Few Questions Regarding Various Classes

DollQueen

I'm not what you would really consider to be a "new" player, but I figured I'd get screamed at less for being a "n00b" if I posted here rather than in the class forums. Besides, I'm always looking to learn new things to make myself better.

I'm planning to level a new toon now my Juggernaut has gotten to level 47. I've had my share of grief playing that class as DPS (even though I've loved the story), and I honestly kind of hate it after having so much fun playing my Sentinel. I have a couple spare character slots, as well as some toons I have ready to start. Note, I do have Treek unlocked for all toons, as she's the best companion for fights I've ever used. I'm not looking to do OPs, though I might venture into a few HM FPs if I feel like it. I don't really get into WZs, though I admit I like kicking arse if I can (I don't play ranked). I really just can't decide what to play next, though I do have plenty of time with 12x XP lasting until December.

1. How easy is playing a Mercenary? I started one and got it to level 18 before I deleted it because the specific character attached to the class no longer interested me. Does the story get good after the Great Hunt? It's kind of a snooze fest as of Balmorra.

2. Guardian. I love the Knight story. However, after hating a DPS Juggernaut the whole way, I'm not sure how easy it will be playing a Guardian. Would I be better off trying to solo level a tank Guardian instead? I know nothing about gearing for tanks, as I've only played DPS and nothing else.

3. Vanguard. I've not enjoyed the story, but then again, starting planet stories aren't that great overall. Does the trooper story get better? I like playing a sort of "grey" trooper that sticks to orders and ends up screwing over civilians in the process. I'm getting used to the whole "melee but has a blaster" thing.

4. Shadow. I admit, I chose it because I think double-bladed lightsabers are really cool and I'd seen the high level attacks that come with the AC. I'm finally getting the hang of how to use the class, though Force management during boss fights still isn't working. However, I had played the consular story through Tatooine and thought it was a drag. Does it start getting better once chapter 1 finishes?

5. Sage. Same issue with the consular story. Is a DPS Sage a viable solo PVE option for a "noob" like me? It seems to be like an easy class on the surface, but I just wanted to be sure.

6. Sniper. I love the espionage and sneaking around in the Agent story since I played until Alderaan once. I'm kinda leaning toward this one, though it's a tad hard to play since I hate how my character looks, but that's easily resolved. Any difficulties playing solo with this class?

7. Gunslinger. I know it's the mirror class of Sniper. I honestly hate the Smuggler story. It's a little funny in spots and the flirting options are hilarious. But other than that, it's boring and I really don't get why the Smuggler really cares if Skavak has his ship if he gets a new one on Coruscant. Seems more like I should've caught up with Skavak by now. Does it get better after chapter 1? I just started Alderaan, so I'm close.

8. Scoundrel. I hate playing DPS with Scoundrel/Operative, I'll be honest. Tried it on both, now my Scoundrel is level 15 on my second go at this AC (first go, I got to Taris). Am I able to play a solo healer on this class at all, or should I just suck it up and play a DPS, then switch to healer once I get to endgame?

EDIT: 9. Assassin. I hate the Inquisitor story. I like Lord Zash, but everything else is yawn-worthy. I've played through Balmorra on it. Please tell me it gets better. I hear such good things about the story and I want to like it.

Sorry for the length of this post. Let me know if there's any missing information needed to help me. I think I covered all my bases, but I might've missed something. Thank you for your help!

Edited by DollQueen

Comments in red.

I'm not what you would really consider to be a "new" player, but I figured I'd get screamed at less for being a "n00b" if I posted here rather than in the class forums. Besides, I'm always looking to learn new things to make myself better.

