What is the point of Full Auto?

demotivator

Granted that I don't play my commando much so I am probably missing something but I just got Boltstorm and I am reading its tooltip:

Boltstorm

Channeled: 2.91s

Cooldown: 14.6s

Range: 30m

Fires a continuous stream of bolts that deals 7107 - 8673 weapon damage and depletes 16 energy cells over the duration. Weak and standard enemies caught in the blaster fire are stunned for the duration.

Shares a cooldown with Full Auto.

And now my old:

Full Auto

Channeled: 2.91s

Cooldown: 14.6s

Range: 30m

Fires a continuous stream of bolts that deals 6621 - 8083 weapon damage and depletes 24 energy cells over the duration. Weak and standard enemies caught in the blaster fire are stunned for the duration.

Same channel duration, same CD, same range but Boltstorm deals more damage for less energy. Since you can only use one due to the shared CD why would I use Full Auto?

Edited by demotivator

Here's a related question. When I hit 60 I popped my pocket trainer and started buying up the final set of ability upgrades. I was sort of distracted at the time, but I would swear that I saw a new level of Full Auto at level 60 under the Trooper tab AND a separate new level Full Auto at level 60 under Commando the Commando tab. It was only after buying those upgrades that it dawned on me:

a) Would both of those stack to improve FA or was it buying the same thing twice?

b) Would either/both of those also buff Bolt Storm, which replaces FA in Gunnery spec, or was it a waste?

a) Would both of those stack to improve FA or was it buying the same thing twice?

That have to be a display bug... Full Auto is a Trooper ability.

b) Would either/both of those also buff Bolt Storm, which replaces FA in Gunnery spec, or was it a waste?

No. It doesn't. But it isn't a waste. Inno/Assault and Heals still use Unload/Full Auto.

Edited by Ryuku-sama

Here's a related question. When I hit 60 I popped my pocket trainer and started buying up the final set of ability upgrades. I was sort of distracted at the time, but I would swear that I saw a new level of Full Auto at level 60 under the Trooper tab AND a separate new level Full Auto at level 60 under Commando the Commando tab. It was only after buying those upgrades that it dawned on me:

I did not notice any kind of double full-auto, but like you, I simply 'trained all' in a zombie like fashion. Are you sure it was not Charged bolt, or Hail of Bolts you trained in? Either way, if you are Gunnery spec, any upgrades to full-auto will not affect your Bolt Storm. The upgrade to full-auto is for Assault spec since Assault does not get Bolt Storm.

Boltstorm is the better version of FA. Just replace it on your bar and don't take out High Impact bolt like that guy said.

The rotation I use is Boltstorm just to start damage, vortex bolt to proc grav round, use grav round to proc curtain of fire, then boltstorm, then build charged barrel using grav round, then comes high impact bolt and demo round, throw vortex bolt in there when you can to use grav round on the move. Most important disicpline is tech override and forced march. Full auto on the move can save your life.

For enemies you think you need a lot of damage to take down, start with tech override and reserve powercell, use plasma grenade and electro net. Then use the rotation.

Note: For the start of the rotation you can start with grav round to proc curtain of fire first. I usually use boltstorm first to get that extra damage.

Boltstorm - Vortex Bolt - Grav Round proc - Boltstorm proc - Demo Round - Grav Round (casted) - High Impact Bolt - Vortex - Grav Round proc - Boltstorm proc

There is the whole rotation in a nut shell.

For openers, Add this

If you have Overclock utility: Tech Override+Reserve Powercell+Plasma Grenade - Electro Net - Grav Round - Boltstorm proc - Grav Round (casted) - High Impact Bolt - Demo Round - Vortex Bolt - Grav Round proc- Boltstorm proc

If you don't have Overclock utility: Tech Override+Reserve Powercell+Plasma Grenade - Electro Net - Vortex Bolt - Grav Round proc - Boltstorm proc - Grav Round (casted) - High Impact Bolt - Demo Round - Vortex Bolt - Grav Round proc - Boltstorm proc

Just be careful, that opener almost always pulls off even skilled tanks, be ready to be Diversion