The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

money making

LordTacoMan

hey guys and gals i was wondering what crew skills bring in the biggest payday? any tips are helpful

I have biochem, cyberthech an synthweving and i think all nice to make money (bio and cybertech maybe easier and faster than synthveaver)

Gather mats, craft stuff and play the gtn to sell, volumes are helpfull and knowing when or what to sell is also usefull

I have 11 55 toons so having more than 1 toon also helps :)

Cheers

Under Conquest conditions, Archaeology, Bioanalysis and Scavenging, to sell Level 1-2 mats. Under normal conditions, Underworld Trade, Scavenging and Slicing.

Markets are fluid, and at this point of time, the markets are over-saturated by crafted pieces & the competition from the crafters who have had many years of access to rare schematics and mats (and simple mats accumulation) and from the CM or time over credits planetary comms products is too high to make any one of the crafts of the finished goods a particular good money maker.

If you offset the cost of developing a craft through a few niche items on low levels (sub L30) and one or two on L53-54, you are doing good.

Crafting is a great tool that supplements your legacy. Gathering/missions are money winners, and that's only with the exaggerated demand for materials after Conquest.

Cybertech and Biochem. Low-level purple earpieces and implants go for crazy amounts, but REing them is very often painful with half success rate going from blue -> purple. They're an absolute nightmare as F2P, because 10%/5% instead of 20%/10% chance for RE, and they can RE several different schems (not always the one you want). Level 54 veracity earpieces and implants are the best tank gear, because they can stack a lot more shield/defense than the stuff vendors sell, including even 180 gear. Cybertech also makes armor modules (and the mod modules), which everyone needs a lot of. See also: REing lvl 54 earpieces and implants for augment slot component mk-9.

Artifice, because everyone likes Jedi. If you've got massive amounts of Mytag sitting around, 156-rated hilts are going for crazy prices. Some of the 156-rated crafted enhancement modules are superior defensively to most of the stuff sold by the elite com vendors, especially for tanks. For better ones, you will need to use those unassembled items dropped from operations to either use or RE. The low-tier veracity shield generators are better tank gear than you can get with craftable modules on an orange shield generator (up even until lvl 45ish!), but those don't sell quite like earpieces do. See also: REing lvl 54 offhands for augment slot component mk-9.

Synthweaving, because 156-rated stat augments. Fringe benefit: some pretty orange armor which occasionally sells. See also: REing lvl 54 green armors for augment slot component mk-9.

Armormech (I think) because tank augments. Fringe benefits: some pretty orange armor which occasionally sells. Or you could RE lvl 54 green armors for augment slot component mk-9.

Armstech mostly makes blaster barrels. I've had limited success selling orange items. Can RE lvl 54 guns for augment slot component mk-9. Can make a few augments, but generally people prefer the synthweaving augments. 156-rated blaster barrels have been pretty profitable for me because of the until-recently very low cost of top-tier investigation missions.

hey guys and gals i was wondering what crew skills bring in the biggest payday? any tips are helpful

See the "Crew Skill Money Making" link in my sig.

Based on the tone of your question you want to make money fast. For fast money sell materials. For best results (best bang for your buck) invest the resources into crafting. But crafting is an investment, it WILL take time to get a return on that investment, but the investment WILL return better profits than selling materials.

Crafting is a far superior money maker to any gathering skill, you just need to do your research to see why and how. ;)

yeah .... ehm ....???? welcome to 2.10 conquest where lowbe mats are selling for 2k per piece ;) You might want to recheck your spreadsheet if all values are still up to date

yeah .... ehm ....???? welcome to 2.10 conquest where lowbe mats are selling for 2k per piece ;) You might want to recheck your spreadsheet if all values are still up to date

Actually, just did. And while the pricing is good it is not THAT good (on the Harbinger anyway). Most of the stuff I checked fell into the 800 to 1200 range, which in my experience is fairly normal.

And even then, materials are a good burst - selling a stack of material - but then one has to rebuild one's stock. And that takes time. So while you are rebuilding your stock - spending time and/or credits in the process - I am still selling my crafted goods at a profit.

Furthermore...ahem...12x XP for subs is creating a MASSIVE demand for mid to high level (but not level cap) crafted goods.

Crafting is a far superior money maker to any gathering skill, you just need to do your research to see why and how.

yeah .... ehm ....???? welcome to 2.10 conquest where lowbe mats are selling for 2k per piece You might want to recheck your spreadsheet if all values are still up to date

It's even better now then it was before. Material shortages and the diversion of competitive crafters who are focusing on invasion supplies for the conquest points are decreasing the supply of crafted goods while increasing the price/per material cost you can charge and still move product. All while the class story experience bonus is increasing demand across several market sectors, including some that were totally dead like non-moddable gear. It's a wonderful time to be crafting for profit.

Actually, just did. And while the pricing is good it is not THAT good (on the Harbinger anyway). Most of the stuff I checked fell into the 800 to 1200 range, which in my experience is fairly normal.

And even then, materials are a good burst - selling a stack of material - but then one has to rebuild one's stock. And that takes time. So while you are rebuilding your stock - spending time and/or credits in the process - I am still selling my crafted goods at a profit.