Don't worry, I don't think the people who scream at noobs bother coming in here :p

I'm planning to level a new toon now my Juggernaut has gotten to level 47. I've had my share of grief playing that class as DPS (even though I've loved the story), and I honestly kind of hate it after having so much fun playing my Sentinel. I have a couple spare character slots, as well as some toons I have ready to start. Note, I do have Treek unlocked for all toons, as she's the best companion for fights I've ever used. I'm not looking to do OPs, though I might venture into a few HM FPs if I feel like it. I don't really get into WZs, though I admit I like kicking arse if I can (I don't play ranked). I really just can't decide what to play next, though I do have plenty of time with 12x XP lasting until December.

The following comments are made by someone who mainly does story and WZs, not so much FPs and Ops.

1. How easy is playing a Mercenary? I started one and got it to level 18 before I deleted it because the specific character attached to the class no longer interested me. Does the story get good after the Great Hunt? It's kind of a snooze fest as of Balmorra.

Personally, I preferred playing the BH as a Powertech. Single blaster and flamethrower felt more ****** to me. I also have a Commando though (mirror class to Merc), and I feel like both are pretty easy classes in terms of skills and rotation. I would say the story gets at least more varied, although it's not THAT much better. Definitely more exciting than chapter 1's "go to this planet for your next target". Also taking down your nemesis at the end is quite satisfying.

2. Guardian. I love the Knight story. However, after hating a DPS Juggernaut the whole way, I'm not sure how easy it will be playing a Guardian. Would I be better off trying to solo level a tank Guardian instead? I know nothing about gearing for tanks, as I've only played DPS and nothing else.

I have to say I really enjoyed playing a Warrior even though my main Pub is a Sentinel. Played him as a tank though, but mostly in WZs because group PvE gets too tedious for me. I feel like the Warrior/Guardian has more utility in terms of stuns, a throw, friendly leap etc (Sent is just damage all the way, which is fun too but in a different way). Leveling a tank is generally a bit "harder" (not that it's hard, just that you actually have to pay attention to what you're doing lol).

3. Vanguard. I've not enjoyed the story, but then again, starting planet stories aren't that great overall. Does the trooper story get better? I like playing a sort of "grey" trooper that sticks to orders and ends up screwing over civilians in the process. I'm getting used to the whole "melee but has a blaster" thing.

As I said, I went Commando for my Trooper and feel like the ranged playstyle fits him better, but that might just be me. I enjoy the playstyle of my PT BH too though. Haven't even finished Ch 1, so I can't comment on the story.

4. Shadow. I admit, I chose it because I think double-bladed lightsabers are really cool and I'd seen the high level attacks that come with the AC. I'm finally getting the hang of how to use the class, though Force management during boss fights still isn't working. However, I had played the consular story through Tatooine and thought it was a drag. Does it start getting better once chapter 1 finishes?

The Consular story is more about diplomacy and ending the war, rather than the Knight's focus on battle and killing ***********. Played my first Con as a Sage healer, which fit very well with the story. I have made a shadow though (only L15 so far) and intend to play him mostly DS.

5. Sage. Same issue with the consular story. Is a DPS Sage a viable solo PVE option for a "noob" like me? It seems to be like an easy class on the surface, but I just wanted to be sure.

Others will have to comment, I haven't played a DPS Sage/Sorc further than L15-ish.

6. Sniper. I love the espionage and sneaking around in the Agent story since I played until Alderaan once. I'm kinda leaning toward this one, though it's a tad hard to play since I hate how my character looks, but that's easily resolved. Any difficulties playing solo with this class?

I had no problem leveling a Gunslinger, although I did have Treek. I would say it's not exaclty high on the difficulty scale, but not being very mobile you have to use DCD's well.

7. Gunslinger. I know it's the mirror class of Sniper. I honestly hate the Smuggler story. It's a little funny in spots and the flirting options are hilarious. But other than that, it's boring and I really don't get why the Smuggler really cares if Skavak has his ship if he gets a new one on Coruscant. Seems more like I should've caught up with Skavak by now. Does it get better after chapter 1? I just started Alderaan, so I'm close.

Honestly, not that much. I still haven't completed Ch 3, though that's partly due to me leveling him to L55 through other means just before the 12x bonus came around lol.

