The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best Class for each Crew Skill

EnvyShade

I've been browsing around reading about crew skills and such. As I understand it... no matter what class you are or what side you're on... you can send items to all of your alts.

I'm currently taking advantage of the 12x XP and lvling up a char in each class.

Republic:

Jedi Knight - Guardian

Jedi Consular - Shadow

Smuggler - Gunslinger

Trooper - Commando

Empire:

Sith Warrior - Maruader

Sith Inquisitor - Sorceror

Imperial Agent - Operative

Bounty Hunter - Powertech

Great fun and all that. I've only maxed out two classes so far, but anyways, making good progress. Point is however I want to pick every crew crafting skill that there is and assign the ones that fit best.

I've read: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015 <----- great info btw

I specifically looked at:

k. Overall Summary

Best at crew skill combos:

Artifice: Sith Inquisitor (7)

Synthweaving: Sith Inquisitor (7)

Armstech: Trooper & Smuggler (7)

Armormech: Trooper & Bounty Hunter (7)

Biochem: Imperial Agent (7)

Cybertech: Smuggler (7)

Profit: Trooper, Smuggler, Sith Inquisitor, Imperial Agent, & Bounty Hunter (7)

So, overall... 5 of the 8 classes are listed.... BAH - I'm kinda looking for BEST, 2nd BEST, and 3rd BEST for each crew skill, that'd be cool. Does anyone of that information?

I came up with so far:

Artifice: Sith Inquisitor (7)

Synthweaving: Jedi Consular (6)

Armstech: Smuggler (7)

Armormech: Trooper (7)

Biochem: Imperial Agent (7)

Cybertech: Bounty Hunter (6)

Profit:

Should I throw my Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior into the profit category or perhaps double up on some of the crafting crew skills? Should I rearrange who gets what in this list? (Honestly, my Jedi Knight is already maxed out in Artifice... but it seems the Inquisitor would be a better choice... then again I could just throw the Inquisitor into profit.... still leaves the Warrior though) Any good opinions would be great.

I am honestly looking for guidance - the "doesn't matter posts" ain't for me.. and this isn't about making creds either. Anyways, thanks.

I believe that guide focuses on crew skill synergy including Efficiency ratings which I don't have an opinion on efficiency's usefulness. You should never have to have more than two of the same crafting skills except for maybe Biochem and Cybertech for their reusables if you wish to do so.

Now on the basis of which class gets a crit in a crafting skill then (I got this from psandak's post that summarizes them)

Synthweaving: Knight/Warrior (+5 crit)

Biochem: Knight (+5)

Armormech: Trooper (+5)

Armstech: Smuggler (+5)

Cybertech: Droid sensoring unit (+5)

Artifice: only treek and HK (+1)

These are the absolute best crits for each crew skill of those classes. I don't remember the classes that have craft crits that aren't (+5) like (+2 crits).

For missions skill crits:

Diplomacy: IA (+5)

Treasure hunting: Warrior (+5)

UT: IA and Inquistor (+2)

Investigation: Smuggler and Warror?(+2)

For slicing: Knights, Inquistor, IA, (+2 crit), Smuggler (+1)

Again these are just the "best" or highest and some class will have crits in those areas like trooper and Consular both UT (+1) and Dipolmacy (+2)

For "best" synergy in terms of crits not including efficiency :

Trooper: armormech

Smuggler: armstech

These two just practically seem to be made with those craft skills in mind

Cybertech: (need droid sensor unit for Crit) Trooper (crits in UT and scavenging), can also do consular (crits in scavenging and UT)

Not as important synergy:

Artifice: SI (Archeology crit +5 ) or SW for TH (+5) (also SI gets +15 artifice efficiency if you care) HK and treek needed for Artifice crit

Biochem: knight (high crit +5) or BH (bioanalysis crit +2)

I might miss some other classes but those are the synergies off the top of my head.

Also if you plan to do many alts then just the craft crits matter since all other alts should be pure gatherers/craft supplementers. and can supply material for your crafters. Lastly crits don't matter as much (still beneficial though for costs vs gains) in gathering as in missions or crafting as it gives more of the same thing within that rank.

It seems Pub heavy so if you don't want that then for IMPS:

BH:Biochem/armstech

IA:armormech

SW:synthweave

SI:zero believe or not (+15 artifice efficiency which is extremely high)

I'm not an expert on crafting bonus perferences and whether or not +2 vs +5 crit is a big difference.

Psandak might chime in and help on this topic.

Edited by Soupmaster

It depends on what you want to achieve. With 8 characters you pick 24 crew skills from the 14 that are in the game. So some of them you have to pick more than once.

The only crafting skill I have more than once is Cybertech, for the crafting it allows me to do. Other than that I focus on gathering skills, in particular slicing.

Psandak might chime in and help on this topic.

Work interfering with web surfing...who da thunk it? :D

Anyway, the guide I produced several months ago (linked in my sig) is more current than the one referenced.

"best" is in the eyes of the beholder. My guide focuses in on five "priorities" and each player has to decide for him/herself what to prioritize.

Soupmaster intimated that efficiency bonuses are not of much benefit, and I tend to agree with that assessment; I too focus on +crit. That being said, with regard to gathering and mission skills, while the +crit is helpful, it is highly inefficient to only run missions with companions with +crit in the skill (grade 9 mission skills are the exception in that there is only one or two missions worth running and they do not always pop together). So my personal focus has been boiled down to +crit in crafting. And so based on my guide:

• Troopers are best at Armormech +5 Crit
  • Smugglers are best at Armstech +5 Crit
  • JK and SW are best at Synthweaving (with two companions with +5 crit (story companion and ship droid w/sensor)
  • JK are best at Biochem +5 Crit
  • Anyone can be "best" at Cybertech (with ship droid sensor) +5 Crit
  • Anyone can be "best" at Artifice (with HK and/or Treek; no story companion has +crit, best story companion is SI with +15 eff).

And I have (not so recently anymore) optimized my crafting skills accordingly:

• JK - Synthweaving
  • Trooper - Armormech
  • Smuggler - Armstech
  • BH - Cybertech
  • SI - Artifice
  • Consular - Biochem
  • (and I have two characters SW and Smuggler with no crafting skill)

All that being said, my long term goal is to "optimize" all my crew skills so that at least one companion has +crit to a chosen crew skill but that will entail a lot of releveling.

• 2 months later...

Might find this helpful:

New content added to the "Crew Skill - Critical / Efficiency Bonus for each Class/Companion." spreadsheet.

I added a table with the absolute best possible Distribution of Crew Skills between 8 Characters 1 of each Rep/Imp Class to achieve:

• Max Crit for all Craft skills.
  • Max Crit for all Gather/Mission skills.
  • Max Efficiency for all Gather/Mission skills.

If you use this setup you will have:

• Each Craft Skill once.
  • Each Gather/Mission skill twice.
  • Two Crew skill choices to do as you please.

This setup will require you to have 8 characters total 4 Republic and 4 Imperial.

If you see any need for corrections let me know.