Furthermore...ahem...12x XP for subs is creating a MASSIVE demand for mid to high level (but not level cap) crafted goods.

I definitely have to agree here. With my Synthweaver & Armormech i've been selling low & Mid level armor for slightly more (no point getting greedy) than I normally do & all items are selling same day I post them. that isnt including the Augments, barrels, Armorings, Mods & Enhancements that I'm posting. Right now I am finding 12x EXP a god send to crafters b/c levelers aren't getting enough coms to buy good gear, so if better stuff is reasonably priced (but for profit of course) on GTN it sells & sells quick.

yeah .... ehm ....???? welcome to 2.10 conquest where lowbe mats are selling for 2k per piece ;)

And I've raised the price on my crafted stuff in response as well. I'm making an even bigger profit margin than a single unit of a crafted material and not spending a dime on any of the overpriced lowbie mats.

yeah .... ehm ....???? welcome to 2.10 conquest where lowbe mats are selling for 2k per piece You might want to recheck your spreadsheet if all values are still up to date

Nope there are still many areas I make better money from the crafted result than the value of the mats that go into them.

I think some of the top selling greens I can get go for roughly 2K each per stack of 99 consistently ( some can flaot 3K for higher though depending on the day etc. ) so be generous and say 200K, not sure what the full profit on gathering 99 is either but even if it were a full 200K I can make that profit off some of my crafted items by 4 of them at the right time, 10 of them at worse times. Gathering the mats myself makes better profit but when I work out my profit it's not really my true profit either but more so "how much more I would make using my mats vs selling them" e.g. I make 50K MORE using my mats crafting and selling item X than if I had sold those materials outright.

Also looking at some parts of the market it's like I've stumbled across this insanely profitable area that just no one seems to have cottoned on to. You would know it if you know it and would probably likewise keep quiet about it since very few seem to sell out of it.

Holy moley have you seen the companion gift market also? 40K each rakata grenades, I had 2 x 99 stacks of those purple gift fragments that I had inadvertently gained doing other things so that was an easy almost million almost as a side profit since I wasn't trying to get companion gifts to get the gifts and fragments.

Also no, companion gifts aren't what I eluded to above either though they are a nice money maker right now. I think there is a couple of blue grade gifts going for like 20k each too.

Also with the 12x EXP there would ideally be a downside in time as it will bring in more crafters/gatherers to the market. Though this may just continue to be focused at conquest in which case it will actually drive some markets up long term for a few of the reasons others have touched on in this thread. Let's hope BW DON'T remove crafting as the "I win" pay to play method for conquest - my guild just world topped last week's conquest event, cost me quite a bit to put my own wee effort in but all good once in a while :) How guilds do it week in and out is crazy

Things that sale for good profit, in high quantities...

* Low to mid level armoring, mods, hilts, barres, enhancements.

Things that sale for great profit, in good quantities...

* Low to mid level ears and implants

* Companion gifts

Things that sale for great profit, in moderate quantities...

* All those random artifact and even some prototype 'Requires 53' gear

* Crafted 'Requires 53 / 54' items

Things that have fallen in price substantially...

* Mass Manipulators and other 55 rare crafting items

* Augments and Therm Reg

Things that have held price or risen that shouldn't have given falling materials costs...

Hilts and barrels and other 34 / 180 crafted items

Edited by DawnAskham

Things that have held price or risen that shouldn't have given falling materials costs...

Buy out the mats market and craft ( be a lot more 55's soon ) t he 180 items. The material market would quickly increase.

I imagine though it's due to many crafters not being assed with the tightness of the 180 market in the past and now GSH/Conquest here there are far easier ways to make money than RNG schem hunting. Likewise the materials are probably becoming more abundant and as above the crafters less abundant so they've been able to hold the crafted price whilst picking up cheaper mats.

Might take a look when I get h ome and take advantage. :)

Just looked at pricing on The Harbinger of 180 Barrels, Hilts, Armorings, Mods, and Enhancements, ears, implants, and relics as well as the exotic materials needed to craft them...

While it is no longer better to sell materials and buy the crafted item modifications (as it once was in spades), ALL rating 180 crafted items have dropped in value relative to the materials:

• cost to purchase materials is about 1.4 million credits (2 MMGs, 8 I-5s, 8 EEEs)
  • cost to purchase any 180 item modification, is averaging about 1.5 million (so at least it is not a loss anymore)
  • cost to purchase ear, implant, relic is 2.5 million (but E,I,R have ALWAYS been higher value due to rarity of crafters; it is FAR easier to get item modification schematics (with the exception of most hilts [might hilt being the exception] and commando barrel) than E,I,R schematics).

Just looked at pricing on The Harbinger of 180 Barrels, Hilts, Armorings, Mods, and Enhancements, ears, implants, and relics as well as the exotic materials needed to craft them...