8. Scoundrel. I hate playing DPS with Scoundrel/Operative, I'll be honest. Tried it on both, now my Scoundrel is level 15 on my second go at this AC (first go, I got to Taris). Am I able to play a solo healer on this class at all, or should I just suck it up and play a DPS, then switch to healer once I get to endgame?

I'm currently leveling an Operative healer, at L40-ish now. Haven't had any trouble at all, using Kaliyo as comp. I do have a reasonably high Presence stat though.

EDIT: 9. Assassin. I hate the Inquisitor story. I like Lord Zash, but everything else is yawn-worthy. I've played through Balmorra on it. Please tell me it gets better. I hear such good things about the story and I want to like it.

My first L55 was an Assassin, and I loved it! It does get better, the main reason I like it is because it offered something that I felt some of the other classes lacked - an explanation to his/her increase in power in short time. Also has some ancestry of the character mixed in there.

Sorry for the length of this post. Let me know if there's any missing information needed to help me. I think I covered all my bases, but I might've missed something. Thank you for your help!

I've only played some of the classes and stories, but I'll comment where I can.

IMO, gearing for tanks isn't that hard for story missions. You'll need top end gear for FPs and OPs though. Playing a tank will require a little more time since you won't be doing as much damage. That said, you're indestructible and will only die during solo missions if you fall asleep at the keyboard.

The story gets a little better, but it's still very cut and dry with none of the twists or intrigue that other class stories present. You can plan a "grey" trooper if you want. There are a lot of choices between doing something bad to help win the war or being a nice guy but hindering the war effort.

The consular story gets better. Chapter 2 is a bit more epic as you're focused on trying to win the war. Chapter 3 has a twist that I found pretty interesting.

There's a good twist or two along the way, but mostly it's more of the same that you saw in chapter 1. Funny conversations and characters, but the story itself is mediocre, IMO.

/QUOTE]

1. Mercenary is a fun class imo, especially for PvP. The bounty hunter story is boring the first two chapters, but chapter three is pretty good.

2. Guardian/Jug tanking is probably the most fun out of the three in my opinion. Gear wise you would want to get your defence chance up to around 14-15% and then rest in shield/absorb. Im sure the numbers for pve might scale a bit higher.

3. Vanguard story bored me to death, I gave up on it shortly after chapter one.

4. Shadow story starts getting better after chapter 1. Its my third favorite after the Inquisitor and Warrior stories. Definitely worth checking out. As for the force management, it sucks while leveling, but when you get to 55 you'll notice its easier to manage force.

5. Yes, DPS sage is a viable option for PvE, both specs are really nice right now.

6. I'm actually working on my sniper next, but so far its been fine.

7. Did the slinger story, didnt care for it. Only completed chapter 2 so I could get the legacy buff. It is a fun class to play though, which is why I got mine to max level.

8. Its not impossible to level as a healer scoundrel, but it might be faster doing so. That being said I didn't do much fighting when leveling my shadow/sin since I skipped most mobs with stealth. I would imagine scoundrels being the same.

9. The assassin story is my favorite in the game. It gets way better after chapter 1, trust me. The finale is amazing.

I can speak for the Merc, Sniper, and Sage.

Personally I really like the Bounty Hunter storyline, but overall it seems like it's pretty hit or miss for most people. If you didn't like it by level 18 you probably won't like it the rest of the way. Gameplay-wise, I've been playing a Healing Mercenary (currently 47 on Corellia) and having a bit of a rough time with it, at least difficulty-wise (Other than that I do like the flow) . Of course that might be because I'm healer specced and mainly having to do DPS as well as being underlevelled for quite some time recently.

Sniper is one of the two classes I've gotten to 50 (The other being Marauder) and I really liked it. Both the story and the gameplay. I played with a Marksman spec through most of the levelling and didn't have many issues. Looks wise I'd advise finding a moddable armour set that you like the look of and get it off the GTN or through other means.

