3.0 Comms & Gear

yobekcir

[Note this is just a best guess and not confirmed]

With 3.0 we will be leveling to 60 and getting 2 new gear levels(192,198)[Confirmed] and two new styles of gear(if looks matter to you) One style will be the entry/planetary level 60 gear(like Black market was for Makeb expansion), the other style will be the Ultimate commendations/NiM(more on this in a bit)

First lets go over what will happen to our commendations:

Both Elite + Ultimate Level comms will be reset to 0, at the same time Planetary+Classic comms will be removed and your current stockpile will be converted to Basic Comms[Confirmed]

Conversion Rate: (only a guess, total basic if you have max cap)

5:1 Planetary to Basic (20 Basic)

4:1 Classic to Basic (250 Basic)

3:1 Basic to Basic (333 Basic)

2:1 Elite to Basic (200 Basic)

1:1 Ultimate to Basic (300 Basic)

Total Basic comms would be 1103 if you have maxed out all your comms before 3.0. This dose me we might see a temporary cap on Basic. Something like we saw on the Makeb expansion where you can not get anymore basic comms until you drop below the call 1000. (only a guess)

What will our comms buy?! (here is where things can be tricky)

With all these Basic comms what level of gear will you get with these? My best guess is 180’s(level 55) what you can currently get for Ultimate comms. Also … 192(level 60) new planetary gear. Why would you spend comms on 180’s vs 192’s my only guess there will be only very little difference in the stats on these the only thing that will be different is that the 180’s you can put on at level 55 and will be able to get a set bonus and relics from drops.

Some might ask why would dev’s go 180’s vs 192’s not to 186’s. Because they are not going to change the level cap on 186’s to level 60 they will still be level 55 gear for anyone that has been doing NiM content and are mostly gear now in 186’s. By changing the level cap on current gear you make it unusable until those people get to 60.

So what will happen to 186’s? They will be what you get for Elite comms also drops from Story mode DF+DP and 2 New Ops. Set Bonus and Relics will be from drops only in Story Modes.

This makes 186’s level 55 better than the 192’s “entry/planetary”.

However not all is lost for 192’s for new gear. There are still Ultimate comms… Yes I think you will be buying 192’s (this is the “2nd style” of new gear) much better stats and for level 60 only. The set bonus and relics will only drop from Hard Modes DF+DP and 2 New Ops. Like Oriconian and Dread Forged gear is right now.

But we are also getting 198’s level 60 gear? Yes 198’s gear is going to replace 186’s spot in NiM DF + DP, and are only drops.

I am sorry for how long this is, I just wanted to write down my thoughts. In the end will find out on Dec.2/2014

Edited by yobekcir

First thought ... if the Planetary Comm conversion rate turns out to really be 5:1, I'm going to be a tad disappointed (and if it is, that means 20 Basics, not 50, because the Planetary Comm limit is 100). So suddenly, all the Planet Comms on all my alts who are nowhere close to level cap are devalued by 80%? The Comms I was saving for them to buy Companion off-hand items at level 22 ... or Mods (because, let's face it, it's usually better to craft your own barrels, hilts, armor mods, and enhancements). I understood that they were doing away with Planet Comms altogether and merging them into Basics. But, seriously, if the conversion rate is anywhere close to 5:1? That alone could get me to set aside SWTOR for another game (at least for this winter).:(

I, of course, will wait to see the actual system in place. But there's no harm in making sure I've downloaded all the LOTRO updates I've missed the past few months ... just in case.;)

Edited by Thoronmir

Are planetary comms being done away with? I thought that I read that it was just classic on up were being combined. I can't find the original source and am asking out of pure curiosity.

Yes, planetary comms are being removed. Basic comms will now be used during the leveling process.

What will our comms buy?! (here is where things can be tricky)

With all these Basic comms what level of gear will you get with these? My best guess is 180’s(level 55) what you can currently get for Ultimate comms. Also … 192(level 60) new planetary gear. Why would you spend comms on 180’s vs 192’s my only guess there will be only very little difference in the stats on these the only thing that will be different is that the 180’s you can put on at level 55 and will be able to get a set bonus and relics from drops.

Some might ask why would dev’s go 180’s vs 192’s not to 186’s. Because they are not going to change the level cap on 186’s to level 60 they will still be level 55 gear for anyone that has been doing NiM content and are mostly gear now in 186’s. By changing the level cap on current gear you make it unusable until those people get to 60.

So what will happen to 186’s? They will be what you get for Elite comms also drops from Story mode DF+DP and 2 New Ops. Set Bonus and Relics will be from drops only in Story Modes.

This makes 186’s level 55 better than the 192’s “entry/planetary”.

However not all is lost for 192’s for new gear. There are still Ultimate comms… Yes I think you will be buying 192’s (this is the “2nd style” of new gear) much better stats and for level 60 only. The set bonus and relics will only drop from Hard Modes DF+DP and 2 New Ops. Like Oriconian and Dread Forged gear is right now.

But we are also getting 198’s level 60 gear? Yes 198’s gear is going to replace 186’s spot in NiM DF + DP, and are only drops.

I am sorry for how long this is, I just wanted to write down my thoughts. In the end will find out on Dec.2/2014

The last half of your post is a complete mess and makes no sense. If they keep the same system they have now it would look something like this:

Basic buys all planetary gear, and also 186 gear (not NiM gear, just same rating and requires level 58 or 60).

Elites buy 192.

Ultimates buy 198.

192 gear drops from the new SM ops.

198 gear drops from the new HM ops, and maybe from last boss in NiM DF+DP.

