The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tagged for PvP!?

DarkCrossing

What's this? Haven't been on in a couple weeks. Played last night, got an upload before starting, and while on two of the quests I did, both times, a player at least 5 - 6 levels above me was in there and killed me. :mad: No answer to why, no challenge to duel just jumped out and proceeded to beat on my toon. After hiding in a corner and resurrecting my toon I saw a message on the screen "you have been untagged for PvP" or something like that.

I don't do PvP, never have on this game or any other MMO and none of my toons is built for PvP. How is it a toon can be "tagged" for PvP by another that can be any level? Doesn't seem right that a level 40, 50 or 60 toon can just come into a quest and kill a toon 20 -30 levels below them. Is there a setting I need to change to keep this from happening again? :confused:

If you go to a PVP area or if one of your attacks damages a toon that is tagged for PVP you become tagged for PVP too. This means that if a PVP tagged toon steps into one of your AOE attacks, you might not even notice that you've been tagged while you're fighting NPCs.

And once you're tagged for PVP, what level you are doesn't matter. Nor can another player tag you for PVP, you do that yourself. Though they can help you do that by purposefully standing in your AOE attacks.

IIRC It's always been like that. It's been a while since I was in PVP, but there is a UI indication if you are or not. And I believe there is a message that lets you know when you become tagged. But the only way to know if you are targeting a PVP tagged toon is if you see it with your own eyes.

Could be, but this is the first time I've ever had this happen. I wasn't in a PvP area, just doing a quest I'd gotten from a contact. I had to leave the quest to do something else and left my toon at the entrance. When I came back, about 45 minutes later, I re-entered the quest fought my way back to where I'd had to quit. Helped another player, not a teammate, defeat a boss, which I've done many times. I always wait until the toon I'm helping makes the first contact and my targeting circle is white, showing that it is not my target. I believe the toon that attacked me was not the same one I'd just helped., but could this be where I got "tagged?" I'll have to look more closely when helping another player to see if it happens again.

When you become tagged, a noise plays (sounds like a timpani to me), a message appears on the screen, and a little icon appears on your character's icon (the little headshot near your health). These can be easy to miss if you're in the middle of doing something else.

Helping a PVP tagged player can sometimes tag you. It's possible that helping the one person got you tagged, then an enemy came along and attacked when they saw you as tagged. I'm not sure how the helping mechanic works exactly. I think if you heal or buff someone engaged in PVP, you become tagged, but beyond that, I'm not certain.

Friendly players that are flagged for PvP have green nameplates and flagged members of the opposite faction are yellow. You can also get flagged if you get too close to the opposite faction's bases. It's pretty easy to get unflagged by standing in a rest zone (cantina, stronghold, fleet) for, I think, 5 minutes.

OK. Is there some way to know if I'm attacking something tagged to prevent myself from being tagged? Is this something new they've added. I never had this happen before.

You can get tagged:

- If you get close to a city or base of the opposite faction. For example on Tatooine, if you're Republic and get close to an imperial base, you should see a countdown in the middle of your screen, and then you'll get flagged when it reaches 0.

- If you heal, buff, or rez a friendly player who is tagged. There is no countdown or warning; as soon as your helping spell hits, you're flagged. Friendly players who are flagged PVP will have a green name tag instead of the normal blue.

- If you attack an enemy player who is flagged. Their name tag will be yellow, or possibly red.

- If your companion attacks an enemy player who is flagged. What can happen is: enemy player drags a red aggressive NPC to you, your companion attacks the NPC with an AoE, the enemy player gets hit by the AoE, and voila.

Edited by Merouk