The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Flagging system

Cordarn

I had OSUT as well. I was 11B, got my training at Ft Benning, GA, Bravo 9-2, Harmony Church. That last bit should give a clue as to how long ago I attended Basic/AIT.

BTW...Waynesville is almost exactly the same. ;)

Wait:eek: What:eek: Learn something new everyday. I didn't know track grease..I mean Grunts could read:confused:..) Never walk when you can ride:D Tanks for the memories:)

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of who is at fault (It is obviously the OP and anyone else that does not take care in targetting) there is no reason to allow a player to attack a flagged player unless they are flagged themselves.

Players should NOT be allowed to hide behind a lack of a PVP flag and openly attack flagged players. That gives them an unfair advantage. Players should ONLY be able to attack flagged players if they are flagged themselves.

Players that are brave enough to display a PVP flag should not be pounced on by unflagged players. They should have the chance to attack first, to take first position, instead of coming into the fight at an automatic disadvantage provided by poor game mechanics.

The system as it is is ridiculous. It needs to change.

Wait:eek: What:eek: Learn something new everyday. I didn't know track grease..I mean Grunts could read:confused:..) Never walk when you can ride:D Tanks for the memories:)

hehe, yea, well someone has to be out there throwing and catching bullets while the motorpool folks are tinkering with oil cleaners back in the CP......

I was 25th ID. Light Infantry. They didn't let us ride hehe.

Here you go again. I don't oppose your stupid idea because it would prevent griefing, I oppose it because its not required, and is a hindrance to those who do choose to engage in PvP. Not only that, I disapprove of anything designed to protect someone from their own stupidity. This is like seatbelt and motorcycle helmet laws. I fully support people who choose not to wear them. If all goes well, they'll stop muddying up the gene pool.

It is absolutely required. There is no reason to allow players an unfair advantage over another player.

I've been saying this for ages now. The time for coddling PVP players too meek to flag themselves and take the risk needs to end. If you are going to engage in PVP, you should be open to attack. It is cowardice to hide behind a lack of a flag so you can get the first advantage, and pretty silly to support such a practice.

This whole flagging system ruins the immersion and is quite game breaking IMO. If you are a sith and you happen upon a jedi out in the open, what do you do? Do you go up to him and ask him if he would like to engage in a duel to the death? NO! You attack him immediately!

This needs to be fixed right now! I can't enjoy the game this way as a sith.

this is actually an IQ test. if you were smart you would have rolled on a pvp server.

hehe, yea, well someone has to be out there throwing and catching bullets while the motorpool folks are tinkering with oil cleaners back in the CP......

I was 25th ID. Light Infantry. They didn't let us ride hehe.

Hawaii:eek: Whoa Betsy . Nice but spendy. At least that is what I heard. Tanks the Army's version of a Winnebago keep you from hoofing it:D We gave more than a few Grunts rides in my day. Gave their tootsies a break. They were happy campers. Especially if they were carrying the Pig or a PR 77.

Edited by well

It is absolutely required. There is no reason to allow players an unfair advantage over another player.

I've been saying this for ages now. The time for coddling PVP players too meek to flag themselves and take the risk needs to end. If you are going to engage in PVP, you should be open to attack. It is cowardice to hide behind a lack of a flag so you can get the first advantage, and pretty silly to support such a practice.

Ridiculous. Usually you make a bit of sense, even if I think you put way too much thought into inconsequential matters. But you're way off base here. If everyone had to manually flag before engaging in PvP, it would never happen. Sometimes all you have is a second to react. As for coddling PvP'ers, LOL. Its pretty clear that pve'ers are the ones that get coddled. PvP is never fair in the open world. Save your crying about fairness for wz's.

Edited by Jimvinny

Hawaii:eek: Whoa Betsy . Nice but spendy. At least that is what I heard. Tanks the Army's version of a Winnebago keep you from hoofing it:D We gave more than a few Grunts rides in my day. Gave their tootsies a break. They were happy campers. Especially if they were carrying the Pig or a PR 77.

We were humpin it all. Had to hump a baseplate a few times. That was fun.

Oahu was pricey, but the most beautiful place on Earth. And I have been around the world....most breathtaking place right here in the USA.

Better the limited players engaging in owpvp on a pve server, than the NO players on PvP servers. Next.

if the pvp players were grow a brain cell and all go to the same server, they would have a unified voice and a leg to stand on. by hiding out on pve servers, they make their contingent invisible and unheard.

Well said.

Ridiculous. Usually you make a bit of sense, even if I think you put way too much thought into inconsequential matters. But you're way off base here. If everyone had to manually flag before engaging in PvP, it would never happen. Sometimes all you have is a second to react. As for coddling PvP'ers, LOL. Its pretty clear that pve'ers are the ones that get coddled. PvP is never fair in the open world. Save your crying about fairness for wz's.

