Can a Commando Solo as well as..

CLASSlFlED

A guardian tank?

I just recently hit level 48 (for the first time) and managed to (with a bit of effort) solo the first 4 man quest on makeb, i had to destroy some turrets, free some prisoners then take out some AA guns, and with treek and myself, we managed to get it done.

My question is this, if i was put in the same spot with a commando (either healing or DPS'ing, whichever would be more efficient) would i be able to do this?

I'm asking because i really like the lore of troopers, the 501st being my main reason for wanting to play a trooper, and I never really play Ranged DPS or healers in MMO's so i decided it'd be a nice welcome change, just wanted to get some information into how well they are when it comes to solo'ing, will i be able to knock out top level dungeons solo with a commando?

I main a Commando and I gotta say it's pretty good at soloing stuff. Not AS DURABLE as a tank, but very good for a DPS if you spec Gunnery (Reflexive Shield talent works wonders, I sure hope it's available as a utility in 3.0), and you also have a CC, some cheap heals including an AoE, and some gnarly damage.

Mine is geared in full 180s (apart from 162/168 armorings for set bonus) and I can solo the Oricon heroic without trouble and I've gotten soloing certain 50 HM flashpoints (such as Battle of Ilum) down to a science.

Teal deer: not quite as durable as Guardian tank, but capable of killing stuff fast and beating enrage timers. Overall quite good.

commando should perform better. companion healers will never heal as well as a player healer in the same gear, but companion tanks get quite close to player tanks in mitigation. you also have a 1 minute cooldown cc that you can refresh in combat and the ability to either weave in heals or hybrid with kolto shell or the trooper equivalent.

i have two vanguards and may do a commando next when my finances recover from this 12x thing.