Sage is a class that I actually started playing just recently (Well, technically I started the character a year ago and got them to Level 14, but I just picked it back up) and I've been surprisingly getting into it. I'm even liking the story quite a lot, despite it usually being classified as one of the worst. I've been playing mostly as Telekinetics DPS and am finding it very fun and quick. (Force armour is an incredible ability, especially with the 10% extra absorption in Telekinetics)

Well the storylines I have played fairly far are: -

Bounty Hunter - I went Powertech and the close range fighting suits a BH more than a trooper, I have played a Commando and it is a very simple way to play atm, I managed to level up in Gunnery (cant remember the BH mirror) and can level up only using 3 moves, grav round, HIB and full auto. You are however going to be after "bounty of the day" type quests even after winning the great hunt.

Trooper - This is the only class I have completed to date, I found the overall story fun but it is a typical military story you are supposed to follow orders. Once chapter 1 is out the way you are filling out the rest of your squad for a important mission and the Gauntlet is my fav mission I have come across so far since all companions are fighting on screen at a time. Finally chapter 3 is about gaining support/resources for your final offensive.

Consular - I currently have a sage in chapter 2 and levelling TK spec which I find good. The story is less about action but more about gaining alliances especially after the end of chapter 1.

Knight - Typical "hero" storyline chapter 1 did not really work for me, I played Guardian, I tried tank with Kira but I do much prefer playing as a DPS.

I'll add my twenty credits.

Mercs are very easy to play. Simple rotation, good DPS, and heavy armour helps with survivability. The Bounty Hunter story is exactly what it says on the tin -- you hunt bounties. There is a personal element, but it comes a bit late. In exchange, however, you have some of the best companions in the game.

Levelling as a tank will always be slower than as a DPS, and you have to pay attention to what's going on. In flashpoints and ops, you'll be expected to know the mechanics of a fight and lead the group in between. That said, guardians are fairly easy to level with. When gearing, stack Defense over Absorb over Shield over Endurance over Strength, use a Shield Generator offhand, and disregard other secondary and tertiary stats like Power, Critical Rating, or Accuracy.

I like the Trooper story, but it's nothing exceptional. You're a soldier, you do black ops. You follow orders. No real surprises here.

I gotta admit here, I'm biased towards this class. I main a shadow, and have two assassins on the Impside, all of them tanks. Combat as a Shadow feels really satisfying due to a nice mix of melee and Force attacks, both in the tank and the dot tree (Kinetic Combat / Darkness and Balance / Madness, respectively).

The story is a bit love it or hate it for me. Personally, I loved it. Unlike the knight, the Consular made me feel like an actual Jedi Master, an influential diplomat and politician. The first chapter can be a bit repetitive, as can every other class' act one, but the story really comes into its own on Alderaan.

Sage / sorc is another class I love. Got two sorcs and one sage. Healing feels unique and requires a bit more foresight than the other healing classes due to your bubble. DPS is great fun, in both trees, and for sorcs additionally looks awesome. Due to light armour, you'll be a bit squishier than other classes, but you'll be fine using a tank or melee DPS companion and occasionally using your bubble and great self-heals. In addition to that, you get a lot of pushback reduction talents, which help with soloing.

Sniper is fun, though I prefer operatives. You won't really have any difficulties, at least in Marksmanship tree -- once you get Series of Shots and Followthrough, you'll burn through enemies before they even have a chance to hit you.

Honestly, Smuggler was my least favourite class story. Most of it seemed to be a vessel for cheap jokes, without any real substance. There is no overarching plot, the planetary stories have little impact or interest, the characters and enemies are forgettable. Had some funny lines, though.

Healing on any class is difficult, if not impossible, until you've got a decent amount of talent points to spend in the healing tree. Until you do that, you're essentially stuck with the default offheals you have access to in DPS trees, which are ineffective and ressource-hungry. I've tried levelling my operative as healer until Nar Shaddaa, so I can't really comment on higher levels (Concealment / Scrapper FTW), but from reading the skill tree it seems energy management will get a lot easier once you get the free heal that only consumes Upper Hand and the restored energy on Diagnostic Scan (?) crits. Play as DPS until about lvl 30, is my suggestion.