Did you just accuse me of crying? If so, I perhaps you should check your own behavior in this thread before you accuse others. If not, then I digress.

Sometimes all you have is a second to react....to what? The presence of a flagged player? If you are unflagged they can't attack you...so how would you turning on a flag reduce your reaction time?

What it does, as a matter of fact, is allow you to strike first. That is coddling. You should be open to attack if you wish to PVP, period.

Edited by LordArtemis

Were talking PVE server. So it isn't a open world. There are the designated areas but that is it. Otherwise the little Caresteers would be running around trying to grief everyone. If someone happens to auto-target and fire well oh well. Can the system be improved to take that out of the system. Yes with a toggle. If your so up on PVP then go to a pvp server.

Oh of course all flagged PvPers are trying to trick PvEers into PvP... :p

Assume the worst much? Do you often think that the entire world of total strangers revolves around you?

Also just an fyi, when PvEers use the word "grief" when talking about PvP, most PvPers just figure they are badly butt hurt and emotionally scared from some ROFLSTOMPING they got in the past :p

I can't puzzle out the middle paragraph, I don't see how that was relevant to anything.

Did you just accuse me of crying? If so, I believe it is actually you that is engaging in the very behavior you are accusing others of. If not, then I digress.

Sometimes all you have is a second to react....to what? The presence of a flagged player? If you are unflagged they can't attack you...so how would you turning on a flag reduce your reaction time?

What it does, as a matter of fact, is allow you to strike first. That is coddling. You should be open to attack if you wish to PVP, period.

I don't think you know what coddling means. Even if you think you do, you're applying to a situation where it's not relevant. I don't advocate keeping the system the way i do because i need it to protect me, i run around flagged all the time. i have no problem with unflagged players attacking me with no warning, most PVP'ers don't. the only ones who usually whine are the carebears who flag up and then get facerolled because their group of 4 pve'ers cant take down one or two geared pvp'ers.

As for your last paragraph, stop presenting your opinion as fact. It's not. Bioware's opinion is what matters, and in the absence of evidence to the contrary, theirs remains the same as it has for a while now; the system is fine as is.

Were talking PVE server. So it isn't a open world. There are the designated areas but that is it. Otherwise the little Caresteers would be running around trying to grief everyone. If someone happens to auto-target and fire well oh well. Can the system be improved to take that out of the system. Yes with a toggle. If your so up on PVP then go to a pvp server.

OWPVP can happen wherever players wish it too. It's not confined to designated areas at all.

And FFS, stop with the "go to a pvp server" rhetoric. Everyone knows those servers have a much lower population, and if you want to do any raiding at all, a pvp server isn't an option. Being interested in PVP does not exclude someone from being eligible to enjoy the rest of the game as well.

1) Simply not true, just try it in game.

2) Nope the activation fails, or the target was already dead BEFORE it was started. Usually when ranged do this the target died and they were button mashing. Again go in game and try it, don't make yourself look foolish by posting incorrect information.

3) He attacked, auto target is an excuse.

Just gonna point out that I shouldn't have to be cautious of another player intending to kill me if I didn't have my flag on. I should be able to "Button mash" all I want without fear of some random stealther intending to use it against me. Thats the point .

Edited by Cordarn

Just gonna point out that I should have to be cautious of another player intending to kill me if I didn't have my flag on. I should be able to "Button mash" all I want without fear of some random stealther intending to use it against me. Thats the point .

There's still no evidence that's what happened. For all you really know, he was trying to help.

i have no problem with unflagged players attacking me with no warning, most PVP'ers don't.

I disagree. I think most PVP players want to be able to attack someone they see coming instead of getting blindsided.

I am not foolish. I know exactly why some PVP players defend this system. Only some mind you...others want to see it change. As do I.

Note...this does not mean I am questioning your motives. I have no reason to believe you do not believe what you say, or call into question your statement that you actually do remain flagged all the time. I can believe that.

But that does not make you right. Nor does it make me right...it only represents that we have a different opinion on the matter, and that is how it will likely stand.

The reasons for those former folks I spoke about....

1) They wish to attack non PVP players because they are not skilled at PVP and this is the only way they can get kills.

2) They wish to have an advantage over a flagged player, by having the ability to strike first, otherwise they could not hope to beat that player.

In both cases it coddles a less skilled PVP player. That is why it needs to change IMO.

As far as the "presenting my opinions as facts"....you of all people should know I go out of my way to point out when my posts are facts...and when they are opinion. I have spoken the words "Bioware decides" many times. Your preaching to the choir here.

I am the poster child for IMO after all.