Edited by MillionsKNives

If Basic = the new Planetary, then I sincerely hope there is NOT a conversion rate reduction for current planetary comms, as that would unfairly penalize anyone with characters under level 50 who only have planetary comms at this point.

That in mind, I think the conversion rate should be 1:1 Planetary -> Basic for that reason.

Of course, we'll see on Dec. 2nd.

If Basic = the new Planetary, then I sincerely hope there is NOT a conversion rate reduction for current planetary comms, as that would unfairly penalize anyone with characters under level 50 who only have planetary comms at this point.

That in mind, I think the conversion rate should be 1:1 Planetary -> Basic for that reason.

Of course, we'll see on Dec. 2nd.

^^^ this. Either that or sub-55 leveling gear/modifications will have proportionately reduced cost (e.g. 1 comm per mod/enh, 3 per armoring). So I would not expect anything worse than a 2-to-1 Planetary-to-Basic conversion.

I ithnk BW can be pretty generous wit the conversion without it affecting the game much, since Basics will only buy leveling gear. I will not be surprised if they 1-to-1 all 2.0 comms to Basics but with a 100 permanent / 200 temporary cap. I'll be temp-capped on Basics on every toon if they do, but I will somehow survive ...

Edited by BuriDogshin

The last half of your post is a complete mess and makes no sense. If they keep the same system they have now it would look something like this:

Basic buys all planetary gear, and also 186 gear (not NiM gear, just same rating and requires level 58 or 60).

Elites buy 192.

Ultimates buy 198.

192 gear drops from the new SM ops.

198 gear drops from the new HM ops, and maybe from last boss in NiM DF+DP.

So a little birdie told me that what you are saying looks to be right.

Basic comms will buy you plantary gear and all the way up to 186 Level 55

Elite will get you 192 level 60 (relics/set bonus from ops)

Ultimate comms will get you the 198 level 60 just like Oricon/Dread Forged Gear are now (relics/set bonus/best in slots from ops)

It is sad that with the expansion a little over two weeks away, we are still playing guessing games with commendation conversion rates as well as gear availability.

At this point, we should have clear communication from Bioware outlining the commendation conversion rates, any caps, any overage allowances, and any gear which will be removed.

Edited by DawnAskham

Well, lets hope their progression is better, i mean, when i am doing pre-makeb stuff, its 2 for mods and enhancements and 7 for armorings, hilts and barrels and then when makeb came, it was 4 for mods and enhancements and 10 for the others...kinda expensive, lets hope they make the prices more balanced, where you don't notice the change in price.

I am thinking i will be waiting until 3.0 goes live (i am assuming the 3.0 is the expansion) to roll a new character, in the mean time, i will be upping my armorings and mods craftables, so i will not have the issues i had with my jedi guardian on Oricon, which i hope i can skip when the expansion is released, cause it was bloody annoyingly difficult.....that was likely my gear that was causing that.....makeb 50s and all that.

It is sad that with the expansion a little over two weeks away, we are still playing guessing games with commendation conversion rates as well as gear availability.

At this point, we should have clear communication from Bioware outlining the commendation conversion rates, any caps, any overage allowances, and any gear which will be removed.

Holding onto so many comms, but afraid i will lose half of them in the conversation as going over the cap, wish i knew so i could spend any excess comms on gear for me or my companions, or even on Isotopes to sell.

I think it's fun. You just have to consider all the possibilities and choose a comms strategy you think is reasonably certain to be beneficial. A little logic and a bit of gambling, like in most games.

BIoware explains how exactly commendations will work for the transition to patch 3.0.

Commendations and Refund Timers in 3.0 | 11.17.2014, 06:25 PM

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7806671#edit7806671

Hey folks,

As many of you know, there are changes coming to Commendations in 3.0. I talked about this a little bit previously, here, and one thing that came from that post were more questions. I thought I would make a one stop-shop post on Commendations in 3.0 and what would happen to them, so here we go!

All Basic, Classic, Planetary, Elite, and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations.more on this below

The Commendation types "Classic" and "Planetary" are being removed from the game.

Warzone and Ranked Warzone Commendations are remaining exactly as they are now, and any Commendations you have will carry over to 3.0.

*Important* Any items that you have purchased prior to 3.0 that have a refund timer will become bound to you with the 3.0 update.

Quick note on all of the PvE Commendations collapsing into Basic. The conversion rate of each Commendation will vary, both above and below 1:1 most likely. We are still working out exactly what those conversion rates are but I will get you that info before 3.0. I know one of the concerns is what the Basic Commendation cap will become. The plan right now is that the cap will remain 1,000, however, when the conversions happen in 3.0 we will allow that number to go higher, temporarily.

Once we nail down those exact numbers I will let you know so you can plan accordingly. Thanks everyone.

-eric

Originally Posted by Saregon

I would also like to know what armor sets are being removed from the game, assuming you are removing some because of what happened with the removal of the old level 50 stuff when ROTHC launched.

Good question, let me check on this.

Alright, here are the details:

The Obroan and Brutalizer sets will be removed from vendors and replaced by the new Unranked and Ranked sets respectively.

The existing PvE sets will all be moved to a different vendor than they are on currently.

Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa

I have around 400/600 basic comms, 960-ish Classic comms, about 50 planetary commendations, and around 200 elite comms, with 150-fish Ultimate comms. Will there be an overflow limit, or will it just be capped at 1000?

The cap will remain 1,000, however there will be an overflow limit to compensate for the consolidation. I will have more exact numbers closer to launch!

-eric

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.