While it is no longer better to sell materials and buy the crafted item modifications (as it once was in spades), ALL rating 180 crafted items have dropped in value relative to the materials:

• cost to purchase materials is about 1.4 million credits (2 MMGs, 8 I-5s, 8 EEEs)
  • cost to purchase any 180 item modification, is averaging about 1.5 million (so at least it is not a loss anymore)
  • cost to purchase ear, implant, relic is 2.5 million (but E,I,R have ALWAYS been higher value due to rarity of crafters; it is FAR easier to get item modification schematics (with the exception of most hilts [might hilt being the exception] and commando barrel) than E,I,R schematics).

I can buy moderate quantities (e.g. not just cheapest nor the highest) of materials at a per unit price point of around 1.2MM (a few MMGs at 300, lots in the 320 range), while the cheapest barrel is posted up for 1.5MM (avg of stats closer to 1.8MM) and the cheapest hilt is posted up for 1.8M (avg of stats closer to 2MM).

Just a couple of weeks ago, materials were closer to 1.6MM, while barrels and hilts were about at the same price as today.

Edited by DawnAskham

All of them working in concert.

I couldn't pin down one in particular because the market can be rather volatile at times. As was mentioned, armor modifications are 'hot' right now and in general, armor sells best but some days, for example today, enhancements go for more. Likewise, someone cratered the market on Lost Artifact Fragments and while I bought up a quite a bit of them at a discount, I was uncomfortable with any greater exposure on that deal. Some days (or weeks) Carbonic Crystals are hot and others its Electrum.

Dye modules (crafted) fluctuate wildly. Black/Red go for 28-30K one day and dip to 12K the next.

It also really depends on where you are in the game. If you're lvl 55 and sitting in your SH/fleet all day, then the TH/Dip/UT/Inv might be better but if you're leveling on Belsavis, you can gather as you go and collect lots of valuable materials.

I tried a little bit here and there, mostly to see if I can pay my way to Armormech/Synth 450 score, but I found that armorings sell while whole pieces even with good stats lag behind. Interestingly, I can sell armoring in 20 K bracket but greens and blues whole items in 10K-15K bracket on the same levels. Couldn't sell purple hilt 156. Mats sell much faster and no returns. So, yeah, between inventory and ease of missions running for specific T1-2 mats, I still prefer mats. Either way, gods, the GTN is awesome nowadays. Edited by DomiSotto

Related to OP: I have an alt, whose crew skills are Bioanalysis, Scavenging, and Slicing. I have her sending Kaliyo out on Slicing missions when my GFS queues pop or if I'm just running around the Fleet, and she's bringing back augment schematics for crew skills other alts might be investing in: synthweaving, armstech, etc. Are these worth hanging onto, or should I sell them on the GTN along with all of the slicing parts? Since the goal for this alt is to make me money to afford GTN custom gear for the others, and my main already has Cybertech to make armoring & mods to go into said gear, are the augments worth the long-term investment, or am I better off getting cash now?

Since there is an expansion coming, that will have new levels of gear and more than likely new levels of augments, it might be difficult to get a good price for them. So you might as well use them to learn to craft augments yourself, if you have a suitable crafter for them.

Otherwise try to sell them. Soon only vendors will want to buy them from you.

• 3 weeks later...

The answer is different for everyone depending on play style. If you're trying to make money at the same time as keeping alts geared as you level them or helping your guild with conquest, there are factors that will decrease your earning potential.

The most critical ingredients in a money making plan are patience, research, and dedication. Getting all you skills and abilites working in concert is the key. Then identify market weakensses and exploit.

A few tips:

Don't grow attached to things. I am bad about this.

Don't spend credits on stuff you don't need including crafting materials. If they are cheap and you can turn them, great. but don't go to craft items to sell and pay full proce for the stuff you need.

Stay organized. Legacy banks are a revalation to dedicated crafters and the SWTOR 'merchant class' You CAN send your people out for either the most valuable stuff or stuff you need but often times not both. You have to decide how to balance that.

You can make awesome looking gear set ups on the cheap. If its expensive, it means other people want it and you'll look like they do. Be unique and save money at the same time. You don't have to wear Seris XYZ Cyborg crap but you don't need Revan's armor either.....there is even gear with similar skins much cheaper.

Use your Stronghold, arrange your crafting nodes well so you can farm them efficiently. If you don't have many alts, level a bunch of people to 10, select trade skills, and park them at nodes in your house to farm

Find out what conquest event is going on and exploit it. Find out what the crafting bonuses are for next week and load up on mats. You can list things Sunday night for 2 days, put them up at a good price (not the lowest) and be patient.

Use your bonus crafters to make items that bring back multiples when they crit. I use Vik for Prefabs and Augments through Armormech. Jaessa for augments and prefabs through Synth. Those bonus items are free money.

Likewise, send your bonus mission skill crew for materials. I send T7 for the 'Unsliceable" mission every time its up and get lots of Thermals to make tons of augments.

Grab everything while leveling. If there was 4,000 credits lying on the ground, you'd fight over it but people will pass right by a Nextor Crystal formation, too busy leveling to stop for it.

I have more but you get he idea. This isn't a complete list and a number of the things I do (and I get results) might seem inefficient to some. /shrug