The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Some mats missing at trainer. Are they somewhere else?

MSchuyler

One of the artifice skills is enhancements. Most of them are available to learn and one is available for every other odd level--almost. But sometimes one is missing from the sequence and is unavailable. I've noticed this with cybertech as well with mods and armoring. I'm sure this is intentional, i.e.: I'm not calling it a bug, but my question is: Are these "missing schematics" available with another crew skill? Or are they only available from vendors? And is this kind of thing common with the other crew skills.

Obviously, I'm setting up a couple of my characters to craft mods of all sorts for my other toons, lessening the need for comms and credits. They are now learning blues for the skills "we" need and I hope, eventually purples. My two Sith crafters are put out by their kid brother Smuggler on the Republic, but I suppose they will consent to smuggle him some mods, too, just to keep his sorry butt alive.

Slicing, Investigation, and underworld trading will get you more schems than you can shake a stick it. Slicing seems to be mostly Cybertech, Investigation gives Armstech/Armormech/Synthweaving and some Artifice, and UT mostly gives Armormech and Synthweaving orange schems.

Treasure Hunting will sometimes get you a schem out of a lockbox. I've even seen a pet drop from a Grade 9 lockbox, but that's very, very, very rare.

Oh, and to craft top-tier mods (162/168/180), you need to rip and RE them.

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

Are these "missing schematics" available with another crew skill? Or are they only available from vendors? And is this kind of thing common with the other crew skills.

Not available from other crew skills, as second poster mentioned. Also, not from vendor. One sometimes finds the mods themselves for in between numbers, but unfortunately those schems cannot be learned.

Up to mod name 22 the number in the name of the mod refers to the same level of the character. I.e. armoring <name> 17 is wearable by a char level 39 and higher, augment <name> 17 as well, also modification <name> 17. The schematic for enhancement <name> 17 one cannot buy or get, but for enhancement <name> 18, which is useable by a char level 41. You may know that already, figured I put it in front because it is the basis for the following.

I am not quite sure what you mean with the last sentence, that I quoted. For those thingies we put into shells the following applies: where there are consecutive numbers, when the mod goes up 1 level, it is useable by a char 2 levels higher (erf, it is late, I hope it is understandable). Consecutive numbers we have in armorings, hilts, barrels, and augments.

Where the mod skips numbers, it skips 1 regularily until 22, modifications (in the narrow sense) start with the number 2 useable by level 9 chars, enhancements start with number 3 useable by level 11 chars. So, in case I understand your question correctly, the answer is: up to 22 numbers are skipped only for modifications (in narrow sense), and enhancements.

Just a caveat, that you did not ask about, but I think is worth mentioning: Mind, that it is those 2 where the naming gets quite messy somewhere in the mid levels. Mods with the exact same stats have different names, and enhancements with the exact same name have different stats. One is well advised to buy schematics very carefully, indeed.

Edited by Nazdika

I am not quite sure what you mean with the last sentence, that I quoted. For those thingies we put into shells the following applies: where there are consecutive numbers, when the mod goes up 1 level, it is useable by a char 2 levels higher (erf, it is late, I hope it is understandable). Consecutive numbers we have in armorings, hilts, barrels, and augments.

For example, artifice crafts enhancement, but not all of them. Indeed, it's only every other one, and it's the odd numbers starting with three (for level 11), five (for level 15), seven (for level 19), etc. up to nineteen (for level 43). An artificer CAN craft numbers 21, 22, and 23 for levels 47, 49, and 50 respectively.

SO, that leaves all the even numbered mods, starting with number two (for level 9) through twenty (for level 45) available from vendors ONLY, or perhaps from the GTN. So my original question was whether some other crafting skill that I have not encountered learns to craft the even numbered mods.

Apparently not, and this pattern appears to hold fro cybertech and mods as well.

Also, an artificer can craft sometimes more than 50 enhancements per level where only 4 or 5 are available from vendors. This suggests a credit sink because you really donlt need to craft that many varieties of enhancements per level.

For example, artifice crafts enhancement, but not all of them. Indeed, it's only every other one, and it's the odd numbers starting with three (for level 11), five (for level 15), seven (for level 19), etc. up to nineteen (for level 43). An artificer CAN craft numbers 21, 22, and 23 for levels 47, 49, and 50 respectively.

SO, that leaves all the even numbered mods, starting with number two (for level 9) through twenty (for level 45) available from vendors ONLY, or perhaps from the GTN. So my original question was whether some other crafting skill that I have not encountered learns to craft the even numbered mods.

Apparently not, and this pattern appears to hold fro cybertech and mods as well.

Also, an artificer can craft sometimes more than 50 enhancements per level where only 4 or 5 are available from vendors. This suggests a credit sink because you really donlt need to craft that many varieties of enhancements per level.

Final answer...

Enhancements are the sole purview of artifices crafting. Mods and Armorings are the sole purview of cxybertech crafting; there is no other crew skill that can craft enhancements, armorings, or mods. case closed.

As to why the "every other number is trained" scheme. the situation is simple - artificers craft odd numbered enhancements, even numbered enhancements come from quest rewards and/or random drops. The ONLY reason you see even numbered enhancements on the GTN is that someone got a Bind on Equip (BoE) drop and could not/did not use it and therefore tried to sell it to someone who would use it.

The opposite is true for cybertechs - CTs craft even numbered armorings and mods and odd numbered armorings and mods are quest rewards and/or random drops.

In either case (Art or CT) the "opposite" numbered items are not REable for the schematics.