work of fiction.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfTheAuthor

also, I think you really should get off that high horse dear. it seems to be so high that lack of oxygen is affecting your brain function.

P.S. are you one of those people that had to hear it directly from creators, despite all the evidence in source material itself - that Korra and Asami ARE indeed in a relationship?

the funny part is... in general, I'm not a fan of shippers, especially those that seem to pair up characters for the sake of pairing them up and source material be damned. but you... you are taking it to a whole other level.

Edited by Jeweledleah

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathOfTheAuthor

also, I think you really should get off that high horse dear. it seems to be so high that lack of oxygen is affecting your brain function.

P.S. are you one of those people that had to hear it directly from creators, despite all the evidence in source material itself - that Korra and Asami ARE indeed in a relationship?

the funny part is... in general, I'm not a fan of shippers, especially those that seem to pair up characters for the sake of pairing them up and source material be damned. but you... you are taking it to a whole other level.

"Death of the Author" and the related New Criticism are bunko, but thanks.

Funny you should mention Korra and Assami, I've been having an ongoing discussion about LOK and ATLA with someone on another forum -- if you've watched the entire run of both ATLA and LOK, then the parallels between the final scene with previous visual storytelling, combined with their established on-screen relationship, hinted strongly at a post-conclusion romantic involvement, and it was entirely reasonable to conclude that that's where the authors were pointing, as long as one left open the other possibilities until the authorial statement had been made. But that's because it was actually implied by what was shown and told within the work.

Shipping, on the other hand, consists of about 95% audience inference.

It is a work of fiction.

Shipping is generally pure fanfiction. Fan-fiction, the work of a fan at least loosely based on a work usually written by another. Of course it's speculation and meaningless.

It's about as meaningful as contemplating the genetics required for cross breeding alieans to humans.

Or, y'know, contemplating why people enjoy thinking up such things as shippings.

When I heard the relation from Avatar about Korra and Asami 5 minutes ago I just became so happy for some reason. I suspected something in the last episode but after seeing a review from someone that they presented the importance if friendship it made me sad :(. But now I am happy.

As I said before while I doubt that they did the deed I would not be surprised that Lana and Theron actually did it and she is pregnant. After all is not like there is no tension between them and somebody with a twisted mind like mine could think that is the good kind of tension.

Shipping is generally pure fanfiction. Fan-fiction, the work of a fan at least loosely based on a work usually written by another. Of course it's speculation and meaningless.

It's about as meaningful as contemplating the genetics required for cross breeding alieans to humans.

Or, y'know, contemplating why people enjoy thinking up such things as shippings.

You should see the rage or devastation from many shippers when their speculations are shot down by the work itself or by author commentary -- these are people emotionally invested in the "truth" of their inferences.

See, for instance, the fires of doom around "OTPs".

It is a work of fiction.

So -- taking that view to its logical conclusion -- since we never see anyone actually use the toilet in the Star Wars movies and games, it means that no one ever has? That level of constipation would certainly explain why Sith have so much anger to channel into force lightning. :D Yeah, you're just gonna have to accept that some things happen off-screen. Sorry, dude.

You should see the rage or devastation from many shippers when their speculations are shot down by the work itself or by author commentary -- these are people emotionally invested in the "truth" of their inferences.

See, for instance, the fires of doom around "OTPs".

I don't recall claiming all shippers as a calm, reasonable, group.

I personally swear LS Jaes and Pierce would be interesting to consider slapping together. And Annoying Royal Ship Mauler- I mean, Risha, would make an interesting pair with Corso; she being the foul mouthed-- *cough* Erm. Well, I don't really have any OTPs I would be overly destroyed to see as never happening.

So -- taking that view to its logical conclusion -- since we never see anyone actually use the toilet in the Star Wars movies and games, it means that no one ever has? That level of constipation would certainly explain why Sith have so much anger to channel into force lightning. :D Yeah, you're just gonna have to accept that some things happen off-screen. Sorry, dude.

We see them eat and drink, however... so there's reason to conclude that the normal result of that occurs, being the simplest chain of thought.

We see children, and characters have children, so there's reason to conclude that there is sex going on.

That is not the same as the absurd thinking that goes into assuming any two people who spend any time together and show any intense emotion towards each other are a potential couple. People are capable of having friendships, rivalries, etc, withing becoming intimately involved.

Harry & Hermione is fine.

As long as you aren't shipping Plastic face and barechest wolfboy/sparklepyre :D

LOL, nope, no danger of that happening lol :D If I had to choose a ship there, it'd probably be sparklepyre and Stephanie Meyer's MarySue :D LOL

And before you ask, I'm not into Destiel or Wincest either haha :D

Edited by Lunafox

perhaps a option to continue the romance for the faction you are if you are republic and have falled for theron, perhaps a sets of quests or conversations that can further things along, and the same with the empire and lana.

That is not the same as the absurd thinking that goes into assuming any two people who spend any time together and show any intense emotion towards each other are a potential couple. People are capable of having friendships, rivalries, etc, withing becoming intimately involved.

Agreed, but that's where we see just how screwed up people are in regards to relationship perception. All the bitter commentary about being "friendzoned" shows just how much people assume that just because they get along, something is -supposed- to happen, because they -want- it to...

Agreed, but that's where we see just how screwed up people are in regards to relationship perception. All the bitter commentary about being "friendzoned" shows just how much people assume that just because they get along, something is -supposed- to happen, because they -want- it to...

Yeah, for every person who has legitimately been "friend-zoned", there are probably 5 or 10 "what a fool believes" scenarios. (I say legitimately because there is something kinda sad in the cases of someone who foregoes a relationship with a decent person who genuinely cares about them for a series of relationships with crapsacks who couldn't care less, and this isn't just the self-absorbed perception of that other person but genuinely true.)

Another seed of this, I think, is the stock plot of the "rom com", in which two characters who can't stand each other at the start go through a series of obstacles and follies, and then end up in love. Que "If they're arguing that means they're in love!" BS from the shippers.

Yeah, for every person who has legitimately been "friend-zoned", there are probably 5 or 10 "what a fool believes" scenarios. (I say legitimately because there is something kinda sad in the cases of someone who foregoes a relationship with a decent person who genuinely cares about them for a series of relationships with crapsacks who couldn't care less, and this isn't just the self-absorbed perception of that other person but genuinely true.)

Another seed of this, I think, is the stock plot of the "rom com", in which two characters who can't stand each other at the start go through a series of obstacles and follies, and then end up in love. Que "If they're arguing that means they're in love!" BS from the shippers.

I personally stand more on the "Adversity makes for strange bedmates" stance, the "Not so different afterall" (until SoR Rishi plotline), the "Opposites attract", or "For the sake of the cover/gone too deep" positions more than the "Hate to hide lovey feelings."

And most of the ones I personally follow would fall more in the lines of a FWB or one-night stand.

And be very convenient for the continuation of the Shan line.