This is the point where I have to emphatically disagree. The Inquisitor is my favourite class in the game. I've played two assassins and two sorcerers, and had a blast on all of them. I like how much the Inquisitor ties into Force mysticism and Sith sorcery, which are much more interesting than the boring telekinesis and occasional lightning we see in Star Wars films. I love how much emphasis is put on the power politics of the Empire, and how they tone down the war a bit instead of just going along with it. I love how both genders and all alignments of Inquisitors are habitually sarcastic and the slightest bit insane. And, most of all, I love the personal feel of the story. It is immensely satisfying to rise from slavery to <spoiler redacted>.

1. Mercenary.

Story gets better after Great Hunt, something about gaining access to elite-target bounties, and things don't proceed according to plan (unlike the Great Hunt which went exactly as scheduled). You also get involved in the game's prime fiction, and you can actually choose to side with the Republic if you wish, fight the Empire briefly.

2. Guardian.

I soloed as a tank guardian; your main companion, Kira, works well as DPS while you tank, and for the tougher bosses you can easily bring in the Doc. Gearing for tanks is easy: unless you're max level trying to do operations, just get whatever gear you can afford, doesn't matter all that much. Str, End, Defense, and some Shield and Absorb in whatever quantities you can find cheaply. Combat consists of keeping enemies off Kira and activating your stuns and "I'm immune for 15 seconds" abilities with perfect timing to handle incoming damage, while she does the killing for you.

3. Trooper.

Playing through Trooper right now. I'm playing "screw orders, do what's right," and feel that I made the right choice because the orders seem to be coming from corrupt leadership. I won't be surprised if the targets I've been ordered to kill turn out to be the good guys, and my commanding officers the bad guys. Could never get used to melee+blaster so I picked the ranged healer advanced class and I'm just ignoring the healer tree and speccing DPS. Everything is 30m ranged; I have multiple AoE's and a decent single-target rotation.

4. Consular story.

Yes the story gets better after Chapter 1. Consular story is a bit odd, in that the cutscenes depict you as more powerful than Yoda, but then they end and you go into combat and the gameplay is meh (you're not any more powerful than the Smuggler with the blasters). However, after Ch. 1 it gets better, esp. if you pick all the [Mind Trick] or [Force Use] dialogue options, to maximize the epic feeling of the cutscenes.

5. Sage.

I played DPS Sage and it was one of the more powerful characters. The DPS talent tree makes a lot of your force attacks hit twice, and it's pretty cool when you instakill a boss because you managed to get a 6-shot opener from crits. I could consistently solo equal-level "2 bosses + 3 minions" groups because of the "park a target for 60 seconds" crowd control ability.

6. Imperial Agent.

Keep a journal while you play your story line; all the espionage turns into a mystery novel. The IA story is rumored to wrap up all the other class stories, giving the behind-the-scenes explanations to why things happen. I played the ranged sniper AC, didn't have any problems with it; good mix of shoot them from cover until they come close, then stun and finish them off with the couple melee attacks I got.

7. Gunslinger.

You don't catch up with Skavak till later, but I liked the story because of two things:

a. Every plan is so damn convoluted - every other class gets quests along the lines of "go here, kill this guy, bring back his datapad, done", but with the Smuggler it's always crazy schemes that involve multiple gangsters that must be appeased before you even get to meet your main target.

b. You go from hating Skavak and running after him to making fun of Skavak as YOU ruin HIS plans, to the point where he tries one last desperate move to turn things around and gets sucked into a black hole. Also, there's a treasure hunt for the huge fortune that a long-dead pirate managed to gather and hide, and, well I won't spoiler it, but all the class story final chapters end with a leadership position of some sort, right? Jedi Master, member of the Dark Council, Pirate Boss...