BodyGuard Which attacks to use?

Drass

I used to run with Explosive Dart, Electro Dart, Rail Gun, and Overload. Along with the obvious Rapid Shots and Death From Above. With the new changes I'm second guessing what have been my long time choices.

Overload huh.

The key thing about merc bodyguard now is you can't use Supercharged Gas to power a free spamfest of Power Shots.

Also that all the AOE's were nerfed hugely on per target damage and had their target limit upped to 8.

Actually hitting 8 targets is dam near never happening so in total you're eating a damage nerf on AOEs. Technically this doesn't matter to Bodyguard because their single target damage sucks so much that even weakened AOE is one of their better options.

There's really nothing more than you mentioned.

Bodyguards have the basic untalented attacks and have nothing but Rapid Shot or the odd Power Shot when the decent ones are on cooldown.

Edited by Gyronamics

I used to run with Explosive Dart, Electro Dart, Rail Gun, and Overload. Along with the obvious Rapid Shots and Death From Above. With the new changes I'm second guessing what have been my long time choices.

There's really not much you can use if you intend to heal someone right after. If I have energy to spare I typically shoot off a fusion missile, railshot and unload. If in close combat do a rocket punch. Otherwise the only option is really only rapid shots.

Sweeping blasters had been buffed, and if you're doing dailies or solo content, getting the boresights utility is nice. Explosive dart is good for solo'ing dalies too.

Other than that electronet, rocket punch, unload, rapids shots, missile blasts are your best single damage abilities in that order. Then of course flame thrower and death from above for aoe. I would use fusion missile over power shot most times.

Edited by TezMoney

• 2 weeks later...

OK its been a short while since 3.0 and while at first I hated a few of the changes I can now say I can live with them. I still feel making the healing ability of rapid shots with Combat support cylinder into its own lump some small instant heal wasn't needed, I can see why they did it. I just play mostly PvE so the benefits are just not all that obvious.

My original in query here was to see what everyone was running with for their attacks while soloing dailies on their Bodyguard Mercs. Well with the feedback and some trial and error I think I may be on my way. Here is was I've found works for me so far and if you have any suggestions let me know I'm all for feedback, I love playing Bodyguard and despite some people blabbing "Just respec DPS if you want to do damage" I prefer to stick with my chosen spec even while doing dallies.

Pre 3.0 I ran with Combat support cylinder always on, even while questing solo. The heal function was just too nice not to have equipped and the 3% increase damage/heals was decent. Now however I've found Combustible Gas Cylinder to be the better choice. The proc actually stacks I find and tics for me every second doing 350 heat damage. Better yet when the DOT tics crit I see them critting for 1000 damage and I can maintain 2 stacks pretty easily on a target. Throw in the fact that Unload allows the proc and Sweeping Blasters will even let it proc on several targets at once is just nice.

Due to this I find myself using Unload, and Sweeping Blasters as my primary attacks. I use Railgun also but only on tougher opponents. Explosive Dart, Flame thrower, and the other attacks we have access too don't seem to have much going for them I have found as of yet to compete. Anyone have anything to add, I'm just sharing my play style thus far.

Now however I've found Combustible Gas Cylinder to be the better choice. The proc actually stacks I find and tics for me every second doing 350 heat damage. Better yet when the DOT tics crit I see them critting for 1000 damage and I can maintain 2 stacks pretty easily on a target. Throw in the fact that Unload allows the proc and Sweeping Blasters will even let it proc on several targets at once is just nice.

Usually, when using wrong cilinder, you screw up some important mechanic. not sure which one for bodyguards, but arsenal becomes unplayable without HV cil

Usually, when using wrong cilinder, you screw up some important mechanic. not sure which one for bodyguards, but arsenal becomes unplayable without HV cil

Bodyguard is still playable without the correct cylinder because the default attack heal is now an ability, not part of the cylinder.

However what doesn't work is the Supercharge. You can build stacks but using them will do nothing for your healing.

Not being able to use Supercharged Gas means no 10 heat venting, no bonus healing and no removed CD on Rapid Scan or reduced cost on Rapid Scan.

Bodyguard is still playable without the correct cylinder because the default attack heal is now an ability, not part of the cylinder.

However what doesn't work is the Supercharge. You can build stacks but using them will do nothing for your healing.

Not being able to use Supercharged Gas means no 10 heat venting, no bonus healing and no removed CD on Rapid Scan or reduced cost on Rapid Scan.

If you're in say, Plasma, you will still get the vent.