Balancing criteria

JFoxstride

Hi there

Newbie here. What's the balancing criteria on the random starfighter matchmaking? Is there any?

I can't really tell the "level" of a certain pilot other than the number of ships he has. I know that doesn't mean much (dude with 5 ships can be awful, dude with the 2 starters may be na ace), but in the vast majority of cases that is a very accurate marker.

So more often than not I join fresh random matches and find myself on a team of "starter-ship-pilots" against one of "5-ship-pilots". Result? Yeah, we get ROFLstomped.

So what's the deal?

Groups are prioritized over solo queued pilots, I believe when it tries to work correctly it has something to do with total legacy earned ship requisition but we don't know for sure. There is no way to learn because it never acts there same. It cannot be observed beyond the group bias.

It needs far more pilots on the queue than are ever around.

EDIT://

Here is a link to a previous thread about this, I attempted science but it ended up a fail side the data is cloaked.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=765479

Edited by zaskar

At one point a developer said that matchmaking was based on the number of ships queued and the amount of requisition in those ships. Do aces who queue a single mastered ship rank lower than aces who queue 5 mastered ships or is it some type of averaged function? I do not know. The same developer said players are not queued into an 12 vs 12 until after 10 matches. This is clearly not true any longer, so the previous statement deserves at least some scrutiny.

I think the group queue advantage is due to a numbers game. Four single queues would all have to be on longer than a group of four to pass it given equal matchmaking power.

If I solo queue my 5 mastered ship loadout and I am the only one: First, I wait for the current match to finish. Second, I wait for another match to finish. Third, I always get the next match. There is some matchmaking, it is just an imperfect process and eventually people will get a queue no matter how bad the matchmaking.

If you are on Harbinger, I have no idea how that happens. It seems like it should work better with 3 matches going on at the same time.