PLEASE Allow Us to Have Steam Overlay

RuthlessKorrupt

Bioware, I know EA has you pushing Origin, and it's nice and all.

But how bout some freedom of choice for your paying customer's?

LET US HAZ STEAM OVERLAY!

You'd be better off suggesting EA imitate than hoping for a hand-off of EA's own incredibly popular MMO to a major competitor for the digital retail market.

If I add the launcher as the steam app, it does not show me in a steam game after the launcher closes and the game starts, and the overlay of course does not work. If i select swtor.exe as the steam game, it does not launch (since you need to log in using the launcher)

I would like to know exactly how you got it to work. :)

Only because a couple responders weren't immediately calling me a liar and a troll.

Library -> Add a Game... -> Browse... -> Desktop (it's where I have my launcher shortcut) -> SWTOR -> Add Selected Programs -> Launch from Library

Every now and then I have a launch that doesn't show me in game on the Friends list, but I'm still able to use the overlay with no problem. I use XP if that makes a difference to you and your OS. It's possible different codes may prevent Steam from working across all platforms with it, though I'd be surprised at that.

Only because a couple responders weren't immediately calling me a liar and a troll.

Library -> Add a Game... -> Browse... -> Desktop (it's where I have my launcher shortcut) -> SWTOR -> Add Selected Programs -> Launch from Library

Every now and then I have a launch that doesn't show me in game on the Friends list, but I'm still able to use the overlay with no problem. I use XP if that makes a difference to you and your OS. It's possible different codes may prevent Steam from working across all platforms with it, though I'd be surprised at that.

Hm, I had already done what you suggested, but after the launcher closes do does my status in Steam- along with the overlay. I can't run the SWTOR.exe directly as it wants me to use the launcher.

So, because technically the launcher is it's own program, it doesn't work for me. :/

I'm on Windows 7.

Edited by Jaime-Hunter

Hm, I had already done what you suggested, but after the launcher closes do does my status in Steam- along with the overlay. I can't run the SWTOR.exe directly as it wants me to use the launcher.

So, because technically the launcher is it's own program, it doesn't work for me. :/

I'm on Windows 7.

Same here, windows 7 as well. Its odd cuz I am pretty sure I had it working during one of the beta weekends using this technique. I remember thinking it was interesting that steam recognized that the launcher launching the game, was in fact the same game. Well now it doesnt hehe.

This is the only way so far to get it to work on W7

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=27786&page=3

Should be the first post on page 3. It seems only people on XP can use it on steam without jumping through hoops like we do.

I was super excited until I saw that the overlay still does not work hehe. Still will probably do it tho, thanks for the link :)

Didn't work for me either. Funny thing is when I try to close Steam, it gives me error saying that the Launcher.exe is still running and it can't close steam because of it. This is after I quite the game. Which could mean the cmd file did its job in keeping the launcher going, but the overlay just didn't take?

Didn't work for me either. Funny thing is when I try to close Steam, it gives me error saying that the Launcher.exe is still running and it can't close steam because of it. This is after I quite the game. Which could mean the cmd file did its job in keeping the launcher going, but the overlay just didn't take?

all the workaround is doing is running a background program that runs the launcher and then sits there, its not going to allow the overlay to work. It's basically to trick steam into showing you being in the game.