But we do agree on one thing...PVP players should not be forced to join PVP servers. Not everyone enjoys that kind of environment, even if they enjoy rigorous PVP.

Edited by LordArtemis

OWPVP can happen wherever players wish it too. It's not confined to designated areas at all.

And FFS, stop with the "go to a pvp server" rhetoric. Everyone knows those servers have a much lower population, and if you want to do any raiding at all, a pvp server isn't an option. Being interested in PVP does not exclude someone from being eligible to enjoy the rest of the game as well.

people who want to pvp (people who want to flag un-flagged people for a easy kill are who im talking about. also im not referring to all pvpers as them) shouldn't make life hard for those who just want to do the dailies. Since people seem to be immature enough to do it anyway, implementing a system so it doesn't happen would limit the amount of times it would happen so it wouldn't matter. Is it really a bad thing if Bioware takes a couple of minutes to ensure people won't get their gameplay disturbed by someone who is being childish.

(Also if you think the person I was attacked by wasn't out for easy kills il let you know again that he attacked a level 31 (granted he was flagged so their wasn't foul play, but he was also level 55.) he attacked the level 31 out of all the flagged 55's in the immediate area. I didn't see him once pop out of stealth to kill anyone at his level who was flagged.

Edited by Cordarn

I disagree. I think most PVP players want to be able to attack someone they see coming instead of getting blindsided.

I am not foolish. I know exactly why some PVP players defend this system. Only some mind you...others want to see it change. As do I.

Note...this does not mean I am questioning your motives. I have no reason to believe you do not believe what you say, or that you actually do remain flagged all the time. I can believe that.

But that does not make you right. Nor does it make me right...it only represents that we have a different opinion on the matter, and that is how it will likely stand.

The reasons for those former folks I spoke about....

1) They wish to attack non PVP players because they are skilled at PVP and this is the only way they can get kills.

2) They wish to have an advantage over a flagged player, by having the ability to strike first, otherwise they could not hope to beat that player.

In both cases it coddles a less skilled PVP player. That is why it needs to change IMO.

As far as the "presenting my opinions as facts"....you of all people should know I go out of my way to point out when my posts are facts...and when they are opinion. I have spoken the words "Bioware decides" many times. Your preaching to the choir here.

I am the poster child for IMO after all.

But we do agree on one thing...PVP players should not be forced to join PVP servers. Not everyone enjoys that kind of environment, even if they enjoy rigorous PVP.

Point taken on the IMO thing. I do see you post that quite often.

Regarding changing the system, yes, you're right. Some do abuse it. But the potential for abuse is far outweighed by the spontaneous pvp it generates. Someone who runs around flagged is actively inviting PVP. I do it all the time to try to start something. It's not a surprise when someone attacks me, since I'm expecting it (I don't run around flagged all the time, sometimes I just want to get the dailies done asap). Sometimes i can be riding my speeder by a group and get attacked. that probably wouldn't happen if they had to manually flag. That's what i mean by only a small window to react. Sometimes you just have to give people a nudge to get them to go. Having to manually flip a toggle makes it a lot more than a nudge.

people who want to pvp (people who want to flag un-flagged people for a easy kill are who im talking about. also im not referring to all pvpers as them) shouldn't make life hard for those who just want to do the dailies. Since people seem to be immature enough to do it anyway, implementing a system so it doesn't happen would limit the amount of times it would happen so it wouldn't matter. Is it really a bad thing if Bioware takes a couple of minutes to ensure people won't get their gameplay disturbed by someone who is being childish.

(Also if you think the person I was attacked by wasn't out for easy kills il let you know again that he attacked a level 51 (granted he was flagged so their wasn't foul play, but he was also level 55.) he attacked the level 31 out of all the flagged 55's in the immediate area. I didn't see him once pop out of stealth to kill anyone at his level who was flagged.

Fair enough. I don't support that type of griefing.

Point taken on the IMO thing. I do see you post that quite often.

Regarding changing the system, yes, you're right. Some do abuse it. But the potential for abuse is far outweighed by the spontaneous pvp it generates. Someone who runs around flagged is actively inviting PVP. I do it all the time to try to start something. It's not a surprise when someone attacks me, since I'm expecting it (I don't run around flagged all the time, sometimes I just want to get the dailies done asap). Sometimes i can be riding my speeder by a group and get attacked. that probably wouldn't happen if they had to manually flag. That's what i mean by only a small window to react. Sometimes you just have to give people a nudge to get them to go. Having to manually flip a toggle makes it a lot more than a nudge.

Ah...you actually have me there. I didn't think of players flagged riding by on their speeders. Yea, in that case I would have to admit the requirement to flag would put you at a disadvantage since the delay could be long enough for the player to get out of range.

I'll have to think about this a bit more. You made a good point.