POT5 Ranked GSF TOURNEY

SWCNT

I think a better way to do this would have been to tell people to come fly in a tournament, and that there would be a formula of some sort, but don't tell people what it is. That would mean that people wouldn't be able to exploit the formula, since they don't know what it is -- you could draw out a dom match by having one green and two white sats, but what if the formula rewards fast games?

Of course, then you have the problem of people feeling cheated if the formula has problems (even if you don't reveal it after the tournament is over). You'd have to be pretty careful (and, frankly, pretty competitive) to get it right.

Side note: as a mostly solo queuer, I'm ok with win percentage not being part of the formula. Some of the games I feel I performed best in were losses. (Example -- this was my first match on TEH, on a stock Nova the whole game.)

Chill, a few players arguing doesn't mean you have a fundamental drama.

What we were missing is the context and tone of the competition. Is this the super bowl? Is this flag football?

Are, say, four ion gunships sitting on a node being a poor sport, or are they competing optimally? That's what we were missing. I know Drako and I sort of assumed you wanted normal GSF team play with emphasis on the numbers instead of winning the game, but that was by no means clear or apparent.

So if you say, "here's a formula, prize for maximizing", it's good to know to what extents you expect players to go to do that. Obviously no one would be doing things that would be reportable normally (chain self destructs, etc), but there are other cases where normal pilots reading your post would come to very different conclusions about what is going on, and what is appropriate.

I was actually surprised by some of the responses in this thread, but I wouldn't say they were necessary derogatory. I realize that isn't relevant to the quote.

I saw his formula more as a way to show people they are actually being effective in a match despite not having most kills and most damage, which seems to be the only thing people look to, and the first thing that gets thrown out when trash talk starts.

I think having a raw score for newer players that can't exactly tell how they're contributing would encourage them to continue playing.

It would be better if the game tracked heals on the score page, though I suppose you could just take another screenshot of the performance page and use that to tally individual effectiveness using a score system. Would also be nice if the game tracked other support abilities such as wingman and suppression. Player affected hit/missed x number more shots, thus doing y amount more/less damage. Probably too many variables for that to be passably accurate given RNG.

At the end of the day, it's incumbent on each individual player to play within the spirit of the tournament.

If a team wants to run 4 ion gunships...ok. Stationary targets are easier to hit. If the other team doesn't focus each gunship and destroy/occupy their time, they probably deserve to have a lower score.

I like what you're attempting with the formula. I could state why but it's been said several times.

I saw his formula more as a way to show people they are actually being effective in a match despite not having most kills and most damage, which seems to be the only thing people look to, and the first thing that gets thrown out when trash talk starts.

In essence, this.

No formula is going to be perfect on the first try. I think the weighted average approach is a good one, but your coefficients might require adjustment. I'm not suggesting a specific change, just that you'd have to validate this formula with many data sets and adjust accordingly. If you want to try a practice run to collect more data I'd be up for it.