The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So... I suck at PvP

TACeMossie

After leaving ranked PvP upon getting a full set of semi-optimized Brutalizer gear near the start of season 2 (well, he had way too much crit rating but it was a joke set designed around a 50% stockstrike crit rate. I have since fixed that up), I returned this week in order to see how well I could do.

And... I noticed I completely suck at it. Either that, or the other team got paranoid upon seeing my name and burned me down :mad:

I doubt its that though

With that in mind, I come back here, not as a teacher, but as a complete noob who is asking for help with how the better ranked Vanguards and Powertechs are surviving the plethora of 4dps games in ranked arenas nowdays, with questions such as:

Are you all speccing tank spec?

Is it a case of handling cooldowns better?

Are you just not being attacked because they dont realize you're a DPS monster?

Things I'm especially having issues with:

Hybrid healers cheesing the system :mad:

Mad Sorcs

Vengeance Juggs (especially in tank stance)

Burst Spec teams (espcially when combined with stealth)

Force Shroud :mad:

If you're happy to help out a PvP noob who somehow managed to get all the Season 1 rewards besides the rancor get his Season 3 Ranked Armor set (without cheesing the system at least), I'd greatly appreciate it.

- Kwerty, Nightmare PvE Raider who sucks at PvP

Weed through my posts in this thread [which I saw you in already] and read Koozie's guide for Pyro, as it's what I assume you play.

To the "are you all speccing tank" question, I'd let out an obnoxious amount of laughter if that translated to text easily.

[because nobody else PT tanks in ranked pvp]

Without a healer, a PT/VG can be incredibly squishy. Us being the "tankiest melee dps next to juggs" comes into serious doubt sometimes as we have no win button DCD [ED, UR, Vanish] to save us in those do-or-die moments. You've gotta predict your enemy's battle plan as well as counter with your own and hope your teammates collectively have half a brain to go with it. Learn which of your whopping two-and-a-half cooldowns help in which scenarios. Kolto is as close to god mode as Pyro gets, and it resets every 40s under constant pressure if you have a healer keeping you up as well. Preload Kolto if you think you'll be brought to 35% in the next minute. Chaff Flare vs Ravage. Shield denies burst phases, but I advice you use this while your high burst phase is up [full dots on target, explosive fuel, cannons, railshot RNG god prayers].

That being said, you can still do everything right and die first.

I'm really not sure what you know and what you don't know but I am pretty much going to tell you what goes through my mind as I play PVP. I know you mean solo ranked pvp but just keep in mind a lot of these tips work in should work overall

1. Something that sets a good PVPer from a bad one is being able to some what "predict" your opponents moves. Such as what defensive cooldown they will pop or how they are using their offensive abilities on you. For example when you play a jug, how sure can you be that he won' t pop his reflect? Can't be certain? Try and juke him into using his reflect on your explosive dart. Doesn't fall for that? Try and get him to use his stun break on carbonzie. If he breaks stun him with electro dart and load up your burst. Pillar humping is your best friend when dueling jugs. More than likely a jug will fall for any of those "tricks".

2. I learned this from koozie, don't blow your wad on a healer when they have all their cooldowns up. Don't get upset when you can't kill a healer by your self. A good healer should never get solo'd. But get them to use all their cooldowns then when you know they don't have anything, burst them through a stun. Or if you catch them off guard and get them really low and they panic and and smash their key board and they pop all their dcds. Be sure to carbonize first, they will most likely break it because they can't afford to be stunned if they are that low on health.

3. As I don't do solo ranked much but I can offer my input in on 4s. Talk alot. That is so crucial in a ranked environment it is beyond any amount of skill. You could have an amazing super comp on the other team but never talks. In mumble, teamspeak, etc I am always constantly calling targets.

4. Sorcs are overall good classes for solo ranked so don't get disappointed. The only thing you can really do is just "tunnel' them. I know, easier said than done.

5. Just know how each class plays, all the ins and outs of each spec.

YOLO or 4's?

Yeah Yolo queue. If it were group ranked I'd be sure to bring a healer + a tank, as the only time I've won this season was my only 2 DPS 1 tank 1 healer team, and its cause their DPS sucked and tunneled our healer with their incredible...

1k dps combined

We almost got gassed though because the tank + healer were an All Galaxy Jugg + All Galaxy Operative :(

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do in yolo que if it's 4dps v 4dps and you get tunneled :(

Best I can say is against burst teams it may be beneficial to blow at least 2 CD's at once just so you don't get burst through them, I've been tunneled by two carnage marauders and even my buffed kolto overload couldn't keep up.

Madness sorcs are basically our hard counter despite us having DoT protection :confused: the only thing I know of is to try to stay up in their face and force them to move so they can't channel force lightning and get wrath stacks (Also easier said than done) keep grapple for their force speed and HTL for overload, keep your slows on them and pray to the RNG gods for crits. If they have 2+ madness sorcs than just /stuck

Vengeance jugs, just keep your dots on them to blow through their ED and switch targets (Also hard to coordinate in yolo) if unrelenting, or whatever its called is up then use HTL to run out of their ravage channels or eat it like a champ

And I've actually noticed that sins/shadows tend to wait for TD/AP to use their shroud, maybe don't use it on them and see if they shroud anyways, if so then just reapply dots, if not than enjoy the free kill :D

And I totally haven't done a lot of ranked since season 1, and none at all in season 3 so take this with a grain of salt

I presume you only have this problem in yolo only 4 dps teams? Yeah, not much to do, my thread is about this topic too.

Got some "advices" and such to "rotate the DCDs" and others too, but it is ***, let's be honest. You either use everything you've got and survive for a while or just die even faster. Without a healer or tank or both in the team you will die when being tunneled... quickly.

You can't do much about it, just try to do as much damage in that little time as possible and pray that your teammates will make good use of the time the opponents spend on you instead of them.

Take advantage of the tunneling and pop HO and make them chase you LOS while your teammates work them. Eventually something will give and they will switch or one of them will go down and you have some breathing room.

Just remember that in a 4v4 all DPS, SOMEONES gonna die on both teams unless there is simply a massive skill imbalance. Try not to beat yourself up on it. Best you can do when being focused is make them work for it and hopefully your team makes your sacrifice worthwhile, or get in a rotation or two before the inevitable.

And I've actually noticed that sins/shadows tend to wait for TD/AP to use their shroud, maybe don't use it on them and see if they shroud anyways, if so then just reapply dots, if not than enjoy the free kill :D

Either that or troll them with explosive dart.

I dont agree with the fact that they can wait till its about to go off before they pop shroud. Its already on them. Although, at least it makes more thematic sense than a jugg saber reflecting right before a grenade attached to them detonates.