The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

While In PvP...

SkyCakeLight

Heya! TL;DR / Why does it feel like my PT is getting focused in PvP more than the other classes?

So! I've done a decent amount of PvP across all the classes. And with the 12x exp, I've been using PvP to keep me gear'd up. But! I've noticed something while PvPing on my PT. I always seem to be a focused target! No matter if it's a 4v4, or the standard maps. Why is that? I have a few guesses, but most likely wrong.

Grapple is very annoying! I use grapple on CD in PvP. I love love love pulling people that think they're safe in the back right into the middle of my team. Or, in the place with the turrets shooting at the ships, I love standing at the center turret and pulling random enemies to me as they try to run by to one of the side turrets. Is that a reason to focus a class in PvP?

AOE DOTs! Whenever I use flame sweep, suddenly half their team has DOTs on them that also increase my damage against them. These DOTs don't hit very hard, though they add up, I don't think that's really a reason to focus a class down in PvP... but, it's a thought!

AOE, Ranged Taunt! I can shoot a missile that for the next 6 seconds gimps several player's PvP. I'm thinking this might be a good reason since you can really help out your team with this quick, range, instant cast, low CD skill. Surprisingly, I don't see it used very often (easy way to get medals, too).

So! Those are my guesses. But, I'm really looking for the real reason. My Juggernaut or Sorceress don't get focused nearly as much as my PowerTech. Sniper is meh... and, I spend a lot of time in stealth on my Operative, so doesn't really get focused.

Thanks!

Well, from what I understand PT can be a great DPS class, especially if Pyro speeced. Never tryed it myself, though, but I suppose they focus you mostly because of that. ;)

Then again, any class, if played properly, can be a nuisance.

However, some are harder than others to down while focused.

Juggs have Enraged Defence, which makes it a pain to down them while active.

Sorcs have hteir godbubble (Force Barrier) which makes it useless to focus them for the time being.

So it's expected that they may have some more breathing time. :o

Still, if you're not getting focused while playing your Sorc, the others are playing wrong. :p

You forgot the primary reason: PT's have ridiculous burst at 55, and are relatively easy to kill unless the player is good (and then they are a pain to kill). Even mediocre players can bring heavy burst with the class and it is a front line in your face class. Hence it will frequently be focused.

Thanks! Makes total sense!! I have noticed, my PT is not as bulky as my Juggernaut or Sorc. Kolto Overload really helps and can keep me alive sometimes if I mix it was my flame shield. And, using Chaff flares on CD. But, still not as bulky as my other two favorite classes.

I can definitely see the burst, though. And! See that as the reason. So, PTs are focused because they have high DPS with burst and DOTs and can really be a pain to the enemy team, but at the same time they're pretty easy to take down compared to other classes. Makes sense! Why not take down the easier to kill class, first? Haha. That sucks. Still, a very fun class to play.

As a side note to bulkiness, I love Force Barrier on my Sorceress. When I first got it, I thought it would be stupid and/or useless. Nope! It's pretty fun to become invincible! Haha.

Again, thanks!