Wherein Ellie rethinks her reaction to concerns over 12xXP

EllieAnne

Trying to pin it on mental capacity is still an attempt to avoid placing responsibility on the person. The tendency isn't in any way new: I see it at the organizational level all the time where somehow everything good that happens everyone claims and everything bad is either systemic or the responsibility of the least powerful teammate in any other department. If we get fat it isn't because we don't exercise, it isn't because we didn't mind our caloric intake, it is because of someone or something besides our own self-control. If we have an accident it is always either the machine, someone else's negligence, or nobody told the customer fresh brewed coffee is very hot. Or 'I'm sorry our network/computers are down right now could you call back another day?'. Or it was Lag did it.

If you are in PvP and someone loses it is always 'my sucky team' and 'I could only do so much' and never a mention of maybe the other team just played a better match.

It is a cultural thing. It isn't my fault the people in <starving nation> are hungry because I really want this stack of ten pancakes runny with butter and pure maple syrup and oh yes please pass that good English style bacon. Give to charity? No way I'm not going to coddle the losers: I got mine let them fend for themselves. It is all wrapped up together. Human beings are selfish and self-centered by nature.

It is only with self-discipline that we achieve good outcomes.

Just be sure and listen to my words without examining how I live, k? Thx: Bye

I agree with you. My statement was regarding that exact fact that you elaborated on very well. What I should have said was they refuse to acknowledge (or simply don't understand, hence mental capacity) that people are primarily responsible. It has nothing to do with the event itself.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a cultural thing. It isn't my fault the people in <starving nation> are hungry because I really want this stack of ten pancakes runny with butter and pure maple syrup and oh yes please pass that good English style bacon. Give to charity? No way I'm not going to coddle the losers: I got mine let them fend for themselves. It is all wrapped up together. Human beings are selfish and self-centered by nature.

On a side note, two things:

1) It often isn't your fault -- the causality of starvation in third-world states usually doesn't link back to individuals in the first world, but rather to poor and/or amoral choices made locally. If the farmers lose their herds or can't get into their fields because of two petty warlords fighting over a scrap of land, or if the local strongman forces the people to grow poppies instead of wheat, how is Martha in Iowa 1000s of miles away causing that to happen? In short, "children in Africa" aren't starving because someone in Davenport pays $15/month for a SWTOR sub.

2) One does not need to give everything to the point of depriving one's self of all fruits of one's own labors, to reach out and help alleviate or mitigate the suffering of those less fortunate. Ironically, it's the disdain for moderation in our own culture that makes some people believe there's no middle ground between doing nothing, and giving every last dime to charity. And the guilt-based fund-raising of certain charities doesn't help.

@Killjoy Okay, sure, and I'd say Guilt-based marketing soils the goodness of benevolence and cheapens the act of giving. But I don't think avoiding responsibility for failures or seizing responsibility for a good another does is a healthy trend either. And while it would be wasteful to mail my soggy pancakes to Mombasa I can at least feel a little better about my tax dollars that go to foreign aid.

Your spandex is clearly too tight this morning. Your estimation of my intelligence is limited by your own.

I'll pretend to know what that means.

and I call what I see. You take something someone else said, reworded to what YOU wanted then proclaimed you "fixed it"

that's self-centered, idiocy. You think your way is the only truth. which in and of itself is not only egotistical and downright stupid. But flat wrong.

I think I pegged your intelligence about right. Tight spandex or not. (cute term btw..just shows an even lower intelligence)